Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2005, 15:52   #1
Foreign Correspondent

NYC - British Consulate Bombing

A couple of small explosive devices went off in front of the New York City UK consulate early this morning.

Sounds like the devices were preety small and crude. As far as I am aware, there are no suspects in hand at this time, nor do there appear to be any injuries. The news did say that the tapes from a number of surveillance cameras were being reviewed, so perhaps they'll get lucky. For the CBS New York news streaming feed (or written story), you can check out http://www.newsradio88.com

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-05-2005, 16:27   #2
God Member

Re: NYC - British Consulate Bombing

This sounds more like a botched IRA job than 'owt else. Other than the election timing, it makes little sense. Although the Provos are still on ceasefire, I notice that charges are finally being made over the Omagh atrocity (Real IRA). I wonder if there is any connection there? Funny thing is, its what alot of people have been expecting to happen here in election week.

I
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 16:56   #3
I am Banned

americans killing british people

nowt new there then

However in todays news tony blair escaped death only by a matter of inches when a tree fell and landed on the bonnet of his car

the IRA said they planted it
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 18:17   #4
Senior Member+

Now that the money has dried up from the USA Gerry Adams and Martin Mcguinness will have to get real jobs, Adams was a barman before he joined and Mcguinness was a Laborer on a building site, but of course they never did anything wrong.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 20:30   #5
God Member

So for all the 'controls' and intelligence the Americans have blessed this world with someone can just walk around with two hand grenades. IMHO all they have done is instill even more hatred and predjudice in the world. They have taken conflict in far away countries and brought it to each and everyones doorstep.

Thank you George W and TB. What a safe place you've made this to bring up my family.

NOT
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 21:20   #6
Senior Member+

Little bit over the top there Entwistle, don't you think its safer now then the seventies and eighties when you had to watch your back for every damn paddy and tinker who decided that the bog that floats off the left hand side of England should be free to persecute its neighbors.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:57   #7
God Member

No I don't feel safer now. It was rare that the IRA(who were a terrorist organistaion funded almost entirely by Americans) would bomb mainland UK. Now we are number 2 target of a bunch of people who think nothing of suicide bombing and attacking non political targets purely for impact.

It has made relations between English people strained purely due to colour of skin or religion. I personally felt that before the Twin Towers the relationship between Asians be they muslims or not and the 'average' white was the best it had ever been. Now people feel a tension due to the misunderstanding of seperation of religion from fanatisism.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:08   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Question Re: NYC - British Consulate Bombing

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
So for all the 'controls' and intelligence the Americans have blessed this world with someone can just walk around with two hand grenades. IMHO all they have done is instill even more hatred and predjudice in the world. They have taken conflict in far away countries and brought it to each and everyones doorstep.

Thank you George W and TB. What a safe place you've made this to bring up my family.

NOT
honestly fail to see what any administration can do to stop anybody with a small explosive device,walking around the streets and detonating it in most areas.horrible thought but true.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:08   #9
God Member

It was'nt just the US Irish who were funding Sein Fein/IRA. I remember visiting a pub in County Kilburn, North london, at the time of the hunger strikes and seeing money going into an IRA whip round. If you valued your health, it was not a very good idea to refuse to put some money in.

And let us not forget, of course, that Sein Fein/IRA, as a political party, is subject to direct funding from the British taxpayer; I think it was half a million in the last financial year.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 06-05-2005 at 12:29.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:49   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
No I don't feel safer now. It was rare that the IRA(who were a terrorist organistaion funded almost entirely by Americans) would bomb mainland UK.
Bombings 31 Oct 1971: Bomb explodes in Post Office tower
22 Feb 1972: IRA bomb kills six at Aldershot barracks
10 Sep 1973: Bomb blasts rock central London
17 Jun 1974: IRA bombs parliament
05 Oct 1974: Four dead in Guildford bomb blasts
22 Oct 1974: Bomb blast in London club
28 Oct 1974: Minister's wife survives bomb attack
21 Nov 1974: Birmingham pub blasts kill 19
20 Jul 1982: IRA bombs cause carnage in London
27 Oct 1982: RUC officers killed by IRA bomb
25 Jun 1985: Police hunt IRA resort bombs
10 Jun 1986: Magee convicted of Brighton bombing
22 Sep 1989: Ten dead in Kent barracks bomb
20 Jul 1990: IRA bombs Stock Exchange
03 Dec 1992: Bomb explosions in Manchester
10 Feb 1996: Docklands bomb ends IRA ceasefire
15 Jun 1996: Huge explosion rocks central Manchester
17 Apr 1999: Dozens hurt in London bomb blast
30 Apr 1999: Dozens injured in Soho nail bomb
06 May 2001: Second blast at London post office
03 Aug 2001: Car bomb in west London injures seven

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..