Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-12-2005, 16:55   #1
God Member

Older than the Wizard...

I've been watching the Wizard of Oz today with my two children - aged 6 and 3 (almost 4) and they loved it. It's so timeless that I suspect they'll be watching it with their children in 30 years time and it won't seem any older.

It was made in 1939 (or it might have been 38), anyway, it's over 60 years old.

It got me thinking, what else is still around from then and other than a few buildings and Chris's Grandad I couldn't think of much. Technology and townscapes change so much these days that nothing stays the same for long.

So what do you think will stand the test of time from modern times?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-12-2005, 17:14   #2
God Member

Re: Older than the Wizard...

Not broadway anyway. If its films then it has to be Lord of the rings. Buildings the glass egg in London Sports facility the Millemium Stadium.
Motors AM Vanquish. Folly the scottish Parliment Building. Song to many and it would start a squabble. Food british indian style.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 17:22   #3

in this throw away society ,i dont think there is much that will be around in later years ..nothing seems to be shaking the world any more ,were are the great painters poets composers ,theres no music now that will be around like timeless masters eg the beatles jimi hendrix etc etc .. we live in a consumer world use it ,dispose it and forget it ..
Old 22-12-2005, 21:27   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

There's another old movie that stands the test of time. It's the Jimmy Stewart classic, "It's a Wonderful Life". You'll always find it somewhere on TV at Christmas, and why? Because its a moral tale told so well. It has pathos, comedy and, of course, the delightful Jimmy (my all-time hero). I have it on video and, I believe, Santa is bringing me the "enhanced" DVD version on Sunday. Well, that's Christmas afternoon taken care of - a bottle of wine, a box of Black Magic and George Bailey (alias Jimmy).

One more thing that is still around - still the same - still unspoilt. ME!
Old 23-12-2005, 00:16   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Ice lollies they will always be with us in one form or the other and kids will always luv' em.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2005, 00:33   #6
God Member

the 'Bitter Sweet Symphony' music video!

i hear the wrinklies screaming..."what?! a music....video???!"
well if you havent seen it i urge you to search for it on tinternet ; it's a brilliant song that IS timeless and the video is sublime, we all want to be Richard Ashcroft in the vid, walking down the street at breaking point, not caring who or what gets in the way!
sweet
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2005, 00:36   #7
God Member

.....and as if by magic the video has just come on VH2!! dontya just love it when things like that happen...
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..