Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2009, 18:38   #1

No more drunken sailors...

Drunken sailors left out of rhyme
BBC NEWS | Education | Drunken sailors left out of rhyme

The pirates are being tickled, rather than sobering up in the brig

"Drunken sailors" have been removed from the lyrics of a nursery rhyme in a government-funded books project.
But the Bookstart charity says the re-writing of What Shall We Do With the Drunken Sailor? has "absolutely nothing to do with political correctness".
The charity says that the shift from drunken sailor to "grumpy pirate" was to make the rhyme fit a pirate theme, rather than censorship.
"Put him in the brig until he's sober," has also been lost in the new version.
This latest ideological spat over nursery rhymes was sparked by the re-writing of
What Shall We Do With the Drunken Sailor.
'Rusty razor'
Bookstart, a project that encourages parents to read with their young children, has produced a different version - with no references to alcohol-swigging sailors.

Instead the hard-drinking sea shanty has been turned into something gentler, with lyrics such as "Tickle him till he starts to giggle, Early in the morning."
The charity has dismissed accusations that this is a politically-correct attempt to avoid the alcohol references, saying that it was a case of re-cycling a familiar tune for reading events that were based on a pirate theme.
"We wanted to find a rhyme which would fit in with this subject and this one has a tune which is instantly recognisable by all," said a statement from Bookstart.
"The inclusion of action lyrics like 'wiggle' and 'tickle' offer parents and small children an opportunity to interact, have fun and enjoy acting out the rhyme together."
Although the Drunken Sailor version familiar to children already leaves out some of the saltier verses.
The original includes such suggestions as: "Shave his belly with a rusty razor", "Stick him in a bag and beat him senseless" and "Put him in the hold with the captain's daughter."
The captain's daughter was a euphemism for a lashing from a cat o' nine tails.
Baa-baa
This is the latest in a series of disputes over nursery rhymes.
There were complaints in 2006 about pre-school children attending two nurseries in Oxfordshire being taught "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep".
Last year, a story based on the Three Little Pigs fairy tale was turned down by a government agency's awards panel as the subject matter could offend Muslims.
A digital book, re-telling the classic story, was rejected by judges who warned that "the use of pigs raises cultural issues".
However, a study in 2004 showed that nursery rhymes exposed children to far more violent incidents than an average evening watching television - including Humpty Dumpty's serious head injury.

PIRATES AHOY!
What shall we do with the grumpy pirate?
Early in the morning
Hooray and up she rises
Hooray and up she rises
Hooray and up she rises
Early in the morning
Do a little jig and make him smile
Early in the morning

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-01-2009, 20:40   #2
God Member

Re: No more drunken sailors...

Do away with a sailor and replace him with a criminal sounds about right fore these non entities.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 22:59   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the worlds gone mad cretins everywhere.
Old 30-01-2009, 23:09   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the worlds gone mad cretins everywhere.
There are, many in this government.

The whole nannying political correctness lobby will inevitably result in a backlash, and the very people these do-gooders think they are trying to protect will suffer.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 23:22   #5
God Member

I'll bet Captain Blackbeard is turning in his grave..but really...does it matter what the lyrics to a song are ?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 23:28   #6
God Member

Many of these old rhymes have historical significance and were the satire of their day - and should not be messed with.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 23:43   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I'll bet Captain Blackbeard is turning in his grave..but really...does it matter what the lyrics to a song are ?
Well... errr yes Mancie .. Even Andrew Lloyd Webber needs a good lyricist to make a song work. Could have a field day inserting alternative lyrics to famous songs ... lol.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 23:56   #8
God Member

Most of the chants sung at football games are songs with the lyrics changed.. and some are great!..for instance .."your gonna get several blows to the cranium..if you don't behave yerselves" ...or "come and attack me if you think you have the attributes to attain victory in a positive manner"

Last edited by Mancie; 31-01-2009 at 00:00.
Old 31-01-2009, 00:02   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

somehow intercoarse all the illigitimates in claret and blue....just aint a goer mancie.
Old 31-01-2009, 00:24   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
somehow intercoarse all the illigitimates in claret and blue....just aint a goer mancie.
Cor blimey Cashy..you hate Villa don't yah
Old 31-01-2009, 08:24   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Cor blimey Cashy..you hate Villa don't yah
I think he meant Westham United.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 08:33   #12
God Member

When will the PC brigade mess with the national anthems as because they need a dose of political correctness. I bet a pound to a penny that the half witted PC brigade aint got the bottle to.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 31-01-2009, 08:58   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
When will the PC brigade mess with the national anthems as because they need a dose of political correctness. I bet a pound to a penny that the half witted PC brigade aint got the bottle to.
You are a bit late there I think they have given verse 6 the elbow.

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
Rebellious Scots to crush
God save the King.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 09:01   #14
God Member

Well ok will give you that bit Pete but what about the rest of it. As a multicultural multinational country now should we not have one that reflects it? Thing is what would we do to Rule Brittania and the Flower of Scotland???

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 31-01-2009, 09:07   #15
Resting in Peace

To be quite honest I've just give up on the PC brigade, nothing surprises me anymore, just wish we could make it a criminal offence to be PC and lock the idiots away, but that would be PC would it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..