Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2010, 07:13   #1

Pontins

Must be in a double dip recession now. Just heard on the news that Pontins have gone into administration. Hope it doesn't go bust.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2010, 09:38   #2
God Member

Re: Pontins

the recession never went away if over 2 million people on the dole is acceptable our country is dead
Old 13-11-2010, 09:52   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
the recession never went away if over 2 million people on the dole is acceptable our country is dead
Well it hasn't become dead over the last few months whats the reason then, care to spell it out
Old 13-11-2010, 10:58   #4
God Member

Nowt to do with the recession, rank bad management & greed. Pontins used to be a good place to go, it's nothing but a dive now
Old 13-11-2010, 11:42   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley
our country is dead
Which country? I thought the Jocks were always bragging about how much better things are up there.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 14:16   #6
Resting in Peace

Pontins have been going downhill for years at one time they had 30 camps throughout Britain now they have just five, I only ever went to two, Southend, the last weekend it was open in 1982 there was a pool tournament and I went to the one at Morecambe on three occasions for a week all three for national pool tournaments. they were very good really in fact the one at Morecambe, the food was excellent
Old 13-11-2010, 18:09   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Nowt to do with the recession, rank bad management & greed. Pontins used to be a good place to go, it's nothing but a dive now
Have to disagree dave, its the only holiday we ever cut short n came home 3 days early n that was mid 70s at blackpool one.
Old 14-11-2010, 07:48   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Have to disagree dave, its the only holiday we ever cut short n came home 3 days early n that was mid 70s at blackpool one.
Were the Police onto you so you had to do one
Old 14-11-2010, 08:13   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Were the Police onto you so you had to do one
nope, the children s play park was locked up all the time, tis me habit on hol to have n early walk n get a paper n coffee, used to walk fer em n the the breakfast cafe pontins were using was one of the BARS from night before, stunk to high heavan, ashtrays full, part drinks etc hadn't been cleaned up at that point n being used fer breakfast snacks n brews etc,we had took the mum in law with us n she was more disgusted than us, am amazed its lasted this long.
Old 14-11-2010, 09:05   #10
Resting in Peace

I actually think that in the holiday camp prime time the sixties and seventies Pontins ran a poor second to Butlins, I went to Filey twice in the early sixties and it was great for teenagers Pontins seemed more family orientated
Old 14-11-2010, 09:12   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I actually think that in the holiday camp prime time the sixties and seventies Pontins ran a poor second to Butlins, I went to Filey twice in the early sixties and it was great for teenagers Pontins seemed more family orientated
we went butlins the year after n it was great fer the kids,n returned fer a few years, was far superior to pontins n though not perfect a damn sight cleaner.
Old 14-11-2010, 09:24   #12
Resting in Peace

First went to the Morecambe one in 59/60.I don't think it was a Pontins then the name Morecambe Bay Holiday Camp springs to mind but I was only 8/9 years old then so I could be wrong.(never)

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 09:29   #13
white rabbits

Blackpool Pontins has been closed for ages,,,,,
,I remember a couple of good holidays at Pakefield,,,
Old 14-11-2010, 12:23   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
First went to the Morecambe one in 59/60.I don't think it was a Pontins then the name Morecambe Bay Holiday Camp springs to mind but I was only 8/9 years old then so I could be wrong.(never)
That was Middleton Towers Holiday camp - not part of Pontins - It was owned by a japanese chap. I went at the age of ten.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 18:09   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
That was Middleton Towers Holiday camp - not part of Pontins - It was owned by a japanese chap. I went at the age of ten.
You may well be right but if you want me as you're toy boy you must learn you're place.

If it helps with the year Cliff and the Shadows ( Drifters) kept on singing Living Doll While I was attempting to break my neck roller skating.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..