Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 10:19   #1

Post poppie day

ROYAL staff are furious over an amazing ban on poppies at full state banquets at Buckingham Palace.

Flunkies were ordered not to wear the flower in remembrance of Britain’s war dead at a bash for foreign diplomats. Some claim Foreign Office officials warned they could be FIRED if they did.
Staff said they were told the poignant symbol might offend ambassadors at last Thursday’s dinner — hosted by the Queen.
Even police were told to leave their poppies at home for the annual event, attended by more than 300 guests.
One household source claimed the Foreign Office gave the order.
He said: “They told the Palace that wearing poppies could offend the ambassadors, which is farcical.
“And as the Foreign Office are in charge, we have to listen.
“Staff are disgusted. It’s a total insult to our veterans and soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice.”
Several household staff are threatening a revolt over the ban.
The source added: “The Royals are huge supporters of the Poppy Appeal and there is a big box of poppies in the staff room for us to wear.
“I’m sure the Duke of Edinburgh or Prince Harry would have been furious at this.”
Thursday’s bash was for new ambassadors and high commissioners working in London.
A Palace spokesman said poppies were ruled out by protocol. He said: “Historically you do not wear poppies with full state ceremonial evening dress.”
pam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2008, 10:22   #2
K-P

Re: poppie day

A story made up of no apparent facts and appears in the sun newspaper.

I wonder...................
Old 09-11-2008, 12:34   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-P View Post
A story made up of no apparent facts and appears in the sun newspaper.

I wonder...................
You mean your questioning the Sun K-P
Old 09-11-2008, 12:50   #4
Give, give, give member

The facts are that Palace staff weren't allowed to wear poppies, for fear of offending the Ambassadors at this function.

Disgraceful.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:55   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

whilst much of what the press print is tripe, i do not imagine that this is bull, makes me puke, n just as bad are people that jump on the tripehounds, when summat is so obvious.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:58   #6
white rabbits

so does that mean all the young men and women who died for their country were also offensive...
THIS P.C. BRIGADE ,MAKES YOU SICK
Old 10-11-2008, 09:36   #7

I thought and was told by parents etc, that two world wars were fought so that we could have freedom and the right to make our own decisions.
Seems we were told another lie and we are still under a dictatorship.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 13:59   #8

Rather funny that this topic cropped up. I was waiting in my car for the wife ho was in the supermarket. Feeling a bit bored I decided to have a little compeition with myself. I would count all the people wearing a Poppy and see how many the total would be by the time my wife arrived .Twenty minutes later out she came and my total of Poppies was ONE. I was utterly disgusted.Have we all fogotten our heroes already?
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 15:58   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: poppie day

If all you pro royals ever needed an excuse to change your mind and opting to dump the royalty then this incident has to be it.

I had very little respect for them anyway but what there was has gone.

I read on Ceefax or maybe it was on Teletext today that some supermarkets are banishing the poppy collectors to the car park rather than just inside the building entrance. Fortunately Asda at Grimshaw Park is not one of them.

Also on the letters pages was a letter questioning why the servicemen/women past and present were at the back of the queue of those laying wreaths and paying their respects to fallen comrades. They should be the first.
Old 10-11-2008, 16:27   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Also on the letters pages was a letter questioning why the servicemen/women past and present were at the back of the queue of those laying wreaths and paying their respects to fallen comrades. They should be the first.
The head of state should always be first, if for no other reason than to pay respects on behalf of the nation.
Old 10-11-2008, 18:13   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
If all you pro royals ever needed an excuse to change your mind and opting to dump the royalty then this incident has to be it.

I had very little respect for them anyway but what there was has gone.

I read on Ceefax or maybe it was on Teletext today that some supermarkets are banishing the poppy collectors to the car park rather than just inside the building entrance. Fortunately Asda at Grimshaw Park is not one of them.

It was the Foreign Office who imposed the ban at this function, if you care to read the facts.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:17   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: poppie day

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The head of state should always be first, if for no other reason than to pay respects on behalf of the nation.
Only if the head of state was first into battle.

We, the nation, are quite capable of paying our own respects and don’t need a parasite to do it for us.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:54   #13

They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old.Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them. I learned these words at school and now when I am old I will not forget them
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:14   #14

Quote:
Only if the head of state was first into battle.

We, the nation, are quite capable of paying our own respects and don’t need a parasite to do it for us.
Quote:
"I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." - From the queen's first televised Christmas address, 1957.
When I was growing up I was indifferent about the monarchy, and expected to become more like my Dad, who shares your views. As we progressively lose our identity as a nation, however, I see the monarchy as one of those last bastions of Britishness. I'm not as unhappy about my contribution to the civil list through tax as I am about my contribution to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:27   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

My own tribute to my dad at http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/last.html

The Last Post is played by Steven Fletcher (Ex Royal Artillery Band)

My poppy field back garden is also a tribute to all who have fallen so that I could make this post. Sadly most poppies have flowered and died off but this morning there were still a handful in flower.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..