Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2023, 18:47   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Personal Data.

Taddy, I wish I could explain it in a way that you would understand it.
But I would need to take pictures to show you.
It is getting a bit ridiculous when after a few days I try to log on and I am yet again asked to consent to my personal details being stored by all these companies or organisations.
Now my iPad is insisting on logging me out after each visit.
So my ploy to avoid having to deal with the data consent requests may not work.
taddy likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-07-2023, 12:17   #32
Beacon of light

I have, again today, been faced with those pesky requests for personal data.
So have spent time cancelling something like 117 toggles to deny access to companies who would want to use me details.
My ploy not to log out of the site seems to have been in vain.
It seems only a few days ago that I completed this chore…but it had to be done again.
Why doesn’t the site save my preferences for longer?
Perhaps if I keep having to do this they will think I might get fed up and accept all requests.
Well, I won’t, but it might stop me from logging on.
Old 15-07-2023, 08:26   #33

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1272938]Taddy, I wish I could explain it in a way that you would understand it.
But I would need to take pictures to show you.

Thank you anyway.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 13:05   #34
Beacon of light

Just had to do the bloody personal data thing again…so my choices last only one week.
I ask myself if it is worth it….because I am beginning to doubt it.
Old 29-07-2023, 10:06   #35
Beacon of light

Another week has passed and again I am being badgered for my personal data.
Why am I needed to do this on a weekly basis?
I have not changed my mind…if I did I could easily change the settings.
Old 31-07-2023, 10:22   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I cant understand why yer being asked for them? the wife never has been and she buys most stuff online?
Old 31-07-2023, 14:10   #37
Beacon of light

No Cashy, the personal data request is for this site and it has only happened since the server change, and it is only on my iPad. My desktop has not thrown up this request.
It is for third parties to use my data and some of these companies want to leave their cookies on my device for 730 days.

I have had to uncheck all those toggles today to come on the forum...there are 117 in total and it is tiresome becuse t takes about ten minutes to do it
Old 31-07-2023, 14:46   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the sites gone crazy i think.
Old 31-07-2023, 16:53   #39
Beacon of light

Well, it is not what it once was, that is for sure.
Despite efforts to get people to engage and to post…it still seems like it is fading.
Yet the other day there were more than 200 people reading stuff in General chat…they read, but do not contribute and recently there have been some threads that should have been of interest.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:07   #40
God Member

Margaret,
Do you clear your browsing history on your iPad regularly?
I do, and the next time I go to the Accyweb it requires me to log in and up pops the ‘cookie’ option request.
What I notice is that, other than ‘legitimate’ interests, all the annoying toggles options (personal ads, etc) are defaulted to not accepting.
So I click on ‘confirm’.
Are you also trying to untick the ‘legitimate” toggles too?
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 11:02   #41
Beacon of light

yes I deny legitimate interests and the biggest task is in the 'Vendors' section.
It doesn't seem to matter whether I close my browser of not...i can leave the tab open but if i go back to it i need to log in again.
I thought that not logging out on my iPad would mean that i did not get these irritating requests, but it seems that since the change of server i am logged out automatically.
Old 01-08-2023, 18:19   #42

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1273359]yes I deny legitimate interests and the biggest task is in the 'Vendors' section.
It doesn't seem to matter whether I close my browser of not...i can leave the tab open but if i go back to it i need to log in again.
I thought that not logging out on my iPad would mean that i did not get these irritating requests, but it seems that since the change of server i am logged out automatically.

All this leaves me in absolute bewilderment.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 19:02   #43
Beacon of light

Taddy it is just a bleeding imbuggerance.
I just wonder if these companies who harvest our details, make it that way so that we will click on ‘Accept All’.
Old 01-08-2023, 22:19   #44
Full Member+

Of course they want you to accept all, but they also have to give you a way of not accepting all their buscuits, so they just make it as hard as possible not to accept them. You can blame the EU mostly for this. A lot of websites, at least EU/UK based ones give you the option to only accept necessary cookies and reject none essential ones and that info should be permanent. I think the forum software on Accy web uses 3rd party ads and therefore also biscuits, sorry cookies....
Old 01-08-2023, 23:09   #45
Full Member+

You do need to understand how the internet works, the internet is a none persistent state, which means that anytime you visit a website it treats you like that's the first time you've ever visited. Hence biscuits, sorry cookies, came about to help websites know if you've visited before and therefore remember you are.

Alas cookies were exploited, so they weren't just tracking you on one website but across multiple sites. Hence the ICO got involved ( ICO = Information Commissioner's Office) and then we had the EU implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Which has a clause that all websites need to tell you about what biscuits, sorry cookies, they are collecting, how they are using them and also give you the option to deny. Most websites are implementing this wrongly, a website cannot say by using this website you consent to having cookies.

The new law says unless you consent, and consent cannot be implied by using a website, no cookies (unless they necessary for the running of the site) can be placed on your computer.

In order for a website to remember that you said no to biscuits, sorry cookies, they have to put one on your computer so that the website knows not to ask again the next time you visit.

My guess is every time you click that you don't want to have cookies there's a cookie on your computer that expires after 7 days. When websites create cookies there's also the option to have them expire after a certain point in time.
Margaret Pilkington and taddy like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..