Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 17:38   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Not in at the deep end

I went to Waves yesterday, which is bigger than Hyndburn and they only had 2 lifeguards on. They were also putting they waves on.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2007, 17:40   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
I went to Waves yesterday, which is bigger than Hyndburn and they only had 2 lifeguards on. They were also putting they waves on.
It depends on different licences and it can differ from district to district I assume as with alot of things business related.

I.e in hyndburn pet shops arent allowed to sell kittens but in blackburn pet shops you are.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 17:44   #18
Resting in Peace

Don't understand the need of a deep end anymore, not like there is any diving boards in the main pool, is there ? (sorry, if I am wrong .. bin a bit since I have been).

The gym, where I am supposed to be frequenting regularly, has two large pools all the same depth (1.2 metres I think).. seems sensible to me and more geared to people's needs. This is what most private gyms seem to be adopting, so maybe Hynburn ought to re-think their pool.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 17:53   #19
Resident Waffler

Small people (children) can drown in 1.2 metres though I suppose can't they? Or do you mean a shallow pool for children and a deeper one for adults?

I remember when I went swimming with school, many years ago, we were lined up along the length of the pool according to our ability so the stronger swimmers were in the deeper water where their feet didn't touch bottom.

I don't go swimming because the ripple effect on the water makes me go funny. It even happens in paddling pools. I get very dizzy and can even end up being quite ill.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 18:00   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Small people (children) can drown in 1.2 metres though I suppose can't they? Or do you mean a shallow pool for children and a deeper one for adults?

I remember when I went swimming with school, many years ago, we were lined up along the length of the pool according to our ability so the stronger swimmers were in the deeper water where their feet didn't touch bottom.

I don't go swimming because the ripple effect on the water makes me go funny. It even happens in paddling pools. I get very dizzy and can even end up being quite ill.
Small children can drown in any depth of water, even the shallow end open by itself would still require a life guard anyway.

The shallow ends for mothers and babies mainly and for children to get used to the water. I think the pool at hyndburn sports centre is fine but I just use the gym one now anyway. Was meant to be going tonight but my boyfriends not come home from work
Old 05-07-2007, 18:10   #21
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Small children can drown in any depth of water, even the shallow end open by itself would still require a life guard anyway.
Yes, I realise that, but I was thinking in terms of not being able to touch the bottom with your feet and therefore not having a solid base for someone who isn't a particularly good swimmer. Some children just stand around in the water and then do a little swim, then stand for a bit, then swim for a bit. At least they did in the hotel pool when we were on holiday, even my family (incl. Busman did.)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 18:13   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Yes, I realise that, but I was thinking in terms of not being able to touch the bottom with your feet and therefore not having a solid base for someone who isn't a particularly good swimmer. Some children just stand around in the water and then do a little swim, then stand for a bit, then swim for a bit. At least they did in the hotel pool when we were on holiday, even my family (incl. Busman did.)
What you on about, some children, I still do that too
Old 06-07-2007, 07:27   #23
God Member

On our hols Siobhan wouldn't stay where she could touch the bottom. "There Daddy!" pointing to the deepest bit by the waterfall, oh and jumping off the bathing platforms into the water was accompanied by "Again!"

Bit of an adrenaline junkie our daughter.....

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:18   #24
God Member

Maddie was a bit like that - on one holiday she went running around the pool and jumped into the deep end (she couldn't swim at the time) - I ran around the pool and Chris swam over to her as fast as he could. She was pushed out of the water and pulled out by one flailing arm at the same time.

It did teach her that she perhaps needed to stay in her depth.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:18   #25
Junior Member+

Quote:
That isn't true, there is a legal requirement for how many life guards should be on guard, particularly when certain areas or activities are on in the pool.
Yeah thats pretty much what I was saying, the number of lifeguards is dependent on the number of swimmers.

Quote:
Small children can drown in any depth of water
Anybody (not just small children) can drown in any depth of water if it covers your nose and mouth.
Gobbiner is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..