Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2004, 10:15   #31

Re: Needless Cruelty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
It's not just in Spain where that works - I surprised the hell out of the staff at the hotel I was staying at in Crete this year!!!

They asked me where I learned to speak it so well. The thing is, I only learned a little when I was staying in Corfu a few years ago from the co-owner of the hotel where I was staying!

Must have been a good teacher
That's the ticket Vorlon...now you know it really works. :engsmil: :engsmil:
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-12-2004, 13:42   #32
Resting in peace

We seem to have strayed a bit on this one - however, back to A-B's original. Foxes are killed quickly at a hunt - the first hound in goes for the throat, so it is fierce but fast. Shooting foxes is dicey - it is almost impossible to get a clean kill, and the animal goes off wounded and usually dies of septicaemia, not a nice way to go.

However, of course we can offend our indigenous population in country areas, by banning hunting on the grounds of cruelty, but we cannot under any circumstances offend our ethnic minorities.

Good idea, Tealeaf - see you Boxing Day, will borrow a horse and my daughter's pink jacket!

I not only would kill my own, I have done so - rabbits and pheasants, and even on a few occasions, a chicken (on my uncle's farm in Ireland, mostly).
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2004, 16:34   #33
land of hope and glory

watched the show they put on! yes a bit barbaric! But that does not put me off having a nice 16oz T bone, Yes i would and have killed my own food and if i have too i would again.Wernt animals put on this planet so we could eat the meat?I dont see people cringe when they are sat in a fast food place waiting for there burgers and fries(never seen a chip) All you out there will sit down on christmas day and not give two thoughts to where the meat that you are about to eat came from!All things apart its took 7 years for this act to come in and its not over with by a long way yet,the countryside alliance say they will hunt on the day the ban comes in force.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2004, 16:48   #34
God Member

Here the odds by William Hill on next in line to be banned:

Shooting Grouse - 3/1
Fishing - 4/1
Steeplechase - 5/1
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2004, 16:52   #35
Resting in peace

Had a lovely casserole of pheasant yesterday, shot and cooked by my son-in-law. Yummy!

Why not ban boxing? - two big lads knocking the c**p out of one another - or is that not elitist enough for Mr Blair?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2004, 21:49   #36
Resident Waffler

So, if grouse shooting and fishing are banned does that mean we are all going to have to learn to live without eating grouse or fish? I mean how else do they plan on killing a grouse? Farm them like chickens? Factory farming is far crueller. We'll all end up being forced to be vegetarians.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2004, 21:56   #37

You won't catch me becoming a vegetarian. Give me a nice t-bone steak.

Looking back at the original point I am surprised that halal slaughter is permitted in a civilised country.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2004, 22:15   #38
mez
God Member

if our LIFE depended on it , we would all kill animals im sure.
Old 21-12-2004, 05:06   #39

Quote:
Looking back at the original point I am surprised that halal slaughter is permitted in a civilised country.
What WAS a civilised country! We've changed THAT much!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 08:40   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
if our LIFE depended on it , we would all kill animals im sure.
I would if my kids' lives depended on it

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 08:56   #41
Resident Waffler

My grandfather did. He also knew all the edible wild plants etc. I wish I'd taken more notice of him. He was a Lancashire version of Bush Tucker Man, but I was too young when he died to have really taken in all he tried to teach me.

Old 21-12-2004, 16:37   #42
land of hope and glory

here is one for you!I have a friend who flys falcons,HE takes them up on the moors and kills hares,pheasant,wood pidgeon..etc..The animal that was killed is not left to rot on the moor but brought home and fed to the chicks.Would you say this is barbaric because you are using an animal to kill an animal,just like a hound and a fox,or a lurcher and a hare,How are the government going to police this???
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2004, 17:01   #43

personally I think fox hunting is barbaric. I despise animal cruelty, however I am not a vegetarian although I used to be. I don't care about people eating meat to survive or whatever. What I am concerned with is the fact that the killing is for pleasure. Most of the people who hunt foxes have absolutely respect for the value of life. And a point that I like to point out is that who was put on this planet first animals or man? (according to the bible, but I don't believe in god) Fox hunting is not neccessity
Old 21-12-2004, 17:09   #44
Resident Waffler

Are you personally aquainted with "most of the people who hunt foxes" ? Even with hunting banned foxes will have to be killed. Foxes kill other creatures. They kill farm creatures. Farmers are not expected to just sit there and let them so they will shoot foxes. Most foxes do not die as quickly when shot. They suffer a slow lingering painful death. Have you seen an animal die from a gunshot wound? Have you seen a fox killed by hounds? If you can answer yes to both questions then I cannot believe you could consider the former to be preferable.

You ask who was put on the earth first according to the Bible. Actually I think, if you check, you'll find it was the vegetables.

I don't approve of unnecessary cruelty to animals but the very nature of nature is that animals kill other animals either to eat or to safeguard their young. In the case of humans we sometimes do it to safeguard other animals.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 21-12-2004 at 17:10.
Old 21-12-2004, 17:11   #45
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
here is one for you!I have a friend who flys falcons,HE takes them up on the moors and kills hares,pheasant,wood pidgeon..etc..The animal that was killed is not left to rot on the moor but brought home and fed to the chicks.Would you say this is barbaric because you are using an animal to kill an animal,just like a hound and a fox,or a lurcher and a hare,How are the government going to police this???
In the natural world the falcon would kill those animals to feed its young - how can it be wrong? What would they suggest as an alternative? Half a pound of best mince?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..