Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2008, 15:13   #1
Senior Member+

religion makes people have happier lives!

A belief in God could lead to a more contented life, research suggests.

Religious people are better able to cope with shocks such as losing a job or divorce, claims the study presented to a Royal Economic Society conference.

Data from thousands of Europeans revealed higher levels of "life satisfaction" in believers.

However, researcher Professor Andrew Clark said other aspects of a religious upbringing unrelated to belief may influence future happiness.

This is not the first study to draw links between religion and happiness, with a belief among many psychologists that some factor in either belief, or its observance, offering benefits.

BBC NEWS | Health | Religion 'linked to happy life'
Old 18-03-2008, 17:16   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: religion makes people have happier lives!

Quote:
Mani=A belief in God could lead to a more contented life, research suggests.
Not if you go through all the rigours of converting, perhaps even including circumcision just to found out a day later that The University Dons have proved conclusively that he doesn't exist!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 17:20   #3
Give, give, give member

They might be happier whilst alive, but I bet they're livid when they're dead, and realise it was all one big con, and there is no eternal paradise waiting for them.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 17:50   #4
Resting in Peace

Well I was brought up a catholic and am still practicing catholic, although I don't go to church now because of my health problems, but I recieve communion every Sunday morning frm church. About the research, it seems a bit flawed to me, I went through two divorces and my religion didn't seem to make things easier, neither did it when both my parents died, well it didn't seem to at the time. A persons religious bliefs are a personal thing, people look at it in different and varying ways. ut at the end of the day religion is in my eyes a very emotive subject
Old 18-03-2008, 17:54   #5
Senior Member+

think karl marx had it just about right
religion is the opium of the working class

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 18:12   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
think karl marx had it just about right
religion is the opium of the working class
It's "opium of the masses".
Marx knew nothing about religion anyway. Gustavo Gutierrez pretty much diminished every word Marx wrote about religion oppressing the lower classes.

Sorry, back to thread.
I do not have faith. However I do like going to a church/Church occasionally because I get something from it. It helps me think about the things I want to and thus makes me generally happier. You don't have to sign your soul away.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 18:15   #7
God Member

Get comfort from religion if you feel the need
As a non believer I think life is too short to waste any of it on your knees talking to yourself

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 18:21   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

another load of cobblers from people justifying their jobs religion will make some have happier lives, so will football, and hundereds of things, everyones differant,people are individuals n its whatever suits that person will make em happy.
Old 18-03-2008, 21:09   #9
I am Banned

My Grandad was an orthodox jew ( over a century ago now) and my grandma was from strict roman catholic family
they married and neither saw any of their families again -so they may have disagreed.

"religion makes people have happier lives!" i think their research may be on people who are contented in their lives and are driven by their religion rather than their religion being a part of their life.
but good for them i say - ignorance is bliss.
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 21:14   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
However I do like going to a church/Church occasionally because I get something from it.
So did I...then they closed down the Commercial.
Old 18-03-2008, 21:17   #11
God Member

I am a non Believer, even though my parents THOUGHT I might like to be christened C/E

Actually, I got quite annoyed today. My mate wants to be married in a church in October. She went to see a Vicar today, he said cos non of them were baptized, they will have to be baptized before the bishop will give them the go ahead.

It's the same old crap all the time. People just using Religion as their own gain. They do it to get their kids in school's, they do it to get married in a church ( just cos its a nice building ) not because they see it as a religious thing. It's all a farce in todays ways.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 21:20   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
I am a non Believer, even though my parents THOUGHT I might like to be christened C/E

Actually, I got quite annoyed today. My mate wants to be married in a church in October. She went to see a Vicar today, he said cos non of them were baptized, they will have to be baptized before the bishop will give them the go ahead.

It's the same old crap all the time. People just using Religion as their own gain. They do it to get their kids in school's, they do it to get married in a church ( just cos its a nice building ) not because they see it as a religious thing. It's all a farce in todays ways.
dont get annoyed slinks Rules is Rules if they wanna church wedding then they have to play the game, if not a registrar. simple as.
Old 18-03-2008, 21:21   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post

Does she go to Church anyway or does she just want to get married in one because, like you said, it's a nice building?

I can see why vicars want people to be baptised before marrying them in Church. It shows a bit more commitment to the faith. If you are not religious then you shoudn't be getting married in Church, in my opinion.
Old 18-03-2008, 21:23   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So did I...then they closed down the Commercial.
LMAO
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 21:30   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Does she go to Church anyway or does she just want to get married in one because, like you said, it's a nice building?

I can see why vicars want people to be baptised before marrying them in Church. It shows a bit more commitment to the faith. If you are not religious then you shouldn't be getting married in Church, in my opinion.
Oh yes, I can see it from the vicars point of view.... no she does not go to church, and said " I won't be going to church after I have been married" so yes, it is just because she wants a church wedding.

I know a Registry office may not seem very special.... but thats where I got married, thats because, I aint no 2 bit two faced person, that will pretend to be religious, when I really am not. And I don't like how people can make a mockery out of it. Just my opinion on the whole thing.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..