Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2005, 15:16   #1
God Member

Racecourse for Accy?

I've just seen the LET site and they are reporting the outline plans of a business consortium to build one of 4 worldwide super racecourses on the Altham/Simonstone border. Well, I know we've had all sorts of conmen and pie-in-the-sky schemes over the years, but I think this one actually makes sense, on the basis that a) East Lancs is about the only centre of high population in the country without a racetrack and b) there is an even larger market within the North-West/ Yorkshire.

I'm impressed by the idea. It certainly blows the Panopticon off the hill. Mind you,the traffic jams on race days should be just as much fun.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-05-2005, 15:19   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Racecourse for Accy?

well i think its summat positive for a change- and i dont GAMBLE.
Old 16-05-2005, 16:48   #3
land of hope and glory

about time too! a day at the races yahoo!!! no need to travel to haydock,york what a brill idea,i think its fantastic for the whole of lancs the money it will bring in along with jobs is brilliant, but then you have the whingers that will oppose it of course and upset the apple cart like the zeri project here is to the consortium and hope it gets off the ground.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2005, 17:10   #4
God Member

Just think of all that manure for the council roses,

I agree it would be a good employment opportunity though!
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2005, 17:47   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
about time too! a day at the races yahoo!!! no need to travel to haydock,york what a brill idea,i think its fantastic for the whole of lancs the money it will bring in along with jobs is brilliant, but then you have the whingers that will oppose it of course and upset the apple cart like the zeri project here is to the consortium and hope it gets off the ground.
Did you mean me staggers? Winge, winge, winge! Actually I've only ever been to one race course meeting ever, but I enjoyed myself Soooo, much. Now, that could bring people into the area, Only Foals and horses could be turned into a training stable, bring it on!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2005, 17:54   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

This was the same post as above accyweb seems to be sulking.

Last edited by Less; 16-05-2005 at 17:58.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2005, 18:03   #7
land of hope and glory

i

i read it the first time less is that peruvian parrot teaching you to much.

read it the first ti

me less is that peruvian p

arrot teaching you to much.
Old 16-05-2005, 20:28   #8
Beacon of light

I think this is a better bet for bringing people to the area.........Stick the Panopticon...!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2005, 20:57   #9
Foreign Correspondent

Sounds like fun to me! Just make sure that they have real ale in the racecourse bars!

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2005, 21:05   #10
Beacon of light

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be silly pipe dream that goes nowhere.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2005, 21:36   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thumbs up Re: Racecourse for Accy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I just hope it doesn't turn out to be silly pipe dream that goes nowhere.
me too,i aint forgot ZERI,this could be great for the area and would definatley bring in more than the panoptican
Old 17-05-2005, 15:31   #12
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Oooh, I love a day at the races and it's ages since I've been. I think the last time was Kempton in about 2000. Hope that it is a serious proposal and not some pie in the sky idea. I can see that it would bring more visitors to the area than a panopticon.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 15:58   #13
God Member

In the mid-nineteenth century, there was a racecourse on what is now the site of Enfield Cricket Club.

I see from the latest information there they are planning on racing 60 days a year. That is far more than practically every other course, possibly with the exception of Newmarket. They may be looking at an all weather track

Yep. I like this idea.
Old 17-05-2005, 16:10   #14
land of hope and glory

when you think about it tealeaf 60 days is not a lot out of 365 days,If they intend to have 3/4 day meetings like ascot,york newmarket etc iit would only cover 8.5 weeks spread throughout the year but it would be good fun !
Old 17-05-2005, 16:18   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
when you think about it tealeaf 60 days is not a lot out of 365 days,If they intend to have 3/4 day meetings like ascot,york newmarket etc iit would only cover 8.5 weeks spread throughout the year but it would be good fun !
Well, 60 days is an average of 5 days a month, which works out a 1 3 day meet a month and then a 4 day meet every 2 months. Or maybe a little night racing. I'm sure Ascot does not meet for more than 60 days....I think its the same with York.

I'm interested in the exact site. Any ideas?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..