Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2011, 18:16   #16
Common Sense Member

Re: Oldham East & Saddleworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Nothing to do with Graham Jones, and when it comes to bending the truth Labour did that for thirteen years and it cost use very dear, the worst economic statistics every met by any incoming government in history
Just play that record one more time, baby. Not quite sick of hearing it yet.

Can we get it on the Accyweb jukebox?

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2011, 18:22   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Just play that record one more time, baby. Not quite sick of hearing it yet.

Can we get it on the Accyweb jukebox?
Just as bad as you continually bickering about Britcliffe, is he a fetish or summat
Old 14-01-2011, 18:27   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
The result will be a morale booster to Labour whose share of the vote is back to the 1997 landslide result .
There was a collapse in the Conservative vote , down from 26% to 12% . I think this is unusual in a bye-election so close to a General Election . They were down by more than 7000 votes , so they can't say that Conservative voters switched to the Liberal Democrats . If that was the case the Liberal Democrats would have won , but instead they were more than 3500 votes behind Labour . And remember that the Liberal Democrat boast used to be how well they did in bye-elections .

I think that the Coalition's mantra about the mess that Labour left behind is beginning to wear a bit thin . When people look at the USA , Ireland , Greece , Portugal , Spain , etc. they are reminded that the mess was a result of an international , global financial crisis .

Without doubt the Labour government made mistakes just like the Coalition is making , but in no way can it be made to share the full blame of what was a disaster for global capitalism .
I agree with the "global financial crisis" thing ... so obvious it's a no-brainer. As an aside, I would like to point out that Canada, with its resource-based economy, and its controled banks and financial sector survived the crisis almost unscathed ... in fact, it looks like we will make a profit on the Chrysler bail out ... and we did all this with a minority government.

I also happen to believe from what I have observed and studied from a distance, that the coalition's economic moves have more to do with tory ideology than they have with economics.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 18:33   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
It would be political suicide for the Lib-Dems to pull out of the Coalition....the way things have turned out the Lib-Dems need the Tories more than the Tories need them.
If the Coalition was to breakdown then it's likley the Tories would call a GE...the present polls show a Labour lead but the Toriy support has been stable...I reckon the Tories would gain a small overall majority if there was any election in the near future.
It's possible that it could be political suicide ... but there are other scenarios. If Clegg can convince his supporters and the uncommited voters that his leaving the coalition is a matter of principle, rather than opportunism, it might work in his favour. An opportunity will present itself when the tories introduce another round of cuts, esp. if those cuts are in the NHS.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 18:36   #20
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Just as bad as you continually bickering about Britcliffe, is he a fetish or summat
The difference being that each complaint about the Leader of the Council always yields a new fruit, such is the variety of the man's rather underhand politics. The squadron of Tory councillors despatched to the Market Hall on Tuesday following the submission of my motion to full council has thrown up some very interesting questions from traders which I look forward to investigating.

In contrast, your oft-repeated singular attack on the Labour administration is '13 years of bad financial management'. I suspect that those who read Accyweb now have a vague idea of what you consider to be the last government's failings.

Old 14-01-2011, 18:40   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The difference being that each complaint about the Leader of the Council always yields a new fruit, such is the variety of the man's rather underhand politics. The squadron of Tory councillors despatched to the Market Hall on Tuesday following the submission of my motion to full council has thrown up some very interesting questions from traders which I look forward to investigating.

In contrast, your oft-repeated singular attack on the Labour administration is '13 years of bad financial management'. I suspect that those who read Accyweb now have a vague idea of what you consider to be the last government's failings.
As they have about your feelings towards PB
Old 14-01-2011, 18:44   #22
Common Sense Member

Quote:
As they have about your feelings towards PB
I should hope so too. I want the true meaning of the lyrics conjured up by the man who writes the songs for Hyndburn well known by all those who pay taxes. If his use of public funds is so much better than Labour's 13 years of 'financial mis-management' then he should have nothing to hide and should actually be rather pleased that I'm doing his advertising for him.

With that in mind, I do find it odd that my scrutiny of his spending causes such resentment.

Old 14-01-2011, 18:44   #23
JCB

Quote:
'As usual'? That doesn't exactly paint Graham Jones in an honest light, does it?
What has a comment on the discredited ex-MP for Oldham East got to do with Graham Jones who hasn't been referred to on this thread until you mentioned him ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 18:49   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I should hope so too. I want the true meaning of the lyrics conjured up by the man who writes the songs for Hyndburn well known by all those who pay taxes. If his use of public funds is so much better than Labour's 13 years of 'financial mismanagement' then he should have nothing to hide and should actually be rather pleased that I'm doing his advertising for him.

With that in mind, I do find it odd that my scrutiny of his spending causes such resentment.
Nothing to do with spending its your aberrant hatred for him that sticks out if you can't see it take a long hard look at yourself your in the wrong job
Old 14-01-2011, 18:58   #25
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Nothing to do with spending its your aberrant hatred for him that sticks out if you can't see it take a long hard look at yourself your in the wrong job
That's the Peter in you talking again. I simply don't care for his style of politics or his methods.

If you think I have some sort of personal reason for having a go at a man I barely know outside of the council chamber then perhaps it's you who should think about the value of your knowledge of political goings on, not me.

Old 14-01-2011, 21:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
It's possible that it could be political suicide ... but there are other scenarios. If Clegg can convince his supporters and the uncommited voters that his leaving the coalition is a matter of principle, rather than opportunism, it might work in his favour. An opportunity will present itself when the tories introduce another round of cuts, esp. if those cuts are in the NHS.
I rather think Nick Clegg would have difficulties convincing his supporters, and the uncommitted voters, that he was leaving the coalition as a matter of principle rather than opportunism. Because many people regard his joining the coalition, in the first place, as opportunism -he has sacrificed his party on the altar of his personal ambition.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 09:10   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I rather think Nick Clegg would have difficulties convincing his supporters, and the uncommitted voters, that he was leaving the coalition as a matter of principle rather than opportunism. Because many people regard his joining the coalition, in the first place, as opportunism -he has sacrificed his party on the altar of his personal ambition.
A bit like Brown and Blair did back in the 90s they sold there principle down the river on the back of electability, which all you local activist agreed with until it started going belly up then you didn't want to know. There was a big C change from all your leaflets at local elections featuring "A message from Tony Blair" to we are only interest in local issues, ya reght
Old 15-01-2011, 09:21   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That's the Peter in you talking again. I simply don't care for his style of politics or his methods.

If you think I have some sort of personal reason for having a go at a man I barely know outside of the council chamber then perhaps it's you who should think about the value of your knowledge of political goings on, not me.
Lets look at it in depth, you've been a councillor 8 months and you know all the answers, Britcliffe as been a councillor 28 years, not in a safe seat like Bash but in St Andrews Ward, when Labour had a 41 seat majority Labour still couldn't get rid of him, they've never even come close, wonder why. Some years ago I was having a pint in my local the Stop in Ossy and an old friend came in, after an exchange of pleasantries, as you do, he just said "I see yon Mon's putting up again" who I asked, "Britcliffe", after a short pause he carried on "can't stand the bloke" each to his own I replied, another pause "but I always vote for him" why I asked "because he's the only beggar that gets out done"
Old 15-01-2011, 10:34   #29
Ken

Quote:
Lets look at it in depth, you've been a councillor 8 months and you know all the answers, Britcliffe as been a councillor 28 years, not in a safe seat like Bash but in St Andrews Ward, when Labour had a 41 seat majority Labour still couldn't get rid of him, they've never even come close, wonder why. Some years ago I was having a pint in my local the Stop in Ossy and an old friend came in, after an exchange of pleasantries, as you do, he just said "I see yon Mon's putting up again" who I asked, "Britcliffe", after a short pause he carried on "can't stand the bloke" each to his own I replied, another pause "but I always vote for him" why I asked "because he's the only beggar that gets out done"
I'm not denying his ability to get things done and I'm sure the good people of St Andrews are well looked after but the problem is that there are 15 other wards which make up Hyndburn and he is supposed to be Leader of them all.

It's easy to look after your ward when you control the money and it hasn't taken me 8 months to work that out.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 10:38   #30
Common Sense Member

Mods, somehow I've managed to create a second profile by logging in incorrectly. Could you do something about it for me please?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..