Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 18:04   #1
I am Band

Ralph Bailey. R.I.P.

I only found out today that Ralph Bailey, the long serving headmaster of Accrington Grammer School and laterly Moorhead High School passed away on the 2nd of this month. He was headmaster whilst I was at Moorhead.

Here is the obituary notice that I ripped from a local newspaper website:
Ralph Bailey

A POPULAR and respected headteacher has died at the Clitheroe Hospital aged 77.

Accrington-born Mr Ralph Bailey was the last headmaster of the former Accrington Boys’ Grammar School and the first of Moorhead High School when it was formed from a merger of the grammar school and the Girls’ High School in the mid-1970s.
Mr Bailey, of Barrow, near Clitheroe, had spent the last year- and-a-half battling with motor-neurone disease, a degenerative illness which affects the muscles.
After attending Peel Park Primary School and Accrington Boys’ Grammar School, Mr Bailey studied at Cambridge University where he gained a degree in geography.
Following a stint working for ICI he decided teaching was his vocation and went into the profession in the early 1950s.
His first teaching post was at Sutton Coldfield, followed by a job in Stockport before he was appointed head of geography at Stand Grammar School in Whitefield.
In 1967 he became headteacher of Accrington Boys’ Grammar School where he served until it changed to become Moorhead in 1975.
He then remained as headteacher of Moorhead until his retirement in 1984.
This week family, friends and former work colleagues paid tribute to Mr Bailey, describing him as a natural leader who loved the great outdoors.
His son Kenneth, 52, said: “He had a very active life and one of the things he did when he retired was to help blind skiers on holiday trips.
“At the school he also organised an outdoor activity trip to Windermere for Year 9 pupils which was very popular. He was also involved with Clitheroe Golf Club.”
Former colleague Kathleen Jones, who served as Mr Bailey’s deputy, said: “He was a very popular man who loved geography and outdoor activities.
“He was a very lively man to work for and he certainly kept all the staff on their toes. He was also very active and an excellent tennis and badminton player.”
Current Moorhead headteacher Andrew Bateman said: “There are a lot of staff at the school who fondly remember Mr Bailey and a lot of pupils who remember the camps he used to take them on. He was a very dedicated teacher.”
As well as Kenneth, Mr Bailey also leaves daughters Christine, Jacqueline and Susan as well as grandchildren Hamish, Neil, Clare, Callum. Hannah, Harry, Sophie and Lucie. He also leaves a sister Myra who lives in Canada.
Burial will take place at Trinity Methodist Church, Clitheroe, on Tuesday.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-02-2007, 18:11   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Ralph Bailey. R.I.P.

R.I.P. Mr Bailey... I never spent as much time in his office as Sparks did but he was a decent headmaster who, I'm sure will be remembered by ex-pupils of Moorhead and Accrington Grammar alike. Condolensces to the Bailey family.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 18:22   #3
I am Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
R.I.P. Mr Bailey... I never spent as much time in his office as Sparks did but he was a decent headmaster...
Wrong on the first count, but correct about him being a decent headmaster. My presence was never requested for tea and biscuits in Mr Bailey's office, nor during Mrs Jones' term of office. As for the next incumbent, Neville, well that is a whole different story...

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 19:27   #4
Super Moderator

Very sorry to hear that. I spent my last two years at school under his headship and we had many interesting but usually one-sided conversations along the lines of, "Your hair's too long -get it cut." "You were seen in town smoking in school uniform - don't do it again." "That shirt isn't school uniform - don't wear it again." His parting words to me on leaving day were "Mark my words, you'll come to a sticky end." (To be fair, he had very good reason for saying this, although I prefer not to go into details). Fortunately, I proved his prophecy wrong, although I suppose there's still time.

Still, RIP Ralph.
Old 10-02-2007, 22:00   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist View Post
Wrong on the first count, but correct about him being a decent headmaster. My presence was never requested for tea and biscuits in Mr Bailey's office, nor during Mrs Jones' term of office. As for the next incumbent, Neville, well that is a whole different story...
Very true and I am familiar with that senario. Its a pity that there are no headteachers left like him or iron britches.

R.I.P Mr Bailey

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 20:30   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist View Post
Unlike Sparky, I had tea and biscuits with Mr Bailey (only on one occasion) and several visits to Mrs Jones
fortunately for me the cane had just been banned, he was a decent headmaster though, RIP.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 21:39   #7
Super Moderator

So, did Katie Jones take over the headship after Ralph retired? Must admit I wouldn't have fancied a visit to her office - a very formidable lady indeed!
Old 13-02-2007, 06:19   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So, did Katie Jones take over the headship after Ralph retired? Must admit I wouldn't have fancied a visit to her office - a very formidable lady indeed!

Sadley no we got Terry Neville. At least a visit to his office was a lot easier than to Baileys or Jones (had a few visits )

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 13-02-2007, 07:40   #9
Super Moderator

Can't remember Terry Neville; maybe he hadn't started when I was there. He certainly doesn't sound like Ralph or Katie. I would certainly never describe an encounter with either of them as "easy"!
Old 13-02-2007, 08:02   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Can't remember Terry Neville; maybe he hadn't started when I was there. He certainly doesn't sound like Ralph or Katie. I would certainly never describe an encounter with either of them as "easy"!
I had more than my fair share of run ins with Mrs Jones and always came of second best (even when she taught me history). I still maintain that teachers like Mr Bailey and Mrs Jones are needed today more than ever as to the lily livered PC lovering liberals we have now.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 13-02-2007, 08:03   #11
Senior Member+

Ralph Bailey was my headmaster all through my time at Accy grammar/Moorhead(last year only).In those 5 years not once did we exchange words,acknowledgments or a "hows your father".As far as he was concerned,i was'nt there.I don't hold this against him in any way.Lets just say he could get on with his job without any extra hassle from the likes of me.And i could get on with mine.Getting through those 5 years.
Old 13-02-2007, 08:09   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell silver View Post
Ralph Bailey was my headmaster all through my time at Accy grammar/Moorhead(last year only).In those 5 years not once did we exchange words,acknowledgments or a "hows your father".As far as he was concerned,i was'nt there.I don't hold this against him in any way.Lets just say he could get on with his job without any extra hassle from the likes of me.And i could get on with mine.Getting through those 5 years.
Best way because a visit to his office was not for idle chit chat. To think I had the misfortune to see inside his office in both buildings when at Moorhead.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 13-02-2007, 08:18   #13
Senior Member+

Idon't know why but Mr "Pinky" White always dealt with my misdemeanors.Maybe i was'nt Catogary A.
Old 13-02-2007, 08:38   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell silver View Post
Idon't know why but Mr "Pinky" White always dealt with my misdemeanors.Maybe i was'nt Catogary A.
If a music teacher was dealing with em then you were at the bottom end of the alphabet, unlike some of us.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 13-02-2007, 08:47   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
If a music teacher was dealing with em then you were at the bottom end of the alphabet, unlike some of us.
I don't recall Pinky being a music teacher when i was there.Iknow he did maths.He was the deputy head from 71 till 75 when i left.Mrs Jones was there but even she was lower down the chain of command than Pinky or maybe it all changed when it went comp.Only became Moorhead in my last year and then there was no mixed classes & two seperate camps

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..