Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-02-2009, 09:35   #1
Senior Member+

new career (maybe)

I'm looking at the possibility of a new career and hoping some of you guys could give me some advice.
As you are probably aware I have had an interest in photography for a number of years and am looking at the possibility of making a career out of it.
the problem is I dont have the qualifications. So if any of you can shed some light onto how to go about getting into the business eg. training courses or possibly a trainee position with a studio I would greatly appreciate it.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-02-2009, 09:38   #2
God Member

Re: new career (maybe)

pm kp and studio, i'm sure they will be able to help you
Old 23-02-2009, 09:46   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
pm kp and studio, i'm sure they will be able to help you

already had a chat with studio am trying to get all the info I can
Old 23-02-2009, 09:53   #4
God Member

good on ya lad
Old 23-02-2009, 10:03   #5
K-P

Photography... thats a wide subject.. you need to define what part of photography you want to get into... I would never put anyone off getting qualifications .. however the general opinion is that there not worth a lot .. especialy if self employed freelancing. Even newspapers arn't that interested as your portfolion will be your qualifications.

Dont take that the wrong way.. qualifications should never be sniffed at. but i wouldnt put years into it for the good they do you unless you know the field of photography you want would require qualifications.
Old 23-02-2009, 10:40   #6
Senior Member+

was thinking about wedding/events photography
and possibly the newspaper/magazine route covering events etc..
not sure i quite got the skills for fine art yet
Old 23-02-2009, 10:42   #7
Senior Member+

although i do quite enjoy street photography - trying to capture a glimpse of unposed real life
Old 23-02-2009, 10:46   #8
K-P

weddings is one of the hardest as the normal route is to second an existing photographer.. but thats usualy done outside your area.. a wedding tog in your own area knows if he teaches you then you become his rival.

by far the busiest and best UK photography website (that also has a business section) is Talk Photography™ .. its busy and you ahve people from all parts of photography and all levels from new to mega years experience.. my best advice would be to join there and have a mooch about
Old 23-02-2009, 10:47   #9
K-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
although i do quite enjoy street photography - trying to capture a glimpse of unposed real life
yeagh street photography is good. but making a living out of it.. hmm
Old 23-02-2009, 11:04   #10
Senior Member+

think i'll keep that one as a hobby then
Old 23-02-2009, 20:57   #11

I go on Talkphotography and i must say ive learnt quiet a lot from reading on there.although if you dare post be prepared for a shooting down as i find some of the older members can be quiet critical and show no compassion for us newer people trying to get into photography.
I enrolled on a photography course at blackburn and also joined a camera club,now the camera club i find very useful and some of the members bend over backwards to help you.
I took up photography purely because i wanted to do dog photography.
good luck im sure if you pursue it you will love it
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 22:11   #12
jem

try accrington and rossendale college they do a course on media and i think they help with photography too im not sure but you can give them a try
Old 23-02-2009, 22:22   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

know sod all about the subject, but good luck jedi, if ya have a bash. only thing i can really say fer any business, plenty of due diligence.
Old 23-02-2009, 23:12   #14
K-P

Polly what camera club do you go to? I used to go to accy camera club but am unable to now... my lads needed me as taxi driver for all manner of things on friday
Old 23-02-2009, 23:59   #15
Senior Member+

I went down this road around fifteen years ago. It started as an interest and then as I didn't understand how a basic SLR worked I enrolled at college and learned how to develop and print. After gaining my GCSE I went on and got the A level. Next was City and Guilds and I almost got my LRPS but the college fees beat me and I had to give in. This was all evening courses as I worked full time and it took me around seven years to get as far as I did.

Being really interested in the chemical side of it all, digital cameras took over and the rest is history. I did do one wedding and it was so hard work! Thankfully, the photos were really good but it wasn't worth the effort I put into it, financially that is.

Wish you all the luck in the world and I hope I haven't put a damper on it xx

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..