Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2007, 07:34   #1
Resident Waffler

Pushchairs and Wheelchairs could be banned from bus travel?

Lancashire United bus company have banned some types of baby buggy and wheelchairs from travelling on their buses!

They have even gone so far as to suggest that people purchase new pushchairs or wheelchairs and consult the bus company before buying them.

One mother from Darwen who was refused yesterday (despite the fact that she has travelled the route many times before Lancashire United took over) will now have to fork out for a new Lancashire United approved buggy or she won't be able to take her older child to school!

These particular buses are designed for prams and wheelchairs for crying out loud and it won't be an option for some people to buy another one just so they can travel. Is this discrimination? Should they be allowed to discriminate in this way?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2007, 08:02   #2

Re: Pushchairs and Wheelchairs could be banned from bus travel?

the way i see this is if we arnt aloud on busses with prams then thay should help buy a new pram but what do we do who has a double buggy everything is eithr becoming a crime or its just banned so now a lot of people are going to have to either pay for a taxi or wal wich isnt fair
carl hurles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 08:08   #3

when i get the bus there is always a buggy or wheelchair on.was driver having a bad day or was she trying to get on with a COACH built pram?
Old 22-06-2007, 08:08   #4
Resident Waffler

There's just been a very vociferous spokesman from the Health and Safety wadjamacallums saying that Lancashire United have no right to say that buggies and wheelchairs are not allowed for H&S reasons as they are allowed on the same model of bus run by other companies and he said he would guarantee that if a H&S inspector were to look into it he would find no reason for banning them as they have already passed H&S checks before being sold for the purpose they are used for and the purpose includes travelling on public transport! Ooh he wasn't half having a go at the bus company!

Old 22-06-2007, 08:11   #5
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo69 View Post
when i get the bus there is always a buggy or wheelchair on.was driver having a bad day or was she trying to get on with a COACH built pram?
Yes other companies do allow it but Lancashire United apparently have a policy of not allowing some buggies and wheelchairs. It was a three wheel buggy (not a coachbuilt pram) which other bus companies allow on but LU say they are unstable. The H&S guy says they are not unstable because if they were they wouldn't have been allowed to be sold. LU insist the mother buys a new buggy. H&S bod says she shouldn't have to.

Good innit?

Old 22-06-2007, 08:16   #6

paula radcliff made three wheel buggy populer she use to train with her new born in one they must be very safe she used to run 8 to 10 miles a day pushing one
Old 22-06-2007, 08:21   #7
Resident Waffler

I remember her saying they were more stable when going round a bend that a 4 wheel buggy because with a 4 wheeler sometime two wheels come off the ground if the buggy is heavily laden and then it's only half as stable and can fall over sideways but with a 3 wheeler only one wheel would come off the ground so it's always got two thirds on the ground which is majority on the ground and less likely to fall over. Only she put it a lot better than that.

Old 22-06-2007, 08:28   #8

very right willow very similer words paula used
Old 22-06-2007, 08:52   #9
God Member

Ian thinks about watching the robin reliant racing where they all fitted wheels to the driver and passenger doors becasue they spent just as much time on their sides as they did on their wheels

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 09:21   #10
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
They have even gone so far as to suggest that people purchase new pushchairs or wheelchairs and consult the bus company before buying them.
what a load of B******ks, sorry for my french!
who do they think they are?
does anyone know what type of buggy you should use?
lancashire united have gone to far this time, before it was having a pass to prove your a school kid (even if you had your uniform on), and if ya dont you have to pay full fare!!
now they have come up with this rubbish, for gods sake!!

what next.....kids under 5 having to sit on the floor cuz they dont pay!! well eres to you Lancashire United.............
Old 22-06-2007, 09:38   #11
Resident Waffler

You sound just like that Health & Safety spokesman this morning. I could fairly imagine steam coming out of his ears!

Old 22-06-2007, 09:48   #12

my daughter didnt have a pass when we first moved so i told her to take her passport to prove her age even with her school uniform on they still mayed her pay full fair the driver said it didnt prove anything only a pass could do that
Old 22-06-2007, 09:50   #13
Resident Waffler

Now that is absolutely stupid. Of course the passport proves her age.

Old 22-06-2007, 09:56   #14
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

my daughters always being asked for a pass, because she looks over 14, but she is not, and they look at her as if she is a liar!!
why should i payfor a pass to prove my daughters age??
they should be letting em have them for free, its just another way of L.U making more money!
Old 22-06-2007, 10:41   #15
Senior Member+

This is pathetic. If anyone tried to tell me what pram to buy i'd go mad!!! I live in Ossy but sometimes its actually quicker to walk to town than get the bus. Much healthier too!! lol.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..