Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2010, 10:41   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Notorious Crimes in the Accrington Hynburn Area.

Vague memories of hearing a story about a chap being killed on Broadway - 20s or 30s I would think, something about the killer putting coins over the corpse's eyes.
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2010, 10:44   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I recall that a man who was setting fire to his premises (in Abbey St I think) accidentally ignited himself and died. Thats what happens when you ignite petrol whilst you are standing in the fumes from it.
That's not the one, I am going back to early 90's I was told that someone burned a cafe down for the insurance not realising that a member of the family was asleep upstairs in the flat above the cafe. They died and the arsonists went to prison. Does that ring any bells?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 13:27   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I take it he was released?
yes only due to the fact that a certain pub landlord, remembered partnering him at dominos that sat aft, n he only remembered due to the fact they were unbeaten n made a bob or two, i mean lets be honest, i couldn't say wi any conviction were i was a month ago today, could you? not a great position to be in.
Old 25-11-2010, 15:13   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Vague memories of hearing a story about a chap being killed on Broadway - 20s or 30s I would think, something about the killer putting coins over the corpse's eyes.
Could the first one on here be the one you're thinking of, Barrie?

Murder most horrid - Accrington Observer
Old 25-11-2010, 16:32   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Could the first one on here be the one you're thinking of, Barrie?

Murder most horrid - Accrington Observer
Yes, that is the one Wyn, remember vaguely my Dad talking about it and always remember the pennies on the eyes - he apparently thought that his impression would be left on the victim's eyes.
Real scary stuff when you were small.
Old 25-11-2010, 17:27   #21
I am Banned

William Hodson
Private 69284 Cavalry Regiment.
Hodson was nicknamed Bronco when he returned to Accrington in the late 1920's, he had emigrated after WW1, when he reurned he was wearing a stetson, plus the fact he had served in a cavalry unit, hence the nickname Bronco.

Joseph Hurley
Sergent 240065 1/5st East Lancs
Fought at Gallipoli and in France where he was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field.

Bronco & Joe had a long standing feud, people as they usually do, were always hinting that little Joe was the father of Bronco's children, this came to a head in 1935 when they and others had drawn their wages and were in Pleck Back. Bronco knocked little Joe down and then stamped of his head.

They were both employees of the firm that were erecting the electric pylons that pass over the Coppice.
attached is a picture of Sgt J. Hurley.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hurley J. Sgt. 240065. 5th E.L..jpg (10.2 KB, 3 views)
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 17:46   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yes only due to the fact that a certain pub landlord, remembered partnering him at dominos that sat aft, n he only remembered due to the fact they were unbeaten n made a bob or two, i mean lets be honest, i couldn't say wi any conviction were i was a month ago today, could you? not a great position to be in.
I could cashy
Old 25-11-2010, 18:28   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
William Hodson
Private 69284 Cavalry Regiment.
Hodson was nicknamed Bronco when he returned to Accrington in the late 1920's, he had emigrated after WW1, when he reurned he was wearing a stetson, plus the fact he had served in a cavalry unit, hence the nickname Bronco.

Joseph Hurley
Sergent 240065 1/5st East Lancs
Fought at Gallipoli and in France where he was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field.

Bronco & Joe had a long standing feud, people as they usually do, were always hinting that little Joe was the father of Bronco's children, this came to a head in 1935 when they and others had drawn their wages and were in Pleck Back. Bronco knocked little Joe down and then stamped of his head.

They were both employees of the firm that were erecting the electric pylons that pass over the Coppice.
attached is a picture of Sgt J. Hurley.
Retlaw.
Thanks Retlaw, that brought back more of what I heard my Dad saying - the head stamping in particular.
Old 25-11-2010, 21:31   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Thanks Retlaw, that brought back more of what I heard my Dad saying - the head stamping in particular.
Stamped off his head? Back in those days he would have hung for that - wouldn't he?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 23:02   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Stamped off his head? Back in those days he would have hung for that - wouldn't he?
Typo should have been stamped ON his head, yes he was sentenced to death. It was all in the local papers at the time.
My youngest sister was born just a few days earlier.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 25-11-2010 at 23:04.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 23:14   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
Our evil husbands - Manchester Evening News

the police said that despite the victims blood been found in the kitchen there was no evidence of the body parts been served up as food.

yep because it had probably been served up as chicken in a kebab or somat and teh evidence eaten

i think it was the takeaway accross the road from the newsagents
Was it renamed the "Mumbye" curry house?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 11:17   #27

In the 70s wasn't there a murder at a social club on Blackburn Road?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 11:27   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Can't remember that un wadey, but on blackburn rd 64 or 65 July a guy i knew was murdered under the railway arch in town, think that was pretty notorious as there was much trouble oer it fer months after the event.
Old 26-11-2010, 11:52   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
There was indeed,If my memory serves me well it was the stewardess of the Miners Club.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 18:03   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Can't remember that un wadey, but on blackburn rd 64 or 65 July a guy i knew was murdered under the railway arch in town, think that was pretty notorious as there was much trouble oer it fer months after the event.
Am I wrong or was it a pakistani or west indian cashy, seems to be ringing bells

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..