Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 20:28   #1
Member.

Panopticon Be Bu****ed………Coppice tonight.

Having spent the last few days listening to people expressing their feelings about this matter got the better of me tonight. I got in to the car and drove over manly to go up and have a look at the coppice on the ground so to speak. 1st time in 35 years I stood and looked out over the centre of Accrington and the rest of the borough. All I can say is that I don’t see how this art work will be of any benefit to the town have a look at the photos and make your own minds up. I’m sorry about the quality but it was 6 p.m. this evening and a bit grey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01112.JPG (157.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01113.JPG (150.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01123.JPG (152.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01131.JPG (145.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01190.JPG (149.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01172.JPG (148.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01150.JPG (143.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01142.JPG (152.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01177.JPG (151.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01180.JPG (140.2 KB, 15 views)

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 01-04-2005 at 20:47.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-04-2005, 20:47   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Panopticon Be Bu****ed………Coppice tonight.

It will be alright when the ski-lift is installed Doug.........we may even get litter wardens up there too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 20:54   #3
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
It will be alright when the ski-lift is installed Doug.........we may even get litter wardens up there too.
It wasn’t that bad up their Margaret I must say. I was buggered by time I got up there but it was well worth it. I would recommend that any one who as never been up or those, like me who haven’t been up since Childhood. Go and do it, get off your backsides and take a walk, boots would be a good idea, and someone to lean now and again…..lol The rubbish was Boot’s Sale leaflets that someone tried to burn rather than post. The level of graffiti was bad, but it could be reversed. I wouldn’t want anyone messing about up there now, leave it now for history.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 01-04-2005, 21:28   #4
Resident Waffler

Looking at those photos Doug my first reaction is almost despair at the vandalism, graffitti and litter. My second reaction is that there is no way that "high form" could be created up there by being dug by hand. My third thought is that the rough grassland doesn't really lend itself to being neatly manicured twice a year does it? Thanks for the photos.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 21:29   #5
Junior Member+

Smile Re: Panopticon Be Bu****ed………Coppice tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
It wasn’t that bad up their Margaret I must say. I was buggered by time I got up there but it was well worth it. I would recommend that any one who as never been up or those, like me who haven’t been up since Childhood. Go and do it, get off your backsides and take a walk, boots would be a good idea, and someone to lean now and again…..lol The rubbish was Boot’s Sale leaflets that someone tried to burn rather than post. The level of graffiti was bad, but it could be reversed. I wouldn’t want anyone messing about up there now, leave it now for history.
Doug. Do you realise that the Panopticon got you up there, (even though it aint there yet), and now you're telling other folk to go and have a look.

The Coppice is a great place to view our Town and the surrounding area and were it not for these proposals you wouldnt have gone.......... If I'm wrong please correct me.

Even if it doesnt manage to bring in some extra funding to clean the grafitti, to clear the rubbish, to renovate the shelter - It got you and it WILL get others up there to see the spectacular views which Accy has to offer........

I was up there a few months ago, it was cold and the wind was howling but I stood there and looked out over the borough in which I live and I felt proud.

Glad you enjoyed your walk.
Cjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 22:11   #6
Member.

Thanks willow, I’m sure that the damage can be put right and with the help and commitment of the locals, wardens and HBC. I agree that they will be hard pressed to do it by hand, and I must say what more could you do for nature and the wild life than is already up there.

I looked at where they are suggesting placing this art form? I don’t believe it will work and up until going up tonight Gayle had almost convinced me I was wrong.

I’m sure your right Cjay, and I’m very glad I did it. It was a surprise really; I don't know what I was expecting…….I must say that their where quite a number of people up there come on and off during the time I was up there. Some youngsters around and not doing any harm. A lot of people went out their way to say hello, male and female. What a wonderful place Accrington is…………..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 01-04-2005, 22:25   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjay
Doug. Do you realise that the Panopticon got you up there, (even though it aint there yet), and now you're telling other folk to go and have a look.
if someone said the coppice was going to be blown up in 3 weeks people would go up and take a look around as well

dosnt mean it should happen though

Last edited by chav1; 01-04-2005 at 22:26.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 22:57   #8
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I see you got the pictures yourself Doug, I'd charged up my camera batteries and was going up tomorrow morning for you, never mind I might still go anyway.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 23:02   #9
I am Banned

Nice pics Doug [u not stalking me are u btw pmsl] shame about the mess the made of the monument i haven't been up for ages!!! used to be my childhood haunt aww nice to see things still there, personally i can see what this Panopticon is gonna do for the town unless u is in an aircraft!!! Tho i think money needs to go in cleaning the place up ...shame.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 23:07   #10
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
I see you got the pictures yourself Doug, I'd charged up my camera batteries and was going up tomorrow morning for you, never mind I might still go anyway.
Please do Bagpuss, I had hoped to get over tonight or tomorrow. I was bored and had finished work early so I thought why not. It was going on for six when I got there and the light was going, today was more of a peek really and I look forward to get back for a day so I can take more time and maybe have a pint or to early afternoon. I would still be very grateful for some decent photos and I’m sure that other expats would feel the same…….again thank for offering in the first place Bagpuss it is very much appreciated. By the way, if you see some grey haired old fart looking distant and gormless up there be kind, it may well be me.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 01-04-2005, 23:13   #11
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
Nice pics Doug [u not stalking me are u btw pmsl] shame about the mess the made of the monument i haven't been up for ages!!! used to be my childhood haunt aww nice to see things still there, personally i can see what this Panopticon is gonna do for the town unless u is in an aircraft!!! Tho i think money needs to go in cleaning the place up ...shame.
Not unless you were the good looking blonde lass that was up there with a couple of dogs...lol. I'd forgotten just how good looking Accy girls could be. I'm not really that bad really. ...

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 01-04-2005, 23:31   #12
I am Banned

LOL ahhh nope twas not me ...tho my one is in the doghouse today pmsl!!

Quote:
Not unless you were the good looking blonde lass that was up there with a couple of dogs...lol. I'd forgotten just how good looking Accy girls could be. I'm not really that bad really. ...
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 00:31   #13
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
LOL ahhh nope twas not me ...tho my one is in the doghouse today pmsl!!
one can only dream..................

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 02-04-2005, 06:52   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I'd forgotten just how good looking Accy girls could be.
Are you talking before or after 10 pints?
Old 02-04-2005, 13:01   #15
Member.

My god, your a brave man Neil.......lol. Before for the good looking ones and that all I'm going to say on the matter. I don't think I could do ten paints these days.......another sign of age and the body undermining a beautiful youthful mind.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..