Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2012, 19:21   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Oswaldtwistle Moor

I was held up at the temporary lights where the entrance to the site is. When I set of again I followed two mucky tippers which came from the site all the way down New Lane and through Church lights and they went up Whinney hill as I turned left at the Greyhound lights.
I was later told they had thousands of tons of hard core to take from Whinney Hill quarry to the site but no information on what they are doing up there.
Old 31-03-2012, 20:13   #17
Resting in Peace

So, what is the point to this thread anyway. Just grumbling that there is a road being constructed for access to the Wind Farm and to get equipment up there.

Bound to be a bit of a mess for a while, isn't there ?

Once built and operating, all the dumper trucks and machinery will go and be forgotten. Can't see much traffic going up there on a daily basis.

Decision has been made .... was plenty of chances to object. Get over it.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:03   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I was held up at the temporary lights where the entrance to the site is. When I set of again I followed two mucky tippers which came from the site all the way down New Lane and through Church lights and they went up Whinney hill as I turned left at the Greyhound lights.
I was later told they had thousands of tons of hard core to take from Whinney Hill quarry to the site but no information on what they are doing up there.
I noticed how dirty the top of New Lane was round the bends at the top where it becomes Duckworth Hill Lane this morning. The trucks you saw explain why the road and the cars are so dirty.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:30   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I noticed how dirty the top of New Lane was round the bends at the top where it becomes Duckworth Hill Lane this morning. The trucks you saw explain why the road and the cars are so dirty.
Maybe now you will believe that the electrical system in my car seized up last summer due to dust. I had a building site next door!

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:45   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Maybe now you will believe that the electrical system in my car seized up last summer due to dust. I had a building site next door!
I can't remember the details but suspect your car problems are mainly due to lack of use. Your alternator/starter motor could fill up with dust but less likely if it was used more often.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:00   #21

Murphy's Mob is doing the groundwork - sounds Irish to me.

The wind turbines used to be made on the Isle of Wight until a European Company bought it up, closed it down and took the work to the continent.

If we remember right there was a sit-in demonstration at the Isle of Wight site, but it made no difference.

Barry & Sheila
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 12:18   #22

Back in 1989 when planning the Great Oswaldtwistle walk we where refused permission to walk across the moors, along the boundary with Haslingden, because we would disturb the nesting birds.
I am sure that this is much more disturbing than 150 people walking in one day.
Photos of the destruction of Oswaldtwistle moors.
IMGP1940.JPG

IMGP1944.JPG

IMGP1950.JPG

Taken on 6 April

Last edited by Spider61; 26-04-2012 at 12:21.
Spider61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 14:01   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider61 View Post
Back in 1989 when planning the Great Oswaldtwistle walk we where refused permission to walk across the moors, along the boundary with Haslingden, because we would disturb the nesting birds.
I am sure that this is much more disturbing than 150 people walking in one day.
Photos of the destruction of Oswaldtwistle moors.
Attachment 19457

Attachment 19458

Attachment 19459

Taken on 6 April
Good point, looks like a moonscape, and it expands beyond the moors, the stuff removed from the site has to travel right across the borough to be tipped, with all the mess and traffic problems.

Just remember when it is active harnessing the wind we will all have cheap energy...........I don't think !
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 14:06   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post
Anyone seen what they are doing up there at the moment? Trucks, diggers, concrete, tracks all over the place.

I'm surprised there wasn't more opposition to the wind farm before it was built.

Don't the land owners get subsidies to build wind-farms - which are pretty rubbish source of electricity. There was a program that said wind farms are being built because Tony Blair signed an EU agreement that the UK would produce a certain percentage of it's energy by renewable means - this is why we are having these things built now!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 20:24   #25
God Member

the ones up here are off 50% of the time. they are still paid a standard amount to turn them off and they are everywhere because of Herr Salmond.Donald trump is the guy who is supporting the anti-wind farm movement up here and has salmond on the run.
Old 26-04-2012, 21:12   #26
Senior Member+

The answer would be to make electricity cheaper, the demand would go up and the windmills would turn all the time
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 23:31   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
the ones up here are off 50% of the time. they are still paid a standard amount to turn them off and they are everywhere because of Herr Salmond.Donald trump is the guy who is supporting the anti-wind farm movement up here and has salmond on the run.
Landowners get paid to have them - regardless of how much electricity they generate!
Old 27-04-2012, 23:03   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Landowners get paid to have them - regardless of how much electricity they generate!
Come on who gave me some BAD Karma for this post? Coward can't even put a name to it!
Old 27-04-2012, 23:25   #29

At a guess i would say someone who owns some land that might soon have a monstrosity on it.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 11:21   #30
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Come on who gave me some BAD Karma for this post? Coward can't even put a name to it!
Have you ever had red k that's been signed?? Cos I haven't - always anonymous!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..