Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2008, 15:26   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Pre-fabs for all?

After WWII there was a serious housing shortage and the government of the day’s solution was pre-fabs. OK! They weren’t very good (although some pre-fabs still stand occupied today) but today’s technology and building materials are far superior and could produce quality dwelling places at low cost to buy or rent.

A programme not so long ago showed how the pre-fab is making a come back in the states. An estate sized plot of land was acquired and the pre-fab factory was built in the middle. Foundations, utility services and roads were laid out and as each house was built in the factory it was then transported to its place in the estate to await occupation. If memory serves me well 2 dwellings per day were produced. Once the estate was completed the factory was dismantled and transported to a new site to start all over again.

Would it work in the UK?

I think that it might if the will was there and greed took a back seat.

At least it is worth exploring.
Old 23-04-2008, 15:31   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Pre-fabs for all?

It's also very popular in Germany.

The only down side in the U.K. is the cost of the land to put them on.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 16:25   #3
Resting in Peace

One of the finest exponents of the pre-fab buildings was Premier Constrution, Blackburn, although they didn't do houses their systems could have been easily adapted for housing, their consept was build quick build um good
Old 23-04-2008, 16:38   #4
Resting in Peace

Have no facts on this, but in a discussion this week, someone staed that more and more wooden houses (a superior log cabin type-thing) are becoming more popular ? Sorry, can't elaborate. They don't come cheap though.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 16:45   #5
God Member

were`nt ikea selling the ready built wooden type houses?
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 16:50   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
were`nt ikea selling the ready built wooden type houses?
You winding me up Pipinfort ? Sounds feasible though ..
Old 23-04-2008, 16:51   #7
God Member

Ikea launches flatpack houses in Britain | Society | guardian.co.uk

Its not like me to wind anybody up...........!lol

Last edited by pipinfort; 23-04-2008 at 16:55.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 16:57   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Ikea launches flatpack houses in Britain | Society | guardian.co.uk

I most certainly am not winding you up....!lol

My Goodness ... D.I.Y. at its height, eh ? As Garinda points out though, suppose you would have to have the land first.

Watcha' think of that Jambutty ?
Old 23-04-2008, 17:04   #9
Senior Member+

Would the flat pack houses also come with "spare parts" that remain after it is built by a bloke??
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 19:49   #10
Passed away 25-11-09

When we lived in Rutland, 1962-64, a girl I worked with (in Melton Mowbray) was getting married and her future in-laws bought them a "flatpack" wooden house. It had to be imported from Sweden and was put together by a builder. When finished it was a very attractive 3 bedroomed house, not a bungalow, and the rooms were a good size. Apparently if they wanted to enlarge the house they just had to order the extra bit and add it on.

I don't know if IKEA sell them but I wouldn't be surprised. The only trouble is I can imagine getting it all put together then finding the last 3 screws, that hold the roof on, are missing.
Old 23-04-2008, 20:07   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Pre-fabs for all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's also very popular in Germany.

The only down side in the U.K. is the cost of the land to put them on.
The answer to that is simple. Force the current aristocratic land owners to give the land back to we peasants. After all it used to belong to our ancestors until the kings and queens stole it from them and gave it to their knights and lords etc.
Old 23-04-2008, 20:14   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Pre-fabs for all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
My Goodness ... D.I.Y. at its height, eh ? As Garinda points out though, suppose you would have to have the land first.

Watcha' think of that Jambutty ?
Great idea. But with modern materials you wouldn’t even need to use wood.

My back fence was replaced the other day with what looks like and feels like some form of plastic. Each plank was heavier than its wooden counterpart and just as rigid. If they can do that for fencing they can do the same for house walls.

Plastic doesn’t rot so it will outlast me even if I live to be a hundred.

They might even be able to use all the disposable plastic that is filling the landfill sites and thus solve two problems at the same time.

It’s all a question of “if there is a will”.
Old 23-04-2008, 20:21   #13
God Member

seem to remember that the post war pre-fabs were constructed out of a cement asbestos mix , wonder if there were any health hazards to the folks who lived in them or the folks who later dismantled them.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 21:03   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just a little wander, but are the Pre-Fabs at Rose Grove still standing? had a mate late 60s that used to live in em, know they were still standing mid 70s. also was some in the Elephant @ Castle area of london late 80s.
Old 23-04-2008, 21:10   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just a little wander, but are the Pre-Fabs at Rose Grove still standing? had a mate late 60s that used to live in em, know they were still standing mid 70s. also was some in the Elephant @ Castle area of london late 80s.

Pre fabs at rose grove?? are they the ones at the back of the unity?
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote

« Town Center | meet »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..