Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 14:52   #1

Retest at 70.

Proposals have once again be made to retest all drivers at the age of 70 years.
Apparently this age group has more chance of causing a motoring accident.
I always thought that the fact that our reaction time lengthens as we get older,was compensated by our experience preventing us getting into dicey situations in the first place?
I wonder how many of us would pass a resit........I have doubts on my own chances!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2007, 15:22   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Retest at 70.

I've to be retested again next month, and I'm forty two.

It's much harder than the original test. Hours spent pushing buttons and pedals at the flash of a light, and then an hours drive around Wigan.

I think a lot of drivers would be in for a shock if they were to be retested, regardless of age, as soon as you pass your test we all pick up bad habits.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 15:24   #3
Senior Member+

i thoght this was already in place, my licence runs out when im 70, or do you just have to re apply at present?
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 15:28   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
i thoght this was already in place, my licence runs out when im 70, or do you just have to re apply at present?
Only if you are informed to do so by a doctor. I had to tell the D.V.L.A. when I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.

It does seem a flawed system though, as I have a friend who was diagnosed with the same disease, at the same age, and duly informed them and has never had to be retested.

Old 04-09-2007, 15:32   #5

Apparently by law drivers are required to re-license every 3 years once they reach 70 and declare any medical conditions that have arisen that may affect driving ability.
Old 04-09-2007, 22:32   #6

I think its a good idea. Because lets face it the roads these days are a lot different that what they where 50years ago(i swear every post i make on here makes me round 90 not 19lol). And as someone already said everyone develops bad habits, this may help to iron out a few of them. But what happens if you fail? Do you lose your licence?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 22:37   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i'll be happy to still be breathing at 70, aint that far away now, think the idea sucks to be honest cos everyones differant, think you should perhaps have a medical,then take it from there.
Old 04-09-2007, 22:37   #8

This is whats happening now i dont drive my self but they say they are to menny motorist on the road and when they get older they say your reaction,s are not as good,but that,not always the case i think they should leave them aloan.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 22:40   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

lol we posted together mallard,but looks like we are singing from the same hynm sheet.
Old 04-09-2007, 23:36   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
what happens if you fail? Do you lose your licence?
That can be the case, or it can be renewed for one or three years, at the end of which time you'll need to be retested again.

Old 04-09-2007, 23:37   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That can be the case, or it can be renewed for one or three years, at the end of which time you'll be again retested.
best of luck mate.
Old 04-09-2007, 23:40   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
best of luck mate.
Thanks.

I probably will go and do it, but at the moment I'm in the sort of mood to say stick it, and give them two fingers. I'd much rather be the one to decide if I'm not going to drive, than be told I can't.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:21   #13
Senior Member+

will this test be free of charge ?
i think not
just one more way of raising taxes from the masses
or am i being cynical as i get older ?

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 15:33   #14

No doubt they are testing the water with this suggestion.There will probably be a watered down version wherte you have to take remedial Driving lessons,at a cost of course!
Old 06-09-2007, 18:43   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Over 70’s Targeted Again.

It’s the DVLA this time. They have put forward the notion that all drivers over the age of 70 should have to be tested to be able to continue to drive.

Naturally there has been a swathe of concurrences - by the under 70’s of course. Well to all those who would agree with the suggestion just remember with a bit of luck you might be 70 plus one day and I’ll bet your opinion will do a very swift about face then.

So be careful what you wish for today because it will affect you tomorrow and when it does you will have only yourself to blame.

In any case does a person become a blithering road idiot a few seconds after his/her 70th birthday? No of course not. Different people become unfit to drive at different ages and circumstances.

I know, and I’m sure that the reader does also, people of all ages who should be as far away from a steering wheel as possible and certainly never behind it not even on a Dodgem car.

I feel that this DVLA suggestion is nothing more than a ploy to get a few million cars off the roads. With some 20 million pensioners there must be at least one quarter of them as drivers. I doubt if one in ten thousand drivers of all ages, even the ones who have just passed their test, could pass a test today.

Leave well alone and furnish some stats that show over 70’s as being incapable because of their age to back up the suggestion. Insurance companies do not give lower premiums to older drivers because they are more likely to be the cause of an RTA.

The RTA stats do not lie.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..