Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2006, 23:11   #1
Give, give, give member

North/south manners divide.

This is the result of a scientific survey, just observations about my recent holiday to Greece.

Having lived in London for nigh on twenty years, and encouraged visiting relatives not to make eye contact, never mind start a conversation with the insular travellers on the tube system for fear of abuse or worse, I was until recently convinced that we northerners were friendly, polite, and salt of the earth sorts, and southerners weren't.

Having flown from Manchester airport I'm afraid I've changed my mind. It may have something to do with the flight being at night, and delayed on the outward journey, but I have never encountered such a lot of rude, boorish, ignorant, ill manered people in my life.

Swearing infront of young children, drunkness and a downright abusive attitude to other people, is something new to me. This isn't the result of anything that happened primarily to me, though one group of foul mouthed Mancunian girls did shut up after encountering the sharper end of my tongue.

Whilst in Rhodes as well, the northerners we encountered were under the misapprehension that everyone else would miss out on their witty conversations if it wasn't drunkly shouted at the top of their voices.

On the otherhand, the people we met from the south of England were friendly, well mannered, and fun to chat to, without being in your face.

These observations aren't based on anything to do with class, if there is such a thing, as the nicest southerners we met were a bin driver from Ascot in Berkshire, and a brickie from Chingford in Essex.

I really hope the character of us northerners isn't changing. The character that means we'll stop and chat to anyone, give help whether its required or not, and are always ready with a friendly smile even when its cold and pouring down, and willing to give you their last penny if you need it.

I certainly see a diference for the better in my neighbours in Ossy, compared with the ones I had in London, and am hoping that the appalling behaviour noted on my trip was confined to our neighbours in Manchester, and not here in Lancashire.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-09-2006, 23:19   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: North/south manners divide.

Brits on tour definatly are not the best behaved race in the world, saying that from my time living abroad i found the southerners in general worse than the northerners, but to my utter shock the welsh who i have no particular love for were great folk, but you may have a point rindy i think it may be changing and our lot do seem to be getting worse.
Old 25-09-2006, 23:23   #3
God Member

[quote=garinda]

Having flown from Manchester airport I'm afraid I've changed my mind. It may have something to do with the flight being at night, and delayed on the outward journey, but I have never encountered such a lot of rude, boorish, ignorant, ill manered people in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

[slinky] sorry you had to meet my family this way

Swearing infront of young children

[slinky] yeah but the children where giving me and Tinks sh"t first

On the otherhand, the people we met from the south of England were friendly, well mannered, and fun to chat to, without being in your face.

These observations aren't based on anything to do with class, if there is such a thing, as the nicest southerners we met were a bin driver from Ascot in Berkshire, and a brickie from Chingford in Essex.
Brickie from ESSEX?? did they belong to his neighbour ??? come onnnnnn.........Ur avin a lafffffffffffffffffffffff lav

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 23:25   #4
Give, give, give member

It may be an age thing rather than a north/south thing.

The six hour delay out was a nightmare, as after we checked in we couldn't go through security and on to the departure lounge for an agonising four hours, in which time the few seats had been taken by groups of drunken, loud mouthed Mancs and Scousers, who were using them as foot stools and beds, whilst some unfortunate more elderly people had to stand or sit on the cold floor.

Old 25-09-2006, 23:27   #5
Give, give, give member

[quote=slinky]
Quote:

Brickie from ESSEX?? did they belong to his neighbour ??? come onnnnnn.........Ur avin a lafffffffffffffffffffffff lav
Lol, even you and Tinks don't speak too highly of your Scouse relatives.

Calm down, calm down I was only jokin'.

Old 25-09-2006, 23:28   #6
God Member

Quote:
It may be an age thing rather than a north/south thing.

The six hour delay out was a nightmare, as after we checked in we couldn't go through security and on to the departure lounge for an agonising four hours,
Was that because the Essex guy had built a wall and tried to charge you for it being built??

Miracles do happen!!

Old 25-09-2006, 23:30   #7
God Member

[quote=garinda]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky

Lol, even you and Tinks don't speak too highly of your Scouse relatives.

Calm down, calm down I was only jokin'.
Yeah but our SOUTHERN mates are very under estimated in MY point of view too.............................. NOT..................

Miracles do happen!!

Old 25-09-2006, 23:52   #8
Senior Member+

We see it here all the time, Rindy. Holiday heads, drink and rudeness are the norm.

On Saturday night a few of us were in the local bar (Spanish speaking staff with the menu written on a white board, cheap as chips but good value for money). A group of English folk turned up who were all over retirement age and seemed to be ok until they decided to eat. They treated the waitress as if she was stupid.........ordering her in loud English to find them a table for six and then shouting at her all through the meal.

We have seen similar before but this was totally out of order. They weren't on holiday either but all live in a nearby village. If you decide to live abroad at least learn a few basic words in the language.....please and thankyou comes to mind!

Anyway, sorry to ramble, I think it isn't as much as where you come from or your age, just a matter of common decency and attitude!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 07:23   #9
Resident Waffler

English people who think that other nationalities ought to speak English annoy me, even more so when they have the attitude that the person who doesn't speak English must therefore be stupid and if shouted at loud enough will somehow be able to understand.

I totally agree Junetta, if you go to live in another country at least have the decency to try to learn the language and remember that you are the foreigner, it's their country.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 10:06   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yeah we are lovely people keep it coming Rindy

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 18:33   #11
God Member

What never ceases to amaze me are the reports of drunken behaviour on flights , how do these people get through check-in, immigration, security and finally boarding (both at the top of the ramp and on entering the plane ) a lot of the blame has to rest with the airlines and inexperienced cabin crews who continue to serve drinks to passengers under the influence , probably in the mistaken belief that if they drink enough they will pass-out.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 19:12   #12
God Member

I bet Cabin crew are on commission for all drinks sold on the flight.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 20:40   #13
Beacon of light

I don't think manners are anything to do with where you come from....or where you are going for that matter. It is to do with respecting other human beings. Not swearing where older people or women are present....OK, I know that there are some women who can swear better than men......but it isn't big and it isn't clever, and shows a definite lack of linguistic ability.
Alcohol...well, it seems to me that no holiday is a good holiday unless you have consumed copious quantities of alcohol from the moment you wake up each day until the moment you collapse in a heap...unable to drink anymore.....until you have sicked up your dinner in front of foreign strangers........and then started drinking again. What a sad indictment of our society this is.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 23:44   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack
What never ceases to amaze me are the reports of drunken behaviour on flights , how do these people get through check-in, immigration, security and finally boarding (both at the top of the ramp and on entering the plane ) a lot of the blame has to rest with the airlines and inexperienced cabin crews who continue to serve drinks to passengers under the influence , probably in the mistaken belief that if they drink enough they will pass-out.
Good point.

One young woman passenger, I won't say lady, seemed well oiled when she eventually took her seat, and after many warnings eventually turned off her mobile phone and cut her loud, riveting conversation short. The rest of the journey she was served many drinks (8) by the flight crew, the last one being given to her after she pressed the emergency bell as we prepared to land, when we should have had our seat belts on, chairs in an upright position and tables folded away.

The airline was Fly Jet. If you ever get the chance not to fly with them don't. Besides they had the most uncomfortable airline seats I've ever sat in.

Old 27-09-2006, 00:55   #15
God Member

Rindy, The days of gracious flying are long gone , no longer do men wear sports coats (without team logos) and neck-ties ,and ladies wore hats and gloves when travelling ,now you are more likely to be faced with the tattoo above some slappers butt crack (bring back BOAC and PanAm)
I guess the aviation regulations in Europe must be different than the US , here no-way would anyone be allowed on a flight if they were showing signs if inebriation, and no way could anyone get drunk during a flight ,the cabin crews on major US airlines are now so old that elastic stockings are part of the uniform, walking frames can't be far behind , unless you are flying up-front drinks are $5 a pop even on 10 hour trans-atlantic flights.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..