Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 19:33   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Professionals fast tracked into teaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Think this course will be extremely arduous too Margaret, and linked with heavy interviews to syphon out the potential students to qualify for these courses. More so, I suspect, from graduate > teaching training.
ya seem to have more faith in this cretinous government than most.
Old 10-03-2009, 19:43   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ya seem to have more faith in this cretinous government than most.
Can't believe you said that.

As a young soldier I was sent on active service after 6 months training, after that it was learn as you go on.
6 months training is better than throwing them in at the deep end straight from Uni or College?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 19:46   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Can't believe you said that.
thats cos i say it as i see it. if i think they are right i say so, if not then cashys coming.
Old 10-03-2009, 20:09   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
thats cos i say it as i see it. if i think they are right i say so, if not then cashys coming.
Never any grey areas with you Cashy. Just out and out criticism before we know all the facts.

We don't really know what is involved here as yet, all we know is that education is short of people like mathematicians, and these people are on the redundent heap, and have the best brains in the country. If there is any hope that we can pursuade them to pass on their knowledge to our future generations, then I am all for it.

I think worth a try at least. Nothing to do with the my feelings towards this Government ... just think worth a go.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 20:26   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

my critisim stems from the fact, to me theres plenty of good teachers as well as the chaff, that have undertaken much longer training than 6 months, that to me undermimes their efforts.
Old 10-03-2009, 21:09   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
my critisim stems from the fact, to me theres plenty of good teachers as well as the chaff, that have undertaken much longer training than 6 months, that to me undermimes their efforts.
Aah, but did it need longer than 6 months ? Used to be 2 years in our day Cashy ... but then they had to add extra knowledge to their chosen subject, which took up most of their time. These people will have the knowledge, just training in social, streamlining their subject, disciplinary and presentation matters. If they have got it .. they will make it, and will make just as good a teacher as the 'just out from college trained teachers'.
Old 10-03-2009, 21:19   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Disagree, fer me Character plus proper training makes a good teacher, not anyone will do, just cos theve been thrown on the dole.
Old 10-03-2009, 21:24   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Disagree, fer me Character plus proper training makes a good teacher, not anyone will do, just cos theve been thrown on the dole.
Like I said, I do not think they will take on people who are 'anyone'
Old 10-03-2009, 21:28   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Like I said, I do not think they will take on people who are 'anyone'
from the white collar brigade,yer joking, owt to improve the employment figures,
Old 10-03-2009, 21:34   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
from the white collar brigade,yer joking, owt to improve the employment figures,
Don't see it that way, making use of people's skills/knowledge in an area where there is a defecit.
Old 10-03-2009, 21:36   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Don't see it that way, making use of people's skills/knowledge in an area where there is a defecit.
perhaps its cos ya aint had much experience of the political "Big Guns"? cos if ya had ya would be as cynical as me.
Old 10-03-2009, 21:41   #27
God Member

Quote:
Getting people into jobs educted to gradute standard or not can't be a bad thing surely?

Old 10-03-2009, 21:47   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Getting people into jobs educted to gradute standard or not can't be a bad thing surely?
These people will already hold degrees and Masters. Just chose to go out into the business world with their qualifications. Sorry Royboy, are you agreeing with me ?
Old 10-03-2009, 21:53   #29
God Member

Quote:
These people will already hold degrees and Masters. Just chose to go out into the business world with their qualifications. Sorry Royboy, are you agreeing with me ?
Not many 'jobs for the boys' left....I will say yes to agreeing with you...not everyone who you consider daft, slaver.

Old 10-03-2009, 23:38   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't see any particular reason why this could not work myself, after all, as pointed out imparting knowledge to others is a talent and an art.

With the 1 year training at the moment, whose to say these present students are ever going to 'grasp' it at the end of the day. No amount of training can bring this out in some people.

Many of these candidates will probably have some knowledge of training people in their work situation.
I sort of agree.

You're just as likely to find a good, or bad teacher for that matter, as a result of recruiting this way because the recession.

At least these people will be able to pass on something of what it's actually like in the real big bad world, rather than some dopey kid whose done a years post-grad teaching course, after doing a degree in me-dya studies at the University of Bognor.

Good teachers are so important. They can either scar you, or impart a love of a subject for life.

Wherever they recruit them from, I just hope they manage to find the ones who are going to be good at it, rather than attracting those who may see it as just a stop gap job until they can return to a more cushy job in Civvy Street, once things begin to pick up in the City.

My only hope is that no directors of any newly part privatised banks are given jobs this way. Most of whom seem to have lacked even the most basic academic qualifications you'd need to be a bank teller, never mind run one...into the ground.

Last edited by garinda; 10-03-2009 at 23:42.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..