Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What are your objections to the Panopticon project?
I would prefer a different site to be considered. 13 28.89%
I do not like the aesthetics of the design. 3 6.67%
I do not like the entire rationale behind the project. 12 26.67%
I appreciate the rationale behind the project but the scheme needs to be further developed. 11 24.44%
I have no objections to the Panopticon project. 6 13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 17:57   #16
God Member

Re: Panopticon Poll

There is something not quite right about this. In her previous comments on the level of support for the proposal, gleaned from public meetings, Gayle said that the results showed a level of support of 75%. She did not qualify this statement in any way.
Now it seems that since the poll she held on this site does not show the same 75% support, all of a sudden qualifications and quibbles abound - anything it seems can be stretched and manipulated to achieve the desired result.

This is exactly the way that quango's operate. How could we have imagined that NWRDA's mouthpiece would act any differently?

Welcome to the New Democracy - you can vote as many times as you like but, we will only count the votes that agree with us.
Old 03-04-2005, 19:56   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob

Welcome to the New Democracy - you can vote as many times as you like but, we will only count the votes that agree with us.
How many times have you actually voted? I'm sure you've voted here so have you voted at the consultations too? I hope no one is attempting to skew the figures by voting more than once! Or is it ok if the people who are objecting get more than one vote as you seem to imply?
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 19:57   #18
Full Member+

Talking Re: Panopticon Poll

I thought you did`nt want to work Sunday night Gayle, you are missing Heartbeat!!
Old 03-04-2005, 19:59   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mick
I thought you did`nt want to work Sunday night Gayle, you are missing Heartbeat!!
Thank you for pointing that out but I've been missing Heartbeat since the first episode, I think I can miss one more.
Old 03-04-2005, 20:02   #20
Full Member+

I know, it`s never been the same since Nick Berry left!!
Old 03-04-2005, 20:03   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mick
I know, it`s never been the same since Nick Berry left!!

Nick Berry was in it - if I'd known I might have considered watching it - NOT!
Old 03-04-2005, 20:28   #22
Beacon of light

Well Gayle, on here you can only vote once......unless of course you have more that one identity. When I come on here to check how things are going.......it tells me that i have already voted in this poll.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 20:38   #23
God Member

Very sensible and it was not me that first suggested that anyone would vote more than once. All I was meaning was that to vote 'no' here then going to the public exhibitions and voting 'no' could be construed as voting more than once.
Old 03-04-2005, 20:45   #24
Beacon of light

Oh I thought that you meant on here Gayle.....sorry, my misunderstanding.
But then maybe if there are other polls being conducted it should be made clear that if you have voted on here that you are ineligible to vote again.

I certainly did not expect anyone to take notice of our threads and posts......but I am glad that they did!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 20:51   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Oh I thought that you meant on here Gayle.....sorry, my misunderstanding.
But then maybe if there are other polls being conducted it should be made clear that if you have voted on here that you are ineligible to vote again.

I certainly did not expect anyone to take notice of our threads and posts......but I am glad that they did!
I can assure you people definitely do pay attention to the things on here. Also, I didn't say that people who'd already voted couldn't vote again because I did want to get the general opinion of users of this site. And there's always the possibility that some of the 'yes' voters voted here and at the public exhibitions too.

Anyway, I will keep you all informed of things that are going on.
Old 03-04-2005, 21:50   #26
God Member

Post 17>> I hope no one is attempting to skew the figures by voting more than once!<<

Post 25>> Also, I didn't say that people who'd already voted couldn't vote again <<

Selective memory too!
Old 03-04-2005, 22:09   #27
Resident Waffler

Isn't it interesting that there are five options in the poll and that only one of those options is an actual "Yes" vote which at this point in time has 13.64% of the vote.

The "No" vote has been split between 4 different options of "No" by choosing 4 different possible alternative reasons for voting "No" and I for one felt I was in a bit of a dilemma because I have more than one objection but couldn't decide which was the most important so eventually chose the first one, although I feel equally strongly on the second point also. I wouldn't like the present design even if it were located elsewhere.

I know where you're coming from A-b. Gayle Knight's interpretation of the vote is that only 27.27% of the people object the the entire rationale behind the project so theoretically that can be made to say that the other 72.73% of us are in favour. On the other hand the way I see it is that only 13.64% of the voters are actually in favour and even if you add that to the 25% who do not object to the overall rationale but still feel we have a long way to go (or in Gayle's words it still needs further development) that still only gives a total of 38.64% which is hardly a majority.

Makes you wonder how the other 75% figure (quoted) was arrived at doesn't it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:57   #28
God Member

It is clear that the poll options are the same questions which were asked at the public meetings. Thus alllowing MidPennine Arts to claim the same level of support as deduced from the poll held here. If you ask leading questions, you get the answers you want, which is why leading questions are not allowed in courts of law.

For all the pretence of public consultation MidPennine and NWRDA are not in the least bit interested in what we have to say, unless of course we happen to agree with the proposal. This has been just one more of the procedural hoops through which they have to jump and as such, it is about as meaningless and vapid as the second-hand design they are eager to foist on us.

If this proposal is given planning permission we will, sooner or later, regret it. But by then it will be too late to do anything about it and a valuable and intrinsic part of Accrington's history will have been damaged beyond repair. I agree that the Coppice is in need of attention but, this sort of attention it can well do without.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:57   #29
I am Banned

i voted on another location although i was thinking of france but it didnt let me suggest the new location lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:45   #30
God Member

It has gone suspiciously quiet on this front - makes you wonder what they are up to, doesn't it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..