Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2013, 15:35   #1
God Member

Power Cut

We have just had a 35 minute power cut - allegedly (per their helpline) 'affecting the Accrington area'.

The telephone automated response said 'due to damage to our equipment'.

That could be cable theft or could be due to the two Xclass solar flares we have had in recent days,

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids
"POSSIBLE CME IMPACT ON MAY 17: A coronal mass ejection (CME) hurled into space by the X1-flare of May 15th might deliver a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field on May 17th. NOAA forecasters estimate a 40% chance of polar geomagnetic storms when the cloud arrives. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras. Aurora alerts: text, voice.

X-FLARE THREAT CONTINUES: Sunspot AR1748 has already unleashed four X-class solar flares, but it might not be finished. The active region continues to grow beneath a delta-class magnetic field that harbors energy for powerful eruptions. NOAA puts the odds of another X-flare today at 60%. "

The two flares were recorded as shown on the thumbnail below.

I must admit it caught me unawares. I now have the emergency electricity number recorded where I can easily see it (whereas the phone book needs a magnifier to see it).

So know where your candles and torches are and ensure they can be reached in the dark.

http://www.zdnet.com/solar-storms-to...13-7000009197/
Attached Images
File Type: gif Xray.gif (11.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by MargaretR; 16-05-2013 at 15:45.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-05-2013, 15:51   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Power Cut

As usual for you mags, one heck of a jump in logic.
Power supply,
Gone,
Can't just be old age of the equipment or even neglect,
It obviously has to be an interstellar disaster.
I dropped a glass last night, the pub I'd nicked it from claimed it was toughened.
It still shattered, but into different sized pieces from that of an ordinary glass.!
OMG could it be that it should have been left on the shelf at the pub and the aliens have started their revenge against me?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 15:59   #3
God Member

Re: Power Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Power supply,
Gone,
I dropped a glass last night, the pub I'd nicked it from claimed it was toughened.
It still shattered, but into different sized pieces from that of an ordinary glass.!
OMG could it be that it should have been left on the shelf at the pub and the aliens have started their revenge against me?
You obviously weren't a boy scout

I don't believe that people should be 'kept in the dark' about the possibility it could happen. Being prepared = no panic IF it happens.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 16:29   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
You obviously weren't a boy scout

I don't believe that people should be 'kept in the dark' about the possibility it could happen. Being prepared = no panic IF it happens.
Yeah, Right.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 17:14   #5
Resting in Peace

Ya caught me by surprise too Margaret, but at least I know I can do a quick swap from machine oxygen to medical oxygen without problems and have made sure its okay during the night too
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 17:25   #6
God Member

best not weigh this copper in a few days

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 18:03   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Didn't affect our area?
Old 16-05-2013, 18:07   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Didn't affect our area?
Think it was just the top end of Ossy Cashy
Old 16-05-2013, 19:22   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Power supply,
Gone,
Are you seriously suggesting that simple explanations are often correct Is it not more likely that aliens are manipulating solar flares so that they target the power grid in Accrington?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 22:12   #10
God Member

Hey, we had one too ... this is getting serious; first Accrington, then Kingston And they are trying to tell us that it was a faulty cable

Kingston Hydro
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 22:18   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

All i can say is aliens must like me.
Old 16-05-2013, 23:21   #12
God Member

a serious technical fault was discovered in oswaldtwistles power management system

apparantly the hamster fell asleep at the wheel

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 06:20   #13
Senior Member+

There was a power cut early in the week in Baxenden, according to our microwave it lasted something like 5 hours during the night.
Perhaps that was solar flares as well?
However, one must look at electrical equipment in general - switches burn out, kettles, cookers, showers and even light bulbs and batteries fail at some stage.
If you are concerned that it is solar activity then it seems obvious to revert back to oil lamps, primus stoves and candles - or even rush lights.
Old 17-05-2013, 07:58   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
All i can say is aliens must like me.
Like you, I thought you were one
Old 17-05-2013, 07:59   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
There was a power cut early in the week in Baxenden, according to our microwave it lasted something like 5 hours during the night.
Perhaps that was solar flares as well?
However, one must look at electrical equipment in general - switches burn out, kettles, cookers, showers and even light bulbs and batteries fail at some stage.
If you are concerned that it is solar activity then it seems obvious to revert back to oil lamps, primus stoves and candles - or even rush lights.
For Gods sake Barrie don't put ideas in Margaret's head

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..