Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2005, 18:29   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: New Pope Elected

The only Pope related prophecies I'm aware of are by Nostradamus and St. Malachy both of whom seem to have been fairly convinced that the Pope after this one will be the last and then it's the End of The World as in Armageddon and the Second Coming and the Anti-Christ and all that stuff.

According to St. Malachy this Pope is supposed to be something to do with olives. Not sure how that relates to Benedict XVI if at all but I don't really know much about him yet.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-04-2005, 18:33   #17
God Member

Vorlon: do a quick google on St. Malachy for the prophecies.

Yerself: In theory any unmarried catholic male can be elected as Pope. but in practice the selection is usually made from among the college of Cardinals.

Traditionally it is usual to follow a long pontificate with one that is expected to be short. The new pope is the oldest to be elected for over a century.

Interestingly, both the new Pope and his brother were members of that well known catholic boy's society the Hitler Youth.
Old 19-04-2005, 18:35   #18
Resident Waffler

Now that latter point is interesting A-b in view of a pic I've got somewhere. When I find it I'll post a copy.

Old 19-04-2005, 18:44   #19
Member.

Is it not the case that most young Germans where in the Hitler Youth? Sixty years after the event is it relevant. I was of the opinion that most of those in the Vatican give subtle assistance to the Nazis between the mid thirties and 1943…………….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2005, 18:47   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Yerself: In theory any unmarried catholic male can be elected as Pope.
You're quite right A-b. I stand corrected, he does not have to be ordained. I was thinking of putting a fiver on Tealeaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Interestingly, both the new Pope and his brother were members of that well known catholic boy's society the Hitler Youth.
You're being a bit unfair on our new Pontiff A-b. You have omitted to mention that membership was compulsory at the time.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by yerself; 19-04-2005 at 19:03.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2005, 19:12   #21
God Member

Hmmm, on reflection, maybe I am. To set the record straight-ish I will append the following:

"Cardinal Ratzinger was born in Bavaria, the son of an anti-Nazi police officer. Although forced to join Hitler Youth, he was not an enthusiastic member and after a posting to Hungary during his service in the anti-aircraft corps he deserted, risking punisment by death. He was captured by the Allies, released and entered seminary with his brother George who told a German newspaper earlier this month that he 'has not got a chance'."
(Ruth Gledhill: The Times.)
Old 19-04-2005, 19:35   #22
Passed away 25-11-09

He may well be a sweet old man but according to reports he is a hard-line traditionalist conservative who is unlikely to make any changes. It doesn't look like you'll be seeing Mrs. Jones, the parish priest, for a few decades yet.

I don't doubt him at all but have you noticed that ALL Germans alive now, who lived through the war, were anti-Nazis? Makes you wonder how Hitler ever got elected.
Old 19-04-2005, 20:21   #23
Senior Member+

POPE BENEDICT XVI: PROFILE

The new Pope has been chosen from what could be termed the traditional side of the Catholic Church. To some, he heralds intellectual salvation during a time of confusion and compromise. To others, his record as Pope John Paul II's prefect of doctrine showed the then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger to be an intimidating "Enforcer", punishing liberal thinkers, and keeping the Church in the Middle Ages.

Against dissent

While many theologians strive for a Catholic Church that is more open and in touch with the world around it, the new Pope's mission has in the past seemed to entailing stamping out dissent, and curbing the "wild excesses" of this more tolerant era.

As prefect of doctrine, Pope Benedict wielded the tools of his office with steely efficiency. By influencing diocese budgets, bishops' transfers and even excommunications, what an opponent called "symbolic violence", the then Cardinal clamped down on the more radical contingent of the Church.

He has even claimed the prime position of the Church of Rome over other Christian Churches. Although he has apologised for this, he has never been so contrite about excluding liberation theologians, more progressive priests or those in favour of the ordination of women.

Charming

Personally charming, quick-witted and fluent in four languages, the new Pope is a convincing orator. Jesuit Father Thomas Reese calls him "a delightful dialogue partner", but adds that most of the Pope's fellow clergy would be too worried about the prospect of excommunication to enjoy talking to him.

When Pope Benedict served the Second Vatican Council for three years from 1962, he supported reform. His own background, however, perhaps sheds light on his need for a Church that stands firm against the currents of change and political shifts.

Schooled in the Nazis' power of rhetoric during his childhood in Bavaria, the Pope later deserted the German Army during World War II, only to be sent to a POW camp when the Allies reached his hometown.

Later, as an eminent theologian lecturing at Germany's premier faculties, he was horrified by the Marxist ideologies that punctuated campus small talk in the late 1960s.

"Papal fundamentalism"

Pope Benedict has consistently pursued doctrine that can endure, independent of cultural or social trends. He argues that only with a completely separate values system can the Church offer individual freedom. His critics call this "papal fundamentalism", but the Pope is unflappable in his personal theology.

He has claimed that "everything falls apart without truth". It is now his role to unite the Catholic Church under his strong, principled vision.

Caroline Frost

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2005, 21:21   #24

I bet there are a lot of people who now know all about the Pope making process courtesy of Dan Brown than who learnt through the normal educational routes.
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2005, 21:32   #25
Resident Waffler

Who is Dan Brown?

Old 19-04-2005, 21:35   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Who is Dan Brown?
The author of the Da Vinci code and Angels and Demons. Angels and Demons is set in the Vatican and is all about the Pope making process and a plot to corrupt the process.
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2005, 21:43   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender
He may well be a sweet old man but according to reports he is a hard-line traditionalist conservative who is unlikely to make any changes. It doesn't look like you'll be seeing Mrs. Jones, the parish priest, for a few decades yet.

I don't doubt him at all but have you noticed that ALL Germans alive now, who lived through the war, were anti-Nazis? Makes you wonder how Hitler ever got elected.
visit cologne and around that area you'll meet a few nazis still alive.mind you saying that i will take it at face value that benedicts an ok guy.

Last edited by cashman; 19-04-2005 at 21:45.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2005, 21:45   #28

Judging by his past history he will not be a liberal Pope.
Old 19-04-2005, 21:48   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmacked
Judging by his past history he will not be a liberal Pope.
the first pope had a past history,but he seems to have gone down as an ok guy
Old 19-04-2005, 21:50   #30
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLass
The author of the Da Vinci code and Angels and Demons. Angels and Demons is set in the Vatican and is all about the Pope making process and a plot to corrupt the process.

Oh of course! I've read The Da Vinci Code but not got round to the other one yet and now it's hard to get to because all my books are piled up in the "spare" room due to far too much going on here at the mo. Look forward to reading it when I can manage to find it again.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..