Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-12-2006, 09:44   #1
Resident Waffler

Talking PanoptiCAN and PanoptiCAN'T

On Christmas Eve we decided to go on a Panopticon hunt after church, well it makes a change from coming home and having Sunday dinner doesn't it?

As we were already in Blackburn we went to look at that one first. Of course you have to know it's in Corporation Park because you can't actually see it from any part of Blackburn. You can't see it from most of Corporation Park either come to think of it but knowing it's at the top end off Revidge Road does help and it is signposted once you get inside the park.

It's just a pity that the person who made the sign doesn't know how to spell panopticon, despite there being a huge placard only yards away.

It's not looking quite so colourful as it was when new.

From there we went over to Burnley to visit the Singing Ringing Tree.

Unfortunately it had started to turn foggy as we headed off up the road towards Rossendale. Although we kept our eyes peeled we were totally unable to tell if the structure can be viewed from the road.

As we approached the familiar Panopticon placard we met an intrepid couple returning from their chilly hike over the fog bound moors to seek out the Singing Ringing Tree and I couldn't help musing to myself that the placards are more noticeable than the actual panopticons themselves. The couple assured us that it wasn't more than quarter of a mile away and the path "wasn't bad" so off we went as the fog closed in around us. A little way along the path we spotted something in the distance - which turned out to be somebody else who'd been off down there to look at it. They assured us it wasn't far now.

Then mysteriously ahead of us in the fog - there it was.

Em ran on ahead. By this time we were freezing cold and the wind was blowing round our ears.

Unfortunately despite the freezing wind the flippin tree totally refused to sing to us.

So we left it to the shrouding fog and headed for home.

The first couple we met had said they planned on returning another day because they still wanted to hear it sing. Maybe we should have directed them to Neil's video on AccyWeb

Attached Images
File Type: jpg panoptican_and_panoptcant 003.jpg (42.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg panoptican_and_panoptcant 005.jpg (55.8 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg panoptican_and_panoptcant 018.jpg (73.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg panoptican_and_panoptcant 022.jpg (52.3 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg panoptican_and_panoptcant 004.jpg (68.9 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg panoptican_and_panoptcant 026.jpg (24.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg panoptican_and_panoptcant 027.jpg (25.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg panoptican_and_panoptcant 029.jpg (28.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg panoptican_and_panoptcant 031.jpg (33.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg panoptican_and_panoptcant 032.jpg (28.7 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 26-12-2006 at 09:47.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-12-2006, 11:15   #2
Always EVIL within us

Re: PanoptiCAN and PanoptiCAN'T

In my capacity of Chauffer to the waffler, I was dragged along to view what was and still is in my opinion, a terrible waste of finances. I was totally unimpressed by either Panopticon but for the sake of Gayles sanity, had no urge to yet again put my opinions down on the Accyweb.............

However....

I feel that I must bring up the safety aspect regarding "Colour Fields" in Blackburn.

In the picture below, notice how the parapet hangs over the edge of a drop that is perhaps 15ft or so.

It is designed so that people can put their weight on the railings as they admire the views of Blackburns Industry.........

All that seems to be preventing them from plunging to the ground is 4 bolts

There MAY be some type of mastic between the plates although there is no sign of any or welding as there are gaps that allow you to see right through...........and the scariest thing is that during the construction, they must have run out of washers as many of the bolts just have bog standard nuts fitted with no washers or other securing devices, a vandal with a basic tool set could render this Panopticon a deathtrap in moments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parapet.jpg (309.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg the drop.jpg (308.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg one bolt.jpg (306.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg two bolts.jpg (310.0 KB, 76 views)
Old 27-12-2006, 11:25   #3
Resident Waffler

Below the overhang is quite a steep slope too which is very slippery when wet so even when you walk down the steps at the opposite side you are on dangerous ground. Wouldn't it have been better to have a level area at the base so that those steps actually led down to something?

Maybe everyone else is afraid of commenting here.

Old 27-12-2006, 12:37   #4
Give, give, give member

Blimey how cheap was the paint and carpet they used in Corporation Park?

I hope they kept the guarantee.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 12:46   #5
Member.

Thank you for sharing this expedition of yours with us, nice to see the things in the raw. The Blackburn one is a disgrace and in my eyes nothing but vandalism. The Burley one looks better in some of your photos Willow.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 12:47   #6
God Member

i'm gonna venture up there sometime this week and see if it actually does sing
Old 27-12-2006, 13:05   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Below the overhang is quite a steep slope too which is very slippery when wet so even when you walk down the steps at the opposite side you are on dangerous ground. Wouldn't it have been better to have a level area at the base so that those steps actually led down to something?

Maybe everyone else is afraid of commenting here.
not really willow if i go off on one about this,more afraid of getting banned.
Old 27-12-2006, 13:12   #8
Give, give, give member

The Blackburn one looks like the entrance to an East German block of flats, fallen on hard times.

Old 27-12-2006, 13:41   #9
Resident Waffler

I was really disappointed that the Burnley one didn't sing to us that day but it was interesting how it slowly loomed up out of the fog - quite eerie. Maybe the fog had something to do with it dampening the sound.

Old 27-12-2006, 14:16   #10
Give, give, give member

I like the photographs of the Singing Ringing Tree, very atmospheric.

If there is fog, that means there is no wind, doesn't it? High atmospheric pressure, and all the precipition below 2,000 feet and all that, which would explain why it wasn't 'singing'.

Old 27-12-2006, 14:41   #11
Always EVIL within us

Surprisingly, there was quite a gusty wind despite the fog.............and freezing!!!
Old 27-12-2006, 15:00   #12
I am Banned

the first one isnt bad but i thought these things were supposed to be wheel chair friendly , all a person in a wheelchair will get a view of is the steps

2nd on is exactly why people dont want anything on the coppice , it sticks out like a sore thumb , ruins teh scenery and to be frank a peice of sh1t that some halfwit will have gotten paid thousands to design and stick a label on it saying " this is art"

infact i think i made somthing similar with lollypop sticks when i was in juniour school but smaller
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 15:11   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
infact i think i made somthing similar with lollypop sticks when i was in juniour school but smaller
You went to school?

Old 27-12-2006, 15:32   #14
Resident Waffler

No, he went to somethng like school, but smaller.

Old 27-12-2006, 15:48   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
and to be frank a peice of sh1t that some halfwit will have gotten paid thousands to design and stick a label on it saying " this is art"
Brilliantly put and exactly my sentiments on both of 'em! What a scandal that public money is being wasted on complete and utter garbage like this!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..