Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2007, 23:04   #1
God Member

Record industry says downloads to PC are illegal

ok , everyone knows sales of CDs have slumped over the past couple of years and the recording industry has been going after folks transfering recordings online , now they are saying it is illegal for you to copy your own legally bought CDs to your PC and copying a blank and sharing it with friends , how they are going to manage it I don't know . as the article below mentions folks have been copying records and TV programs for years without any copyright infringement ....be interesting to see what happens

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-12-2007, 23:06   #2
God Member

Re: Record industry says downloads to PC are illegal

sorry link doesn't seem to work , you need to scroll down about halfway to find article
Old 30-12-2007, 23:13   #3
Resident Waffler

So how about putting songs on your MP3 player? Is that going to be illegal? It's getting barmy. Before long you will have to buy a different CD for every individual CD player you own!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 23:13   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think probably the tactics will be to prosecute a couple make sure the media make a song n dance about it, n hope it scares the **** out of the ordinary joe. seems about the best way to attack an impossible problem.
Old 30-12-2007, 23:23   #5
Resident Waffler

But why is transferring your own CDs to PC or MP3 player any different than playing them on a home stereo, a portable CD player and a walkman?

Oh, don't tell me they assume that if you put them on your PC you will be sharing them via P2P.

Old 30-12-2007, 23:26   #6

I wonder how the likes of Sony would fair in a court of law if they pursued a case to prosecute someone who had purchased a Sony label CD, recorded it on Sony hardware and passed on the recordings, on Sony discs/tapes or whatever. Seems a poor way to reward customer loyalty. Why sell us the ability to record, then whine about it. As for any Artist Rights…c’mon, ya wrote a tune, big deal, ya got paid and handsomely at that.
Old 30-12-2007, 23:26   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
But why is transferring your own CDs to PC or MP3 player any different than playing them on a home stereo, a portable CD player and a walkman?

Oh, don't tell me they assume that if you put them on your PC you will be sharing them via P2P.
thats all double dutch to me, bring back the gramaphone HMV.
Old 30-12-2007, 23:30   #8
Resident Waffler

I used to have one of those windy up things with a big horn.

Old 30-12-2007, 23:34   #9

Quote:
I'm sayin nowt
Old 30-12-2007, 23:37   #10
God Member

Quote:
check out the Dansette webpage http://www.dansettes.co.uk/index.htm

Old 30-12-2007, 23:42   #11
Resident Waffler

Crikey, that's taking things to extremes!

Old 31-12-2007, 05:15   #12

Some people Download music that they are not sure about, and would not pay for it,get a liking for the group and decide to buy it,also people still prefer to buy the C.D.for the artwork and songs.thats one reason I think a lot of the old groups are making comebacks, How many young Kids of today would be listening to Led Zeppelin unless there parents still had it in there Album collection. I have discovered a lot of Groups by listening to them on the net
and gone out and bought the C.D.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 06:29   #13
God Member

Quote:
So how about putting songs on your MP3 player? Is that going to be illegal? It's getting barmy. Before long you will have to buy a different CD for every individual CD player you own!
Its called DRM ( Digital Rights Management ) and is one of teh major reasons Vista is being pushed so much. Its built right in there at OS level

The 'song' will allow you to put it on one MP3 player. All this enforced by Vista itself. Want to play a movie back on your home projector? Nope, sorry you might be broadcasting it.

You are all going to find more and more of this stuff getting in the way as people accept the crap that Microsoft give you.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 10:48   #14
Resident Waffler

It's absolutely ridiculous and I think it will do more harm than good. People will just stop buying Microsoft stuff and the whole empire will crumble (she says optimistically)

Old 31-12-2007, 10:52   #15
God Member

I lack the computer knowledge and confidence to take this 'leap into the unknown' by replacing Microsoft Windows
Perhaps some techies could earn a bob or two converting the systems and showing us the ropes.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..