Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2010, 05:56   #1
Senior Member+

Read this without shaking your head in despair!

I challenge anyone to read this next article without wanting to shake your head in disbelief at the depths to which local government has sunk. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, along comes a story that lowers the bar.

ONE-LEGGED SOLDIER IS TURNED DOWN FOR A DISABLED PARKING BADGE

A HERO soldier who lost a leg fighting the Taliban was told he was not injured enough to get a disabled parking badge.

Lance Corporal Johno Lee’s application was turned down three times by council officials.

The 27-year old, whose heart stopped twice following injuries he suffered in Afghanistan, has had more than £800 in parking fines for leaving his car in disabled bays.

Last month he was forced to hand over the money when a council bailiff arrived at his home threatening to take his belongings if he failed to pay. The first time Johno applied for a blue badge, Nottinghamshire County Council told him he was young and might get better.

The stunned soldier said: “What do they expect – my leg to grow back? I told them they didn’t quite understand the situation.”

Johno had served two tours in Iraq with 2nd Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment before deploying to Afghanistan, where his right leg was amputated below the knee after he was blown up in Helmand province in 2008.

He had been in a snatch Land Rover on a patrol around the town of Gereshk when an explosion flipped the vehicle on its side, catapulting him into a minefield.

He ordered his comrades not to rescue him until it was safe, spending two hours in the minefield bleeding profusely while bomb disposal experts cut a path to reach him.

Johno “died” twice, once when his heart stopped on the helicopter taking him to the base at Camp Bastion and again on the operating table, but he was revived each time.

When he returned to his home in Coddington near Newark, Notts, he applied to the county council for a disabled parking badge. To his astonishment his claim was turned down – and so were two further applications.

Johno said: “Sometimes the stump swells so badly I can’t even get the prosthetic leg on. Then I have to use a wheelchair and other days I can’t walk far. I have to park in disabled bays otherwise I can’t get into Newark town centre but then I get a ticket. When I got my first ticket I rolled up my trouser leg and showed the warden my prosthetic leg but he just said ‘Sorry mate, it’s more than my job’s worth’.

“If I live another 60 years am I expected to continue to have to struggle for all of that time?”

All Johno’s applications have been backed by Blesma, the limbless ex-servicemen’s charity. Spokesman Ernie Stables said: “I have never come across a case like this. All the others I know of have been given blue badges.”

Guy Parckar, acting director of policy and campaigns at the charity Leonard Cheshire Disability, said: “For many disabled people, a blue badge is vital. Attention needs to be paid to make sure that people who might struggle to get out and about get the support that they need from the system.”

The Royal British Legion has also offered its support.

Last night Nottinghamshire County Council’s service director Paul McKay promised to carry out a review. He said: “We will urgently assess whether Mr Lee meets the eligibility criteria for a disabled parking badge. We will progress this matter as quickly as possible.”

Don't you sometimes want to weep"!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-08-2010, 06:30   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Read this without shaking your head in despair!

Nottinghamshire Council have shown that peeing on a war memorial is not the only way of insulting the efforts of our armed forces.

What really annoys me about this story is the fact that there were so many chances for the Council to put things right, which were missed. The Council bailiff who called round to the soldier's house should have been straight back onto his employer to warn them of the cock up, but he didn't. Why? Obviously because he was a jumped up jobsworth.

The traffic warden who the soldier showed his stump to should have been straight back onto his employer to warn them of the cock up, but he didn't. Why? Obviously because (by his own admission), he was a jumped up jobsworth.

But worst of all, the service director Paul McKay is guilty of the worst possible act of jobsworthiness. Obviously terrified about covering his back, he couldn't admit to the mistake, but instead comes out with a totally insulting comment. “We will urgently assess whether Mr Lee meets the eligibility criteria for a disabled parking badge."

Absolutely shameful!

And, incidentally, to all the people at Hyndburn wallowing in the Audit Commission assessment of our Council, be aware that the Audit Commission thinks that Nottinghamshire Council "performs well"!

Last edited by gynn; 28-08-2010 at 06:32.
Old 28-08-2010, 06:57   #3
Common Sense Member

Don't worry Gynn, those of us who have eyes in our head realise that the 'Excellent Council' badge has a somewhat hollow ring to it.

That isn't to knock the people who do the actual work, but those select few who have been voted in as the controlling group up at Scaitcliffe House have a long way to go before I consider Hyndburn BC to be anything like 'excellent'.

Perhaps removing the dictatorial element might be a good start.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 07:08   #4

What really highlights the injustice of this case is the large number of relatively fit people who, by deceit & with the connivance of their doctors manage to get blue badges AND free cars under the motability scheme. There are deserving cases but I know several who aren't.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 07:32   #5
Give, give, give member

'Breaking news... The Advertiser understands that hero amputee soldier Lance-corporal Johno Lee has been granted a disability parking badge after a two-year fight.'

Two-year fight for disability parking over for hero soldier | Newark Advertiser

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 08:25   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

That says it all.........a 2 year fight.
Old 28-08-2010, 08:35   #7
Resting in Peace

We should be bending over backwards to help troops injured fighting their country, not put every bloody obstacles in their way
Old 28-08-2010, 09:07   #8
Senior Member+

I really think the Government should step in to that Council and investigate how things reached a point where the bailiffs and traffic wardens didn't immediately report the error to their superiors.
Old 28-08-2010, 09:15   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I really think the Government should step in to that Council and investigate how things reached a point where the bailiffs and traffic wardens didn't immediately report the error to their superiors.
I think, as the rules stand currently, the decision is based on how far you can walk.

As some amputees run marathons, having one leg doesn't automatically qualify you for a blue badge.

Heather Mills took part in the American version of Strictly Come Dancing. So it's doubtful she'd be eligible.

Old 28-08-2010, 09:21   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Heather Mills took part in the American version of Strictly Come Dancing. So it's doubtful she'd be eligible.
You mean she wouldn't have a leg to stand on?
Old 28-08-2010, 09:21   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I think, as the rules stand currently, the decision is based on how far you can walk.

As some amputees run marathons, having one leg doesn't automatically qualify you for a blue badge.

If you can walk 50 yards with the aid of false limbs, as the rules stand you won't get a blue badge, but considering some people who you are using them at super market etc, really makes you wonder
Old 28-08-2010, 09:30   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
If you can walk 50 yards with the aid of false limbs, as the rules stand you won't get a blue badge, but considering some people who you are using them at super market etc, really makes you wonder
In defence of the traffic wardens/baliffs, they were following the letter of the law.

This man parked in designated disabled parking spaces, without the badge that would have entitled him to do so.

As reported, if he sometimes needs the use of a wheelchair, and should have qualified for a blue badge, that is a different matter.

As far as I know traffic wardens aren't medically qualified, and able to diagnose whether someone without the legal right to use a disabled parking space, fulfils the requirements set down in law.

Old 28-08-2010, 09:32   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Not being medically qualified, and not having X-ray vision, I'm always wary of judging whether people are medically entitled to said parking badge.

Old 28-08-2010, 09:57   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Not being medically qualified, and not having X-ray vision, I'm always wary of judging whether people are medically entitled to said parking badge.
G you actually missed my point I was only stating what the law is as I know it not commenting on any one particular case, sorry if It came across wrong
Old 28-08-2010, 11:32   #15

Quote:
The point is that if you ham it up with your GP and the doc who assesses you for disability benefit you can get away with murder. An acqaintance who has a bad ankle was encouraged by the council to apply for disabled living allowance. He did so just to get his 'badge' but ending up getting a free Nissan X-trail to add to his 2 other cars. He is early retired from BT and his wife earns 50 grand a year !!

(Ps. He walks the dog for miles, engages in outdoor pursuits & trains at the gym.)

Last edited by davebtelford; 28-08-2010 at 11:39.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..