Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 22:31   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Paris Riots

was just thinking,these riots/civil distubances have continued now for 9 nights,what struck me was although we are not free from these unfortunate incidents, i can never remember any here not being under control after so long. also to my knowledge the gendarmes have always been armed,so that seems not to make a differance, it just basically comes down to this for me= we are BETTER at controlling these things than the french (who i love ) any opinions?
Old 05-11-2005, 22:43   #2
Member.

Re: Paris Riots

I don’t think that those in this country undergo the same levels of despair and derogation as our France counterparts. What worries me is the example that these outrages display to an immigrant population over here who quite wrongly believe that they are threatened by our religion, Laws and discriminated against because of being Black, Asian or Muslim. If you have seen the equally despicable actions of a few morons down in the Hemsworth cemetery and the disturbances there over the last few day’s the last thing we need is these people being given encouragement by what’s happening in France. I think your right in the fact that we approach things differently, but how long will it be before things start to slip here.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 22:47   #3
God Member

The unfortunate problems that France is having could just as easily be here with us and with the same devistating effects. The way the law is srutured means that over here the minorities have a case to fight through the courts but does France? If France has no law to protect minorities and their rights then maybe the one we have though dispised might prevent whats happening there happening here.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 22:48   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

just whats making me think doug, same wavelength springs to mind.
Old 05-11-2005, 22:57   #5
Member.

I know it maybe wrong and insensitive of me but I am glad that I live in an area with a low Muslim/Asian population. There are many moving into the Cleveleys area but on the all they are well mannered and pleasant. But I do fear for many of the areas with large populations and the mutual fear and mistrust that may rear it ugly head as a result of what’s happening in the world. I think we may yet see some form of resentment building up in respect of the indifference to the events in Pakistan..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 23:03   #6
God Member

It wont take muchto cause the mistrust to build between the communities and when it does it will be like 2 ghettos of a town. I dont think its wrong or insensitive to be worried about the this as what lies in the future nobody knows. Its when the aisian population starts to stay all in one area which makes people wary some towns up here actively discourage it and they get on better. Its almost like the ganland mentality of old.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-11-2005, 00:12   #7
Give, give, give member

British riots have always been in the summer.

British rioters don't like getting wet, ask the people of Toxteth, Brixton, and Burnley.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:37   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
British riots have always been in the summer.

British rioters don't like getting wet, ask the people of Toxteth, Brixton, and Burnley.
thats true,but they seem to be under control much quicker than the french.
Old 06-11-2005, 13:18   #9
God Member

I think the difference here is that we don't have government ministers telling the rioters that they are "Scum". They might think that, but our ministers are far too polite to actually say so.
Old 06-11-2005, 13:20   #10
I am Banned

i think its a nice change to see the french willing to fight even if it is 50 or so years too late
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 13:41   #11
God Member

Quite honestly, I don't give a damn if they burn the entire country down. Bug*ar the French!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 14:34   #12
God Member

Its the only time they fight is when they are board.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..