Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2008, 21:09   #1
God Member

Question Politics -This should make interesting reading?

1. (David Davies) Does the current round of mud slinging alter your views?
2. (EU Debate) In or Out? Why?
3. (Local Politics) Would you change the party of choice if given the chance?
4. (National Politics) can you say that you like this particular politician. Who and why?
5. (Transport and Carbon Footprint) On your next holiday, what would be your choice. Fly - Drive - Swim?
6. (Public Transport) What would be your choice of transport on your next trip to London, Blackpool or the Lakes?
Long list, I agree but seems to be the topics in focus at the moment.
Let's put the world to rights......There could be a lurking politician in our mid'st taking this on board?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2008, 21:14   #2
white rabbits

Re: Politics -This should make interesting reading?

I am sick of all polititions at the moment,,,they are all greedy grabbing people,,So i dont care about any more polls
Old 14-06-2008, 21:24   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
I am sick of all polititions at the moment,,,they are all greedy grabbing people,,So i dont care about any more polls
As are we all, but lets get the views,of our fellow members.
This is not a poll but a debate....I think?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 21:59   #4

1. No. Some other issue will raise its head shortly and it will be forgotten about.

2. I assume you to mean the Common Market, not the Lisbon reform treaty. The answer for me is out. It will be argued that it’s better for the economy, this, that and the other. Personally I’m just fed up with all the silly little bits of legislative crap/directives that come our way. One of the latest examples being that all new cars from 2011 will have to driven with dipped headlights at any time of the day. It’s a nonsense that some div gets paid to think up this twaddle. LET ME OUT lol

3. Is it not always the case that once the party of choice has been in a few month, they no longer become first choice ?
Let someone else have a go at the helm soon. I’m a Scot by birth been in Accy for over 35 years. I like Accrington I really do, it’s my home and it is such a shame to see the town die a slow death.

4. Nope.

5. Have a holiday…I cant afford to stay at home lol I will do whatever I have to do to get to my destination. I don’t really give a ****** about my “Carbon Footprint” I recycle, use Energy saving bulbs, drive a small relatively low polluting car…I do my bit

6. If I had to use Public transport then my choice would most likely be governed by price.

I’m no budding politician, guessed folk dint need telling that
Old 14-06-2008, 23:46   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Yes.

I am disillusioned at the current infighting that's happening within the Conservative party.

The only thing going for them was their unity.

Now there seems such a battle between the new hug-a-hoody brigade, and the old hang 'em and flog 'em Tories.

I don't know what to think.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 00:14   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

(1) no in general they are all *******. (2) out if we had gone the whole hog at the begining i may have viewed it differant. (3) yes. (4)none -is no outstanding one in any of the parties. (5) i will fly, not interested in carbon footprints, its always the peasants they expect to do their bit.(6) train to london, others bus,(7) i'm lurking but aint no politition.
Old 15-06-2008, 03:47   #7
God Member

1. (David Davies) Does the current round of mud slinging alter your views? Temper tantrums come to mind on this issue, and not getting your own way...
2. (EU Debate) In or Out? Why? In. The EU was initially, and still is one valuable unity we have in regards to economic equality and the avoidance of economic competition between states in the EU, which was ultimately the cause of WWII. Whilst the current system may not be ideal for whatever reason, that fundamental principle entrenched into the Community is important in my eyes, and leaving the EU would not do us any favours.
3. (Local Politics) Would you change the party of choice if given the chance? I currently lack faith in either party at the moment, and both seem to be gaining favour from the public in instances of the oppositions mistakes, rather than any strengths. I cant honestly say a party is 100% more competent than the other at the moment, particularly as the Tory policies will only be fully identified when a general election is called, and there is no doubt that they are playing on ambiguity at the moment.
4. (National Politics) can you say that you like this particular politician. Who and why? I don't quite understand this question, is this asking who I think the leader should be? I would opt for David Cameron over Gordon Brown. My reasons being that whilst Cameron may be playing solely on Labour's difficulties at the moment, he does show competence as a potential leader in my opinion, and a good character. It comes to the question of whether he is acting genuinely, but again, I think this is yet to be made clear in the near future.
5. (Transport and Carbon Footprint) On your next holiday, what would be your choice. Fly - Drive - Swim? Haven't been on holiday for years, and I quite like Blackpool/London, so it would likely be train. I guess this kind of answers the next question too...
6. (Public Transport) What would be your choice of transport on your next trip to London, Blackpool or the Lakes? See above, but if I was visiting Blackpool/Morecambe from Lancaster I would probably take the bus rather than the train. Train travel is probably my favourite type of travel though so if I had to pick one for all three it would obviously be train, as it is the most efficient for my needs.

I don't want to debate my views really, because my answers are all there with reasoning, but I agree that it is interesting to compare with other ideas.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 04:48   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Politics -This should make interesting reading?

Can I offer a slight correction to your post blazey?

WWII was not started because of economic competition between countries, what you refer to as states.

It was started because Hitler had Napoleonic aspirations of conquering Europe and his first conquest after Austria was Poland. We had a treaty with Poland that should the country be attacked we would go to Poland’s aid.

When Hitler ignored our demand to withdraw from Poland we declared war on Germany.

If it hadn’t been for that treaty with Poland there would have been a good chance of us not getting involved in yet another European squabble. Hitler had no plans for invading Great Britain and would have left us alone.
Old 15-06-2008, 05:11   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Can I offer a slight correction to your post blazey?

WWII was not started because of economic competition between countries, what you refer to as states.

It was started because Hitler had Napoleonic aspirations of conquering Europe and his first conquest after Austria was Poland. We had a treaty with Poland that should the country be attacked we would go to Poland’s aid.

When Hitler ignored our demand to withdraw from Poland we declared war on Germany.

If it hadn’t been for that treaty with Poland there would have been a good chance of us not getting involved in yet another European squabble. Hitler had no plans for invading Great Britain and would have left us alone.
OK well I will accept your view, but according to my EU law text book it was pushed forward because of the reasons I stated, though of course the idea to unify Europe was toyed with long before WWII by people such as William Penn in the 17th Century.

Whether you agree with that view or not, it is still a suggested reason by academics and a very valid one in my opinion. WE didn't go to war because of those reasons, but generally it is accepted that there was economic strains between the countries which led to Hitler's ideology and governance in the first place. Had there been no economic problems, perhaps things may have been different.

I do not question the chauvinism, as that is also another element which is mentioned in academia, but it wasn't the element that I personally see as the reason for staying within the EU now in this present day.
Old 15-06-2008, 09:01   #10
Resting in Peace

1 No
2 Out
3 No
4 Any Tory
5 Fly, Drive and Swim (if I cold)
6 Car
Old 15-06-2008, 09:27   #11
JFT96

1. Not in the slightest

2. Out, we signed up to a common market, not a united stated of Europe

3. Town Council, No. County Council, yes.

4. Not going there

5. right.... As I am responsible for tonnes of co2 every day, being that I fly at 40,000 feet taking people on holiday, you could say that I am a bit of a skeptic or is it heretic . So fly, no other choice really. and sod the carbon footprint

6. London, Plane, BA if you book early its £80 return to Heathrow. Train last time I tried it was a lot more than that, and car well that's just a nightmare and there is no way I am sitting on a bus for 7 hours. Blackpool and the Lakes, take my car thankyou

Bonnyboy, the bit about dipped headlamps is a safety issue, it is proven to save lives, has done for years in Sweden, thats why Volvo's and Saab's have dim dip lights, the Swedes also cane up with the high level brake light.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 15-06-2008 at 09:32.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 13:08   #12
God Member

The UK has always been known as a 'trouble maker' in the EU for its reluctance to actually bend to the pressures of the other states, and we've kept out of the EU to date without feeling the need to give in, and there aren't signs of either party giving in to it at the moment...
Old 15-06-2008, 14:47   #13
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
OK well I will accept your view, but according to my EU law text book it was pushed forward because of the reasons I stated, though of course the idea to unify Europe was toyed with long before WWII by people such as William Penn in the 17th Century.

Whether you agree with that view or not, it is still a suggested reason by academics and a very valid one in my opinion. WE didn't go to war because of those reasons, but generally it is accepted that there was economic strains between the countries which led to Hitler's ideology and governance in the first place. Had there been no economic problems, perhaps things may have been different.

I do not question the chauvinism, as that is also another element which is mentioned in academia, but it wasn't the element that I personally see as the reason for staying within the EU now in this present day.
Methinks that someone has been trying to re-write history to try and put Germany in a better light. Go and read the REAL history of Germany.

When Hitler became Chancellor in 1933 Germany was in an economic mess, with inflation running riot at several thousand percent PER DAY. One Million Mark notes were the norm and stamps of the day showed several million marks. Workers would demand their wages two or three times a day because by the time they got the money to the few shops that had something to sell the value had dropped drastically. Some businesses had to eventually resort to offering the goods that they made to their workers rather than actual cash wages.

Hitler turned things around and after becoming the Führer in 1934 set about realising his dream of dominating Europe and expanding the Aryan race. WWII was about grabbing land for the Fatherland and absolutely nothing to do with economic competition between European countries.
Old 15-06-2008, 15:03   #14
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
2. (EU Debate) In or Out? Why?
3. (Local Politics) Would you change the party of choice if given the chance?
4. (National Politics) can you say that you like this particular politician. Who and why?
5. (Transport and Carbon Footprint) On your next holiday, what would be your choice. Fly - Drive - Swim?
6. (Public Transport) What would be your choice of transport on your next trip to London, Blackpool or the Lakes?
Long list, I agree but seems to be the topics in focus at the moment.
Let's put the world to rights......There could be a lurking politician in our mid'st taking this on board?
1. Not at all. David Davies was right to do what he did.

2. Out. I don’t like the idea of being ruled by un-elected bureaucrats. Even if there was an elected Parliament, bigger is not necessarily better and it will take generations to get each current country to work in unison. France is a classic example of doing what it wants regardless of what the un-elected bureaucrats decree.

3. I would rather vote for a person rather than a political party.

4. My MP is Janet Anderson who is a waste of time.

5. I would use whatever form of transport is right for me, regardless of any ‘carbon footprint’. However that point is academic as the chances of me having an away from home holiday is less than nil. In any case every one of my days is a holiday.

6. See 5 above.
Old 15-06-2008, 15:21   #15
God Member

Sorry JB, I'm trying to focus on EVERY country in the EU and ALL possibilities that could happen in the future, not the past. Economic unity avoids many problems and I think it is worthwhile that we stay within that, with or without the Euro. I am not concerned with WWII, I studied history at A level, it bored me and didn't even go into this topic, no political interest whatsoever on an international level, so I am just going of what I have learned from EU law, and they don't bother going into hitler and what he did, because the law doesn't concern individuals, it concerns all.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..