Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2010, 11:49   #1
Senior Member+

Nick Clegg

Where are the Liberal Democrats going under the leadership of Nick Clegg? Yes, they are part of the coalition government, and as such can claim they are "in power".

But just how much power do they actually wield in the coalition? There isn't much in the Chancellor's spending cuts that wouldn't have been there if the Conservatives had overall control, apart maybe from the "Green Bank" (but what is that in reality?).

Clegg can bang on about working in the national interest. But if all that means is helping the Conservatives implement Conservative policies, then what is he achieving for the Liberal Democrat movement?

He should be alarmed that the majority of the great British public feel the budget is unfair in that it impacts too harshly on the lower paid. That might not be a problem for Conservative voters, but it will horrify grass roots Liberal Democrat supporters.

And it will come back to haunt him in the long run.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2010, 12:07   #2
Common Sense Member

Re: Nick Clegg

Forget the damage to Nick Clegg, the party won't be seeing power for another 65 years following this government.

To abandon your principles and climb into bed with whoever you need just to get a sniff of power probably won't have gone down too well with Liberal Democrat voters.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 12:45   #3
God Member

Sort of like G Brown's attempts to persuade Lib Dems to jump into bed with Labour and enable him to hang on to power.

As Lord Acton sagely observed: Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I am reserving judgement on the coalition, because I feel that it is too early to judge whether it will be a good thing for the country or a bad thing. For me, politics is all about the good of the country. Ask me again in a year's time.
Old 24-10-2010, 13:59   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

gotta say i'm wi ken on this, reckon the Lib-Dems are consigned now to history, at least in my lifetime n probably much longer. meself i aint a believer in coalitions whoever jumps in wi who, i fail to see how the party doin the jumping can improve electoral odds, by doing so.
Old 24-10-2010, 15:47   #5
Give, give, give member

It's reported in the papers today, after his admission on Desert Island Discs, that he likes indulging in the odd fag.

I wouldn't be suprised if that started at his public school, Westminster.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 17:25   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's reported in the papers today, after his admission on Desert Island Discs, that he likes indulging in the odd fag.

I wouldn't be suprised if that started at his public school, Westminster.
Nothing wrong with the odd fag I mean drag,I mean puff no I mean swallow - Oh start the car I'm off.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 17:36   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Nothing wrong with the odd fag I mean drag,I mean puff no I mean swallow - Oh start the car I'm off.
When your in a hole Beni stop digging
Old 24-10-2010, 18:57   #8
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post

He should be alarmed that the majority of the great British public feel the budget is unfair in that it impacts too harshly on the lower paid.
That may be the case , but according to the latest opinion polls , more of those questioned blamed Labour for the cuts than blamed the Con-Lib-Dems .

If the Con-Lib-Dem coalition can keep persuading people this way , Labour should be very concerned . At the moment they appear to be losing the argument .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 09:40   #9
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
....according to the latest opinion polls...
Can you point us in the direction of these polls? It's a phrase that is seemingly bandied about at random and I'd like to see your evidence in this instance.

What escapes a lot of people is that any poll can be conducted in such a way as to influence the outcome, that's why I don't give them much credence (yes, even the ones that say the majority support Labour).

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 10:50   #10
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Can you point us in the direction of these polls? It's a phrase that is seemingly bandied about at random and I'd like to see your evidence in this instance.
I'm going off a Radio 4 "Today" programme report and a YouGov poll .

I've just seen a Mail on Sunday/BPIX poll which gives Labour a lead over the Con-Libs .

Polls are not perfectly accurate , but they do indicate trends .

The latest one favours Labour .

They teach us not to count our chickens before they are hatched , which Harold Wilson did in 1970 , much to the polsters' and politicians' surprise .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:56   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I'm going off a Radio 4 "Today" programme report and a YouGov poll .

I've just seen a Mail on Sunday/BPIX poll which gives Labour a lead over the Con-Libs .

Polls are not perfectly accurate , but they do indicate trends .

The latest one favours Labour .

They teach us not to count our chickens before they are hatched , which Harold Wilson did in 1970 , much to the polsters' and politicians' surprise .
And Neil Kinnock in 1992 too JCB
Old 25-10-2010, 20:12   #12
God Member

Sandy Shaws "Puppet on a String" comes to mind.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 20:32   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Sandy Shaws "Puppet on a String" comes to mind.
Aye, right up there with Pinnochio Blair !

http://iraqdossier.com/blairslies
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 21:55   #14
God Member

end of his political career with that numpty alexander no more votes in scotland for lib dems its going to straight fight with nationalists and labour up here
Old 25-10-2010, 22:06   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
end of his political career with that numpty alexander no more votes in scotland for lib dems its going to straight fight with nationalists and labour up here
I think it's only the start of Clegg's political career.. when it suits he could easily leave the dems and be a major player in the tory party...the lib-dems will suffer at elections from their disgrace.. but Nick Clegg will not.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..