Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2011, 17:02   #1
Always EVIL within us

Question Opt-out policies for councils

Making a comment on another thread reminded me of something that has always confused me.

Why is it always financially beneficial for councils to get outside contractors to do the jobs that are the responsibility of the council?

Car park and street wardens for example, I know that the council receive £X-00 annually without raising a finger but the private companies that are paying that are also making a tidy sum on top otherwise they would go bust

Many councils use outside firms to collect rubbish and recycled waste. If there wasn't money in it, no one would put in a tender.

Catering? I believe that even the Houses of Parliament use outside caterers - WHY? If the facilities are there, why pay someone else to supply the staff?

Maybe I am missing something here, they can pay staff £60.000 for a non-job explaining to the general population how they can avoid being non-pc but can't afford £25.000 to an experienced caterer to run a canteen?

Can anyone explain what I am missing please?
Old 29-01-2011, 17:32   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Opt-out policies for councils

Be interesting to know the answer.

Perhaps because many of those in charge haven't achieved great success themselves, in the real world of commerce?

Perhaps we can contract out some of our councillors.

That should prove financially beneficial.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 20:58   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747 View Post
Can anyone explain what I am missing please?
You can thank (or blame) Margaret Thatcher.

She introduced the concept of Compulsory Competitive Tendering for most Council services in the early 1980s, forcing them to test the inhouse service costs against what the private sector could do. The only factor that could be taken into account in those days was cost, and it led to a field day for private companies to cut corners and provide a thoroughly shoddy service, in areas such as refuse collection, street and building cleaning.

The Labour Government plugged the loopholes in the rules from 1997 onwards by introducing Best Value, where price AND quality had to be taken into account, but by then many of the old in house providers had long since been dismantled.

And so today we still have many services run by outside contractors.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 10:35   #4
Resting in Peace

The Labour Council that only stayed in power for 12 months did one of the most stupid thinks I've ever heard of, they did away with the Works Department, the Works department that was actually making a profit and was actually bringing money into the council, in the previous year they had a profit of around £350000 which was ploughed back into the council coffers, it was a excellently run department but they scrapped it, if I remember rightly that is one issue Graham and myself agreed on

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..