Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2007, 22:08   #31
God Member

Re: Official - the uk worst place to grow up

Wynonie.. when you go out, were do you see this violence?.. when I go out I see no more violence than I did 20yrs ago.. what I am saying as reponse to your post is that we had violence in the 60's.. you seem to live in a world were aggro in the streets started in around 2000... the "kids" that stabbed people in the 50's were brought up by parents from the 40's... the Krays were brought up by parents in the 50's.
Was it the parents fault for the violence that occured in the 50's?

Last edited by Mancie; 19-02-2007 at 22:12.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2007, 22:37   #32
Super Moderator

Mancie, when I go for a night out in Manchester or Stockport I see violence breaking out with sickening regularity. If you don't believe me, go to Piccadilly Gardens about 1 -2 am on a Sunday morning. You won't stay long! Of course there was violence in the past. I saw a fair few punch ups in Accy Con in the 60's and downtown Accy could sometimes be a bit hairy in the 70's after a Burnley-Rovers derby match. However, what I'm saying is that you did not see the same level of mass violence week in week out that you see now. And I also find it very difficult to accept your proposition that non-gun related violent crime rates are no higher than they were in the 50's and 60's.

As for parents, yes, I think that if you either set a bad example to your children or don't bring them up to show respect and consideration for others, your neglect will in all probability manifest itself in bad behaviour which may well include uncontrolled aggression and violence. Seems perfectly obvious to me!
Old 19-02-2007, 22:48   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I don't agree Wynonie.. gun crime as involves shooting people has increased.. but as for what may be called anti social crime has not.. the 70's 80's and 90's were more violent as regards violent crimes than today.. when I say violent crimes I do include hooligans and muggers.. was it the case that these offenders were brought up by bad parents in the 50's and 60's?
i would say to that mancie that now its on a much lager scale,and also figures of any of this i think would be unreliable cos unless you are seriously injured,people tend NOT to report things cos they think its a waste of time.i know a good few young people who have not.
Old 19-02-2007, 23:03   #34
God Member

I do not agree.. no one can tell me that the aggro between rival football fans on the open towns of this country compare to today...and maybe in the 60's the notion that criminals only killed there own mobs is a myth.. again I would ask you .. were the parents to blame for the Krays?.. and were the parents to blame for the deaths at hysel? if so then these parents were brought up there kids in the 40's 50's and 60's... your generation, a time were you seem to think no wrong was done.
Old 19-02-2007, 23:10   #35
God Member

I should have made it short..... you ARE the parents or granparents of these hooligans who you say roam the streets.. if we follow the argument then YOU are the people to blame.
Old 20-02-2007, 07:26   #36
Super Moderator

Oh no, Mancie you're not going to trot out that old "We are all to blame" argument, are you? I'm not to blame, I brought my daughter up to respect others and that's how she lives her life. I'm sure there are plenty on here who've done the same, so don't try to lay the blame at OUR door!
Old 20-02-2007, 09:29   #37
God Member

Maybe some did or do have a serious case of "I dont give a damn or dont care" but tarring all with the same brush is wrong. There is always peer pressure as well and even the best behaved and polite can go of the rails reguardless of how they have been brought up. Society seems to accept this mess and until a way is found to bring it to an acceptable level then we are stuck with it. There was a family in the paper yesterday that was given an ASBO because of their behavior which included swearing constantly at others. They are allowed to swear at each other but not at anyone outside the immediate family so what kind of message does that send.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 13:16   #38
Resident Waffler

I don't remember football fans violence when I was a kid. Rival fans used to jeer at each other but I don't recall any actual fighting. I wasn't afraid to be out alone after dark then - I'm not so keen on the idea now.

I have brought my children up to be polite and show respect for others too. Unfortunately not everyone is the same.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..