Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 10:35   #1

New Words for 2005

Essential NEW WORDS FOR 2005 editions for the work-place vocabulary:
TESTICULATING - Waving your arms around and talking Boll**ks.
BLAMESTORMING - Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed, and who was responsible.
SEAGULL MANAGER - A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on everything, and then leaves.
ASSMOSIS - The process by which people seem to absorb success and advancement by sucking up to the boss rather than working hard.
SALMON DAY - The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get screwed and die.
CUBE FARM - An office filled with cubicles.
PRAIRIE DOGGING - When someone yells or drops something loudly in a cube farm, and people's heads pop up over the walls to see that's going on. (This also applies to applause from a promotion because there may be cake.)
MOUSE POTATO - The on-line, wired generation's answer to the couch potato.
SITCOMs - Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage. What yuppies turn into when they have children and one of them stops working to stay home with the kids or start a "home business".
STRESS PUPPY - A person who seems to thrive on being stressed out and whiny.
XEROX SUBSIDY - Euphemism for swiping free photocopies from one's workplace.
PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE - The fine art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.
ADMINISPHERE - The rarefied organisational layers beginning just above the rank and file. Decisions that fall from the "adminisphere" are often profoundly inappropriate or irrelevant to the problems they were designed to solve. This is often affiliated with the dreaded "administrivia" needless paperwork and processes.
404 - Someone who's clueless. From the World Wide Web error message "404 Not Found," meaning that the requested document could not be located.
OHNOSECOND - That minuscule fraction of time in which you realise that you've just made a BIG mistake (e.g. you've hit 'reply all').
WOOFies - Well Off Older Folk.
CROP DUSTING - Surreptitiously farting while passing through a CUBE FARM, then enjoying the sounds of dismay and disgust; leads to PRAIRIE DOGGING.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-12-2004, 11:31   #3
Senior Member+

Re: New Words for 2005

Like it.
Old 01-12-2004, 13:42   #4
Resident Waffler

PRAIRIE DOGGING - When someone yells or drops something loudly in a cube farm, and people's heads pop up over the walls to see that's going on. (This also applies to applause from a promotion because there may be cake.)

Whenever I see this happen in future I will always know what to call it. Visions of little merekats at work within the cubicles.

STRESS PUPPY - A person who seems to thrive on being stressed out and whiny.

For those of you who watched, this has to be the perfect description of Nat In "I'm a Celebrity"

PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE - The fine art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.

I know someone who does this accompanied by lyrics along the lines of "work you B!"

OHNOSECOND - That minuscule fraction of time in which you realise that you've just made a BIG mistake (e.g. you've hit 'reply all').

I remember the classic one - seeing the car keys in the boot in that fraction of a second after slamming down the lid and just before it hits and locks.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 17:22   #5
I am Banned

what about bouncebackability lol
Fearon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 19:42   #6
God Member

I like "Mouse Potato". I'm definately one of those.
Old 01-12-2004, 20:50   #7
Beacon of light

Talking Re: New Words for 2005

This list of words almost makes me wish I was back at work......I said ALMOST !

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 01-12-2004 at 20:51. Reason: moving keys on my keyboard....that's my excuse
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 21:14   #8
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
This list of words almost makes me wish I was back at work......I said ALMOST !
No list of words would make me want to be at work, and I've about another 19 years to go and that's only if they let me go at 55

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 21:29   #9
Beacon of light

Ooooh Lettie, you poor thing.....I have been out of the system for 2 years now and I don't miss it one little bit.......I got out at 55....life is for living and I sure have done some of that this past 2 years
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 22:08   #10
Resident Waffler

Can we include "misunderestimate" ?

I know it was a gaffe but there something about the word which won't accept substitutes.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 19:25   #11
Senior Member+

I'm with Fearon on this one.Support Soccer AM all the way at least they mentioned Accrington Stanley

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..