Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 21:15   #16
God Member

Re: OAPs as a demographic group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Are they in their mid teens? If so what do they do for entertainment if they are not out with their friends?
I still think there is something to be said for a belt behind the ear.....never did me any harm.
No they are not teenagers but my daughters were once and we managed to bring them up to respect what they had.....and before you jump on my belt behind the ear statement never have I had to check my children in this way.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-02-2009, 21:18   #17
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Shut up. You whingeing old biddy.

Watch it, you little gobsh!te.
Old 06-02-2009, 21:46   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

don't matter a rats wether yer 18 or 80 as others have said respect is earned.n theres always been scumbag parents only a fool would think owt else, OAPS in the main i regard as no different from any other section of society, good n bad in all sections.
Old 06-02-2009, 21:49   #19
Give, give, give member

Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age.

We only have to look at Accy Web for that.

Wisdom comes through having worked hard for it, just as respect is similarly earned.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 21:50   #20
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age.

We only have to look at Accy Web for that.

Wisdom comes through having worked hard for it, just as respect is similarly earned.
Hear hear, Garinda.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 22:19   #21
God Member

Respect is earned not issued with a bus pass.

Having said that I always respect my elders, when I see Mick, Less and Cashy down town I'm always polite with them
Old 06-02-2009, 22:22   #22
Caz
God Member

:d:d:d:d

erm, why aren't my smilies showing!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 06-02-2009, 22:59   #23
Give, give, give member

I think it's a fact that people are if not getting younger, are certainly a younger acting generation than we've ever had before.

People who are now of pensionable age were the first generation to have a 'teen age'. The first generation to have their own youth culture, and not be just younger versions of their parents.

Hell, I know someone who's just qualified for their pension who was a hippy. Smoked dope, popped happy pills, wore a kaftan, rioted against the war in Vietnam in Grosvenor Square, the lot.

They were the first generation who weren't conscripted to go to war. Many now drawing their pension were too young to do National Service.

Today's pensioners are more likely to be at the gym, than sat in the hairdressers, having their grey hair set in rollers.

When you look back at old photographs, and work out how old the people in them are, some of them 'old' people are younger than me, and I'm still going clubbing and dancing on podiums, given the opportunity.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:56   #24
Resting in Peace

To be quite honest I bet most people over the age of sixty don't think as themselves as being old, I certainly don't, that is until I look in the mirror every morning and see this old git looking back at me
Old 07-02-2009, 10:24   #25
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Respect is earned not issued with a bus pass.

Having said that I always respect my elders, when I see Mick, Less and Cashy down town I'm always polite with them
Yes, and it's so refreshing having one so young who was obviously dragged up rather than brought up being able to act in this manner.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 13:05   #26
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: OAPs as a demographic group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Prompted by Accymans "old Dear" comment in the ciggy thread.

I'm not young, I'm 55 and in a few years time, will be an "OAP" myself. So this is not me being ageist in anyway. My question is about how we see this group of people, and why we lump them together in a certain way

It just seems to me that once people hit the mark, they become part of a supposed cozy, cuddly group in society, as if all older people suddenly become worthy, and we dare not say a word against them for fear of giving offence.

For instance, a lot of OAPs, feckless in their own time, gave birth to the slack parents we have today, who's immoral offspring are making life hell for many people.

Lots of pensioners have committed crimes in the past, and some still do in their older years.

I will not give respect to a person, simply because of their age. As I said in a previous post, I respect my elders if they warrant it
I come from the other side of the coin.

The older generation deserves automatic respect until shown that it is not deserved.

The youth problems of today are caused by a minority and that means that only a minority of pensioners could possibly be held responsible – if at all, especially for the way their grand children turned out.

What you are doing is tarring all pensioners with the same brush and that is grossly unfair. In the same way that in general people tar all the teenagers with the same disruptive brush.
Old 10-02-2009, 19:28   #27
Caz
God Member

No I am not "tarring all pensioners with the same brush".

Merely pointing out that they are often grouped together as a cozy bunch, that the mention of the word pensioner inspires in some people the vision of a sweet siver haired granny, when in fact, some people are the same as they have always been, be it criminal, abuser or whatever, and don't become any different with a coming of age, and therefore don't deserve the respect.
I would give a pensioner the same respect I would any other human being, regardless of age, if I think they deserve it. They won't get it purely on showing me a buspass. If I think someone is more infirm than I am I would give up my seat or my place in a queue. Not necessarily just because they might be older...and sometimes quite honestly you can't always tell anyway..there is that flip side to the coin too! Also some people feel patronised to be bundled together in a group just because of their age. I know that will certainly apply with me.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 10-02-2009, 22:19   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz
"tarring all pensioners with the same brush"
Some of them should be tarred and feathered.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..