Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2004, 10:54   #1

Neighbourhood Wardens.Do we Care?

With the deadline fast approaching for the refunding/not refunding of neighbourhood wardens;
I ask do we care?
Are these people neccessary or a further waste of money?
Do we we need extra eyes and ears for the Police?
Do they serve as a crime deterrent?
Well in my mind the answer to all is YES.
The idea was a good one,the funding was a complete cock up,surely extra money can be found.
While I am on the soapbox,have the dithering council considered the effect on morale for the men and women who carry out this often difficult task.
Would members of Parliament or local councillors like to walk the streets of Accrington at the Sharp End knowing that come Christmas their jobs may cease to exist.
I wonder what the rest of the forum think?
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-12-2004, 11:01   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Neighbourhood Wardens.Do we Care?

The wardens have certainly made a difference where I live. It can't be just Hyndburn where money for these schemes dries up. I know that the government has pumped millions into the problems of sexual health and the drug problem, but it is too little too late. Schemes often get up and running, then the money disappears, and schemes which are often intended to be national end up running in just a few areas and being inaccessible to the majority.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 15:56   #3
I am Band

The council should certainly strive to find the money for the upkeep of the neighbourhood wardens scheme. It has been one of the few positive decisions by the council to initially fund the wardens scheme; don't let them fall by the wayside.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 18:19   #4
God Member

I hate to be the one to break this to you Sparkologist, but the Wardens were a central government idea, entirely funded by them. The reason the cash has run out is that HBC were told that they would have to sort out the funding if they wanted it to continue after the intitial period. So instead of talking to Lancashire County Constabulary and the Fire Brigade etc., to try and sort something out, the council have done precisely nothing and Britcliffe is now blaming everyone else for being tightfisted and unhelpful.
Old 17-12-2004, 09:27   #5

Well,I think the lack of response on this thread answers my question.Do we care?
Apparently not!
Old 17-12-2004, 14:49   #6
God Member

I care. Take a look at my thread on page two of this forum: "I'm Disgusted - nowt new there!" I think that Accrington will be the poorer if we let this happen as well as being less safe.
Old 17-12-2004, 22:19   #7
Always EVIL within us

By coincidence, this thread arives at the same time as "teens" by Mel. As we all (well, most of us) know, Mel is a well adjusted teenager, doesn't mug people, take drugs or cause vandalism but in case you missed it, this is what she had to say:

But round church were i live we have youth workers and they take us on trips that should cost hundreds of pounds for free, to get young people off the streets its great i've been ski-ing, Kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, abseiling, snow boarding and three residentials its fantastic and a great experience.

..........and yet the government/local council cannot find the funds to continue the Neighbourhood Warden scheme Utterly mad!
Old 19-12-2004, 16:42   #8

Yup! Lightwater valley,transport,lunch,entry fee.....75p all in.
Old 19-12-2004, 17:26   #9

Let's hope that funding can be found to keep the neighbourhood wardens they are doing a very worthwhile and brilliant job.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..