Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Is the name change from Hyndburn to Accrington & District worth the expense?
Yes, hang the cost let's get changing! 16 48.48%
No, leave well alone and use the money for something more useful. 17 51.52%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 17:37   #1
Resident Waffler

Poll : Hyndburn or Accrington & District?

If you've posted in or read this thread then you must have an opinion on the Council's proposed name change and all that it implies.

Peter Britcliffe assures us that it will not cost us any more on our Poll Tax and that £20,000 has been set aside for the purpose.

Do you feel that it is worth the expense?
Are you in favour of the change?
Or do you feel that it won't make a ha'porth of difference and the money would be better spent elsewhere?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2007, 17:40   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Poll : Hyndburn or Accrington & District?

I really would have prefered the poll to have been made public. It would have been interesting to see where the people who were voting for what, actually lived.

Can it be changed?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 17:44   #3
Resident Waffler

Maybe the mods can change it. I should have added too that £20,000 will nowhere near cover the costs.

Old 12-06-2007, 17:49   #4
Give, give, give member

Everyone is entitled to a view, but if someone is sat on a beach in Malibu, and thinks this is a return to the good old pre-1974 days, (it isn't by the way, this isn't the reintoduction of separate urban councils, all power still remains at Scaitcliffe House), and they aren't directly affected, although their views count, it should also be viewed from a different perspective.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 18:07   #5
God Member

Im in Accrington and voted yes. I only use the word "Hyndburn" alongside the words "Greg Pope", usually when people say "Who?"
Old 12-06-2007, 18:09   #6
Resident Waffler

And you are also in favour of the cost then presumably?

Old 12-06-2007, 18:51   #7
God Member

Well it can't be done for nothing and on the scale of things £20,000 isn't that much. Though it does seem like a lot of money for a few road signs
Old 12-06-2007, 19:11   #8
Super Moderator

What kind of poll is it that uses phrases like "use the money for something more useful"? Talk about biased questions! Why not just a simple "yes" or "no"? Don't think you'd get a job with gallup, Willow!

And, Gary, what's all this about those who don't live in the area having their opinions "viewed from a different perspective"? Are we now going to have a situation on Accyweb where, whenever local issues are discussed, those who live outside the area will be made to feel that their opinions are somehow of less value? Sounds suspiciously like apartheid to me!
Old 12-06-2007, 19:14   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

As well as yes or no you need a change the name to something else instead option
Old 12-06-2007, 21:22   #10
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Well it can't be done for nothing and on the scale of things £20,000 isn't that much. Though it does seem like a lot of money for a few road signs

I agree Cyfr £20,000 does not sound like much in the ultimate scheme of things but do you seriously believe that ALL of the rebranding can be done for a mere £20,000? Ah to be so young and gullible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
What kind of poll is it that uses phrases like "use the money for something more useful"? Talk about biased questions! Why not just a simple "yes" or "no"? Don't think you'd get a job with gallup, Willow!
I'm not after a job with gallup and the wording was intended to be a little tongue in cheek as anyone who has read my comments on the other thread will know that I think the money would be better directed where needed.

I thought I'd bring out that point though as I very much doubt that the council has offered any serious financial information apart from the ludicrously paltry figure of £20,000 which has been set aside before asking people if they fancy a name change. Perhaps if people realised the full impact not only on the council signs, lables, vehicles, stationery, buildings, etc but also the knock-on effect on others it may give them cause to rethink.

Old 12-06-2007, 21:27   #11
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
As well as yes or no you need a change the name to something else instead option
Change it or not change it - how can there be an alternative? It's not the name "Accrington and District" itself I'm objecting to it's the actual kerfuffle and cost of rebranding something unnecessarily, whatever they call it.

Whatever they wanted to call it I would still object on grounds of it being a waste of money..

Old 12-06-2007, 21:51   #12
Resident Waffler

Oooh now I'm beginning to regret not making it an open poll so we know who voted for what.

Old 12-06-2007, 21:53   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Oooh now I'm beginning to regret not making it an open poll so we know who voted for what.
i voted to change it, so you know that much willow,
Old 12-06-2007, 21:55   #14
Resident Waffler

Thanks Cashman. Doesn't the possible cost worry you though?

Old 12-06-2007, 21:55   #15

i don,t see any point in changing it. complete waste of money and i bet you the poll tax raises next year to compensate the over spending! load of bo****ks!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..