Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2010, 23:48   #1
Senior Member+

Questions to Conservative Candidates

To John Moss

Hi John, wishing you all the best welcome, from Graham Jones

Obviously I am interested in the the things you are and of course, all things Hyndburn. Could you add more detail on your ambitions? My questions are in red, your statements in black?

My main priority for Hyndburn is to use my regeneration experience to help Hyndburn council deliver its ambitious plans for Accrington town centre.
I have said the plans are just another (there have been many) failed plan with no substance. Why do you think they will succeed? Where will the money come from and how will it spent?

to help Hyndburn council deliver its ambitious plans for the rest of the Borough.
I represent Woodnook. The worst housing in Britain? How will you regenerate it? The Council have already stated I am the only person who wants investment in this area and since that blew up at the ballot box with the Tory vote crumbling, they have decided to spend a small amount there? What about regenerating Spring Hill, Church Kirk, Rishton, Gt Harwood, Haslingden how? Seeing how this is all being done by Government borrowing/spending do you advocate that the Government stops spending and if so how will these areas regenerate?

to attract new businesses to the area to strengthen the local economy and create more jobs for local people.
The Conservative Council do not want a business forum. The Labour Party do. The Labour Party have built every jobs site in the Borough. The last great employment site was done by George Slynn/Labour in 1997 - The Globe Centre.

The Tories have opposed them as either Council waste/interference in private sector as they saw it, or development on precious green field sites. Are you saying you approve of Labour stance or are you going to stick with the 'commuter belt, no industry' policy of the local Tories? This is not a trap, it's been debated here previously. It's a choice?

I'd also like to see the area have its own sixth form - two have been set in motion - and see the new swimming pool at Haslingden built - even if it requires higher Council Tax as suggested?-, but recognise that money is tight now we're all paying for Gordon Brown's borrowing binge over the last ten years. Hyndburn Council+Homes has received around £150million to carry out their/The Council's 'ambitious regeneration plans' using 100% funded 'Gordon Brown' money. Add on top the magnificent new college, all the investment in schools, the new hospital at Blackburn and two new Health Centres. Which one/ or all / of these should Gordon Brown have not spent money on? What things you would have scrapped? [/QUOTE]

Last edited by g jones; 27-02-2010 at 23:56.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2010, 00:48   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Questions to Conservative Candidates

To Karen (Buckley)

Hi Karen, welcome to AccyWeb.

Obviously I am interested in the the things you are and of course, all things Hyndburn. Could you add more detail on your ambitions? My questions are in red, your statements in black?

I am fed up with the way this Labour Government has promised much but has delivered so little...
Hyndburn Council+Homes has received around £150million to carry out their/The Council's 'ambitious regeneration plans' using 100% funded 'Gordon Brown' money. Add on top the magnificent new college, all the investment in schools, the new hospital at Blackburn and two new Health Centres, Which one/ or all / of these should Gordon Brown have not spent money on? What things you would have scrapped?

proclaims that it champions the poor but imposes punitive taxes that directly affect those in greatest need,
Working Tax Credits, Nursery Vouchers and credits, Pension Credits and all the elderly financial assistance, tackled agency work, brought in the minumum wage, got rid of 2 year temporary contracts and enhanced parental time off etc.. (long list) which have helped many in this constituency. Could you say which taxes are punitive, who they have affected in Hyndburn, and what you would advocate?

and has the audacity to claim that their budget plans come from a position of strength when we all know that Britain is the last major country to come out of recession.
Do you agree that Britains prosperity has been based for 25 years on 1. Financial Services, 2. Trading nation, 3. Fossil Fuels out at sea? and that our manufacturing base (which would have helped) unlike our European colleagues has been run down by government. Why has Italy gone back in to recession, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Greece+ in real trouble, France's indicators going backwards and Germany's growth stalled whilst Briatin's has grown to 0.3%?

My experience in family law confirms to me that we are living in a broken society. I want our children to have a brighter future – a future under a Conservative Government.
There are 1.9million single parents today. A slight fall from 1998. From 1971 to 1998 the number of single parent familes rocketed, particularly in the 1980's. Local Conservatives are taking some credit for the significant fall in crime, the only government since the war to cut crime. The prisons are full due to tougher sentences, better more efficient policing.In Peel ward, crime has fallen dramatically. In Baxenden last month there were two crimes. What will you do better than Labour?

My first priority will be to hear what residents have to say and to fully appreciate those things that really matter to them – whether it be local concerns such as the provision of good quality housing,
How will you fix good quality housing?

measures to tackle anti-social behaviour,
How will you tackle anti-social behaviour better than what is being done? Do you think Hug a Hoodie is an answer and if so what would you do in Hyndburn to engage young people who hang around?

the attraction of new business to support the local economy
The Conservative Council do not want a business forum. The Labour Party do. The Labour Party have built every jobs site in the Borough. The last great employment site was done by George Slynn/Labour in 1997 - The Globe Centre.

The Tories have opposed them as either Council waste/interference in private sector as they saw it, or development on precious green field sites. Are you saying you approve of Labour stance or are you going to stick with the 'commuter belt, no industry' policy of the local Tories? This is not a trap, it's been debated here previously. It's a choice?

or important national issues such as the recession and increasing national debt,
What is the Conservative Party position on the national debt and banks? What is your position?

climate change,
eg. Do you support the windfarm on Ossy Moor?

the war in Afghanistan
What will you do about the war in Afghanistan. My (would-be) nephew's brother was shot dead in Helmand tansporting a electricity turbine for a dam. His mum says we are right to be there and her son didn't die for nothing. How will you handle that?

or MPs expenses.
How?

I believe my career in family law and my life experience as a hard working mother of two has prepared me well to fight for the people of Hyndburn in their desire for opportunity, security and justice for all. In my practice I meet and represent people of all backgrounds, from the very wealthy to those below the breadline, and many whose lives are torn apart by family breakdown. I have seen at first hand reliance on drink and drugs, teenage pregnancies and dependence on the welfare state
An important issue. Conseervative Policy is to support Landlords rather than tenants, promote the private rented sector over Council housing. Does that provide opportunity and justice? Fylde is 250th most deprived area in Britain, Hyndburn under the Conservatives has slipped back from 58th to 40th poorest heading towards Tower Hamlets. How are you experienced?

I have personal experience of being brought up in a single parent household by my widowed mother; of redundancy when my husband lost his job; and of my son being a victim of an unprovoked assault. Like many others, I have reason to be eternally grateful for the NHS and believe ready and free access to health services is a vital cornerstone for the whole of British society - essential in Hyndburn where health inequalities have worsened under Labour. ('which have deteriorated').
Hyndburn has had a Conservative Council for 10 years. They may not be the NHS but the NHS only get involved by and large when people are ill. Housing, Employment, Planning, Leisure are all under Council control. How will the NHS improve health? Will the others not improve health? Do Governments make people ill?

I support radical reform of the benefits system to enable those who are able to work to find work, for those who are genuinely incapacitated to receive appropriate support, and for those claimants that deliberately abuse the system the right to withhold their payment.
In the 18 years of the last Tory government, the numbers on welfare rose sharply. I agree that welfare reform is required and payments should be withheld. Who will be affected and how will you identify them?

I believe the family is the bedrock of society and I will work hard to change the law to strengthen family life and improve opportunities for all children to excel in education and training regardless of their background.
How? See single parents above. Everyone here, from dedicated school staff to those involved with young people (YPS and Training Providers) are trying, How will improve opportunities?

Losing both parents-in-law to cancer has led me to really appreciate ‘end of life’ care by the NHS and also our fantastic hospice movement. I do not support the legalisation of euthanasia.
What about abortion? What about the embryology bill?

I support tough action on tackling drink or drug induced anti-social behaviour.
what will you do better. Do you agree taking mobile phones off kids will help?

I want to see police freed from the burden of excessive paperwork and out on the streets, and a sentencing policy that restores confidence in the legal system.
Sentences have risen, numbers caught has risen hence a falling crime rate. Prisons are full. What will you do better and where will you put the extra criminals. Boris Johnson is cutting the numbers of London Police. Will you rate cap Police Authorities?

I hold dear the right of freedom of speech, freedom of expression and the rule of Law which I believe Labour has eroded.
How has Labour eroded these? Labour introduced the FOI Act. Recently hauling MI5 into the courts, has increased freedom and protection to minorities, gays, religious groupings. More people are locked up now than ever which would suggest the rule of law is being applied more than ever? Both Lancashire County Council and Hyndburn Council, both Conservative have eroded scrutiny

Last but not least is my own personal priority to be open to scrutiny and readily available to respond to the concerns and criticisms of constituents.
Both Lancashire County Council and Hyndburn Council, both Conservative, have eroded scrutiny to the point that it cannot work and all power is concentrated at the top. Do you approve of these measures?

If selected as your Conservative Prospective Parliamentary Candidate I WILL resign immediately from my job as a lawyer, find local accommodation and work for the constituents of Hyndburn
Why on March the 13th would you pack your job in when the election is likely to be 7 weeks later (may 6) and move to Hyndburn? What purpose would that serve? How will you work for constituents when we have an MP and active Councillors?

Thank you for your answers and your time. Graham

Last edited by g jones; 28-02-2010 at 00:57.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 08:44   #3
Resting in Peace

I will be more than interested to see if you get relies from these two people Graham
Old 28-02-2010, 10:42   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I have just moved several post from this thread to the selection one instead.

I am trying to keep this thread sensible and on topic as I think many of us are interested to see if Graham will get any replies to his very good questions.

Last edited by Neil; 28-02-2010 at 10:44.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 14:57   #5
Senior Member+

Well its looking rather like Sunday Lunch is more important to these two!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 15:42   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Well its looking rather like Sunday Lunch is more important to these two!!

Best Regards - Taggy

To be fair at this stage they are probably more concerned with what they are going to say to the selection committee, rather than someone they might be standing against.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..