Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2005, 15:48   #1
God Member

Put me out of my misery

I've been trying to work out just what is the core flavour of Dr Pepper drink. It tastes familiar but I just can't put my finger on it.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2005, 15:59   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Put me out of my misery

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
I've been trying to work out just what is the core flavour of Dr Pepper drink. It tastes familiar but I just can't put my finger on it.
Perhaps you are approaching the problem from the wrong angle instead of trying to taste it with your finger, if you were to use your tongue? It does after all have alot more taste buds!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 18:29   #3

My other half says real aniseed, my 7 year old says battenburg but I think he means marzipan. while I haven't got a clue cos I don't like it, then again i'm not keen on marzipan
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 18:44   #4
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

dr pepper, must be made from S ***, (sorry for that word, its the only one that i can discribe it with) cuz its disgusting!!!
Old 12-06-2005, 19:24   #5
God Member

WELL !!! entwisi I have had the same conversation many times and have come to the conclusion that it is Coke mixed with vanilla, I could be wrong and I probably am lol!
Old 12-06-2005, 21:39   #6
Beacon of light

Isn't it Cinnamon.....the only reason I say this is because I am allergic to cinnamon and i can't drink Dr Pepper because it gives me the same reaction.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 21:40   #7
Beacon of light

It is a good job I don't like it.......!
Old 12-06-2005, 21:49   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Talking Re: Put me out of my misery

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther
dr pepper, must be made from S ***, (sorry for that word, its the only one that i can discribe it with) cuz its disgusting!!!
glad you described it like that panther,saves me doin it lol
Old 13-06-2005, 08:49   #9
God Member

Cinamon, Possibly, I'll have to try again tonight.

Definately not vanilla and coke as I like Vanilla coke itself(or I did till it looks like they have stopped making it )

Marzipan(Almond) Is alongside Cinamon on the maybe list

Thanks folks, I'll report back when I get to teh bottom of it.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 11:31   #10
God Member

Can't reveal my source as this is supposedly a well guarded secret (oops not anymore!) but have been advised that the blend of spices they use in dr pepper are as follows (there are less than you might think)

Vanillin (imitation vanilla)
Extract of almond
denatured rum (believe it or not)
Oil of orange

so there you go, the colour is derived from a specially manufactured caramel made within the plant

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!

Last edited by harwood red; 13-06-2005 at 11:33.
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 12:25   #11
Senior Member+

i thought it was a bit like cherry coke but a cheap version.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 13:44   #12
Beacon of light

It is still'orrible.
I once bought some Sarsaparilla when I was out in Oz.......it was the vilest stuff I had ever tasted.
The next time I went out there I took them some of the real stuff, just so that they could experience what it should really taste like.
Yeah......now I come to think of it, it did taste a bit like Dr Pepper.......the Oz Sarsaprilla I mean.
Old 13-06-2005, 14:04   #13
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
Can't reveal my source as this is supposedly a well guarded secret (oops not anymore!) but have been advised that the blend of spices they use in dr pepper are as follows (there are less than you might think)

Vanillin (imitation vanilla)
Extract of almond
denatured rum (believe it or not)
Oil of orange

so there you go, the colour is derived from a specially manufactured caramel made within the plant
None of those sound like they would give it that characteristically "pepperness" which make sit different to coke. They are all smooth flavours whereas there's a distinct biting/tickling type of something in there akin to the cinnamon/ginger type of spice. What the heck is "denatured rum" ?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 14:14   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
What the heck is "denatured rum" ?
Possibly the "characteristically "pepperness" which makes it different to coke"???

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 14:18   #15
Resident Waffler

Hmmm, just been doing a bit of surfing and it seems there is a great deal of controversy about the ingredients of Dr. Pepper, with manufacturers insisting that it contains 23 or more fruit flavours and that list being only "some" of the contents. However, what I find interesting is that one of the things used to "denature" alcohol is cinnamon oil. Could this be our answer?

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 13-06-2005 at 17:48. Reason: dust in my keyboard after the re-wiring!
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..