Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2006, 02:23   #1
God Member

re. UK airport security

ok, can someone explain to me why when two days ago I was transiting through Heathrow airport on my way back to the States from a trip to Germany all the security personnel I encountered between termals 2 and 3 with one exception were non-native born Brits, the machine-gun carrying police all seemed native born but the guys operating the scaning machines and doing the "pat-downs' all had accents ,maybe I was being a tad over-sensitive but in this day and age I wonder about all the stuff the British and US Govts are putting out and if they are really serious about the Islamic threat to "our" way of life .....not that any politican would be seen dead on a commercial flight...pardon the pun
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2006, 03:43   #2
Senior Member+

Re: re. UK airport security

there's a long standing joke amongst asians that the reason they built heathrow where they did is so that people coming over would feel just as home with all the nigerians, somalians and asians living neaby

i dont know if u recall when that company went on strike about the foods for british airways they were all asians and it all comes down to one factor

cheap labour. with the large pool of non-skilled workers nearby - the somalians and the asians who have come over in the last 5-10 years are more than happy to work for that minimum wage whilst local people arent.

i dont doubt that the recent threat wasnt real but i do think te govt is gettin bad habits from the usa which has terror threats every other day.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:51   #3
God Member

mani....bit of a sidebar to original topic ...... ...some Americans think that Windsor castle was built near to Heathrow so the royals wouldn't have to travel to far to catch a plane.......true....Doh
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:07   #4
Senior Member+

*L*

well to be honest there is some truth in that... prepare to be bored...

long time ago i cant remember which king ordered that his kingdom be measured out etc and they asked from where shall we measure he went to one of the nearest high mounds and said here - a mound of heathland and the nearest village was heathrow... so geographically back in the day b4 sat nav etc that was what everything was measured into - not sure if that had a part to play when heathrow airport was built...
Old 02-09-2006, 11:29   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack
not that any politican would be seen dead on a commercial flight...pardon the pun
Thankfully all the politicans who recently went over to Germany for the World Cup took commercial flights. Never the less it still cost many, many thousands of pounds, according to recently published expenses.

I don't see what the ethnictisity of the security guards has to do with anything. Hopefully all airport personnel will have been heavily vetted, and let's not forget that one of the recently arrested suspected terrorists was a 'native' Briton, ie: white.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:37   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Thankfully all the politicans who recently went over to Germany for the World Cup took commercial flights. Never the less it still cost many, many thousands of pounds, according to recently published expenses.

I don't see what the ethnictisity of the security guards has to do with anything. Hopefully all airport personnel will have been heavily vetted, and let's not forget that one of the recently arrested suspected terrorists was a 'native' Briton, ie: white.
hopefully nothing, but vetting procedures/ security checks seem to me to leave a lot to be desired,i know its nigh impossible to stop determind people, but can see how it can be un-nerving.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:41   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
hopefully nothing, but vetting procedures/ security checks seem to me to leave a lot to be desired,i know its nigh impossible to stop determind people, but can see how it can be un-nerving.
I totally agree, airport security still leaves a lot to be desired, as can be seen by recent TV exposes. However remarking that security staff aren't 'native' to Britons just fuels fear, and is one of the reasons I started the Trilingual Britain thread.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 13:24   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i ain't racist at all rindy as you probably know- but in all honesty i think the staff in those areas SHOULD be native britons, its not perfect but to me it lessens the odds.and in these times i'm all for that. digressing slightly we had a horrible experiance with such staff in miami- and they were all cuban.
Old 03-09-2006, 16:52   #9

We should conduct security the way El Al does. They profile people.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..