Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2006, 18:20   #61
God Member

Re: Ramadan Arrests...

It's evident from the reaction in threads like this that there is a huge ammount of tension surrounding the Muslim faith, people are lead by the media to believe that Muslims are attempting to change the world to suit their convenience, which is obviously false.
It was certainly a mistake on the police's part for this information to get to the press, that much is true.
None of us know the reasons for the actions made, so all we can do is see if it makes a difference.

Blackburn Raver, I speak my mind, as do you. You're not anything special, nor am I. How about get back to your own topic and ditch the stupidity? It is only a forum...

Last edited by shakermaker; 23-10-2006 at 18:29.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-10-2006, 18:33   #62
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
It's evident from the reaction in threads like this that there is a huge ammount of tension surrounding the Muslim faith, people are lead by the media to believe that Muslims are attempting to change the world to suit their convenience, which is obviously false.
It was certainly wrong for this information to get to the press, that much is true.
None of us know the reasons for the actions made, so all we can do is see if it makes a difference.
Don't weaken your eloquent stand by resorting to name calling, Jackyalex is entitled to their opinion, as we all are.

I stated earlier that these initiatives aren't brought by Muslims. It's the do gooders, who very often do more harm than actual good.

It is right that this news got into the press. The backlash is a result of the stupid belief that positive discrimination works. It doesn't.

I myself could be included in quite a few minority label boxes, if I so wished. I don't. It's a result of a patronising idea that some people are worse off than others, and conversley that some people are better.

The law, like life, should view everyone as equals. Special dispensations produce feelings of fear, frustration, and anger.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 00:50   #63
God Member

Quote:
I think that's a tad narrowminded, Silvermain.
Seeing as many Muslims in Britain are born in Britain!
I struggle to see how they could 'f off back home'?
theres an old saying in the American south " jus cause the cat had kittens in the oven, it dont make em biscuits "
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 00:55   #64
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
They are not saying that the criminals shouldn't be arrested and I'm pretty sure that if anyone is caught in the act they would be arrested on the spot, in fact, that's what the police have more or less said.

They are just suggesting that arrests aren't made during prayer time and I think that's relatively reasonable - there would also be outrage if the police barged into a mass and arrested someone.
Hasn't it always been the case that a church has been regarded as sanctuary even for a criminal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER

at the end of the day it should be one rule for us all, not one for one and one for another....:engsmil:
And isn't that exactly the case? If Christians are safe from arrest in the middle of a church service or mass (which is for the sake of the sanctity of the surroundings and not to disturb the worship of the rest of the congregation) surely the same should be permitted for muslims so as not to disturb the innocent during their times of devotion?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 05:55   #65
Resting in Peace

Willow I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

Having read this thread very carefully I think that some of the comments haver come about by some mis-reading of whats been posted, and that when someone has made a comment that has gone against the perscived way of thinking then others have jumped in with both feet and no life-belt with which to back paddle and therefore have started to argue instead of LOOKING, READING & UNDERSTANDING what has been posted.

Sorry if I upset anyone but please read more slowly..........
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 06:47   #66

Even read it twice.:engsmil:
Old 24-10-2006, 13:22   #67
Resident Waffler

Quite right Ber999t. Too many misunderstandings arise from people arguing about what they think they've read.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 13:30   #68
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Ramadan Arrests...

Sadly WillowTheWhisp and Ber999T it is a trait that is all too common on forums/message boards in general, not just this one.
Old 24-10-2006, 13:32   #69
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Sadly WillowTheWhisp and Ber999T it is a trait that is all too common on forums/message boards in general, not just this one.
...and life in general.

Old 24-10-2006, 16:46   #70
God Member

notice that the karma taliban is back , hiding behind their burqas
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 21:35   #71
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber999T
Having read this thread very carefully I think that some of the comments haver come about by some mis-reading of whats been posted
I'm sorry but there has been no misunderstanding by mis-reading any of the posts in this thread from me, I just took the opportunity once again to remind you that if you let the muslims take an inch................

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 22:56   #72
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
I'm sorry but there has been no misunderstanding by mis-reading any of the posts in this thread from me, I just took the opportunity once again to remind you that if you let the muslims take an inch................
What?

Are you setting us a cryptic quiz?

Spit it out.

Old 25-10-2006, 20:40   #73
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
It's so not false (true) and while I'm here why do you always blame the media, believe it or not some of us have our own opinion which we have chosen through personal experiences.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2006, 20:53   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
why do you always blame the media, believe it or not some of us have our own opinion which we have chosen through personal experiences.
I don't dispute that, but the media plays a major factor in forming opinions these days. Especially on topics like this.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006, 23:04   #75

Quote:
If this was any other minority no one would care. But because of the stigma afflicted upon the Muslim population of Britain, it is a sudden necessity to make a mountain out of this molehill
well said.

its not difficult being british and a muslim. I follow both laws, in fact in Islam we are told that we should respect the country that we live in and not start bad mouthing it. i have muslim and non muslim friends and on Eid i said Eid mubarak (greetings) to all.
Iinstead of speculating what muslims think, why not just ask one. If you feel uncomfortable approaching one on the street, why not ask me on here. i'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

anyway Eid Mubarak to all. (i'd start a new threat but Eid was last week).
kash is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..