Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2005, 08:37   #31
God Member

Re: Project Lame Duck

The grand plan is sell the land to a private developer and make wads of cash locals wont see.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-12-2005, 16:42   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Personally I think the rebuild new is a better option. There are several areas of Accrington that I think should be pulled down and redeveloped.
Old 05-12-2005, 17:44   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Personally I think the rebuild new is a better option. There are several areas of Accrington that I think should be pulled down and redeveloped.
Why's that neil, some of the residents have lived there for 30 years, own their house so they have no mortgage or loan.

I do not think that wholesale demolition is the answer, if its green spaces you are after, then following the series of aerial photos in this week ends observer, I think you would need to demolish nearly all of accrington.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 18:14   #34
God Member

If the demolition is selective and the properties that are to come down are not economically repairable then fine. Its when they deside that the area would be better green is sold off a few years down the line.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 05-12-2005, 19:00   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
If the demolition is selective and the properties that are to come down are not economically repairable then fine. Its when they deside that the area would be better green is sold off a few years down the line.
The demolition is selective in so much that it identifies the street or streets to be demolished,it would seem that the residents of phase II have managed to get a surveyor to check the properties, his report suggests the buildings are structurally sound. This is why phase II has been put on hold

Albert Einstein.

Old 05-12-2005, 19:15   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Why's that neil,
Nothing to do with green spaces. I did not say it was best for residents. I think it would be better for the town if certain areas were demolished. Come on, there are some pretty horrible areas of Accrington after all. I am not saying that necesarily about the area that they are pulling down but a lot of that area has been looking iffy for a few years now. I also think they should pull down many of these old empty building's we have decaying around the borough. The first area that springs to mind is around the traffic lights at Church, where the Commercial pub has been empty for years, flatten the whole area and regenerate it.
Old 05-12-2005, 19:48   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
The first area that springs to mind is around the traffic lights at Church, where the Commercial pub has been empty for years, flatten the whole area and regenerate it.
"Church Canal Gateway" thats what HBC are calling it, the relative "new" block of council houses that have just been demolished at church, are to make way for a "stand alone" project
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/Your_Co...anal%202_1.pdf

Albert Einstein.

Old 05-12-2005, 19:54   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
I also think they should pull down many of these old empty building's we have decaying around the borough.
Some of these old building, in particular old mills, commercial premises would make good living accommodation, flats, apartments just have a look round and see what other authorities have managed to do in the way of regeneration. All it needs is an Architect with a little vision

Albert Einstein.

Old 05-12-2005, 20:24   #39
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Just knock 'em down
Old 02-03-2006, 13:06   #40
Resting in Peace

just took these pics of Rutland st
i used to live at number 2 which is the first one with the pics of the back of the house
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 rutland.jpg (48.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg back rutland st.jpg (36.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg rutland st.jpg (46.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg rutland st1.jpg (47.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg rutland st3.jpg (46.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg this van is too late.jpg (36.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Mick; 02-03-2006 at 13:16.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 21:35   #41
God Member

I spent my first 5 years in a terraced house and even after we left my grandparents stayed in one. I have happy memories of these kind of houses especially running up and down the coytes. Its a shame to see them go.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 02-03-2006, 22:06   #42
Resident Waffler

They aren't all going Spuggie. A lot of us still live in one. I wonder if the houses they build today will last as long.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 17:08   #43
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
They aren't all going Spuggie. A lot of us still live in one. I wonder if the houses they build today will last as long.
Our house was built in 1908. It is still totally structurally sound, and will last for a very long time to come. Those horrible houses in Church were built very recently in comparison, and they are now coming down. You are absolutely right, Willow - the old terraced houses were built to last, and all they need is some refurbishment. These are people's homes we are talking about, homes they have worked for and cherised over many years, and often struggled to pay for. It's a poor payback, even at £30,000 you don't have to pay back. As for £30,000 you have to pay back, for a house you own, it is nothing less than theft.

I think we should all protest at this. If we don't, what happens when they want OUR houses on some spurious grounds?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 18:08   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Not a chance. Nowadays they are thrown up faster than a teenagers Friday night booze. Eventually they will try and get rid of more on the same grounds and the only ones that wont profit are the people in them.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 03-03-2006, 20:34   #45
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
As for £30,000 you have to pay back, for a house you own, it is nothing less than theft.

I'm still amazed that they are legally able to do this.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..