Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2010, 22:36   #1
God Member

'Sarah's Law' sex offender alert scheme

BBC News - 'Sarah's Law' sex offender alert scheme may be expanded

Does anyone know how this works?..do you just call the police station and ask if such and so are on the sex offenders register?
if so then the authorities should go the whole way make this information avaliable to everyone.
Seems to me that to allow a few people to have this information will cause unfounded rumours and could result in some innocent people being hounded or worse...this bloke was innocent
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...igilantes.html

For a start how can it be that a known sex offender who is left alone with children in everyday life is not already under supervision from social services?... and surely any relatives who leave thier kids with someone on the register will already know.
What is to stop someone saying they have called the police and say some bloke up the street they don't like is on the sex register?
I'm not in anyway supporting "human rights" for Pedo's and I don't know all the facts about this scheme but it looks a bit dodgy.

Last edited by Mancie; 25-01-2010 at 22:38.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2010, 22:48   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: 'Sarah's Law' sex offender alert scheme

they wouldn't need these laws if they castrated the perverts.
Old 25-01-2010, 23:05   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
they wouldn't need these laws if they castrated the perverts.
That is an option Cashy but some offenders are women..maybe the other one is to give them life in prison.. but then you get bods talking about the expense.. I'm asking if this scheme is of any use and why let a few have information of offenders?.. if this is the way forward then everyone should have the information so we all know where we stand.... then you would not get rumours and some innocent people being hounded... if some bod goes for a job the potential employer can run a criminal check on the bod.. so what difference does this law make?.. it's only local and not "Sarah's Law"... the beast that killed little Sarah lived 200 miles away and would not be on any Local register.
Old 25-01-2010, 23:14   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
That is an option Cashy but some offenders are women..maybe the other one is to give them life in prison.. but then you get bods talking about the expense.. I'm asking if this scheme is of any use and why let a few have information of offenders?.. if this is the way forward then everyone should have the information so we all know where we stand.... then you would not get rumours and some innocent people being hounded... if some bod goes for a job the potential employer can run a criminal check on the bod.. so what difference does this law make?.. it's only local and not "Sarah's Law"... the beast that killed little Sarah lived 200 miles away and would not be on any Local register.
Women can be sorted also, i think the scheme is likely to be abused whatever laws/sanctions they put in it, prison is too costly, plus when released how many would re-offend again, cos life is out the question, murderers are released in no time n their sentenced to life.
Old 25-01-2010, 23:19   #5
God Member

this is the link to the California version and how it works ......
California Megan's Law - California Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

after opening the page scroll down to the continue button , when you get to the search page type in the "zip code" (post code) 94546 and it should bring up the locations of the sex offenders in my area.
Never heard of any vigilantism in my area , though I don't think offenders are allowed to reside in the area where the crimes were committed .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 23:42   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
this is the link to the California version and how it works ......
California Megan's Law - California Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

after opening the page scroll down to the continue button , when you get to the search page type in the "zip code" (post code) 94546 and it should bring up the locations of the sex offenders in my area.
Never heard of any vigilantism in my area , though I don't think offenders are allowed to reside in the area where the crimes were committed .
I did not look at your link Steeljack but I get the impression that sex offenders register is avaliable to anyone... and I say that should be the same in this country but instead we let few people know.. that is not right and will cause confusion .. let anyone check the register and those that have commited this crime can be identified no matter where they are based.. and it would help in the very common cases where people are accused by rumours and are nailed on as peadophiles just because it's a last resort for some scumbags who want to destroy someones life.

Last edited by Mancie; 25-01-2010 at 23:47.
Old 25-01-2010, 23:54   #7
God Member

castrating wouldnt be effective because some of them get off on merely touching children as one guy on a documentary who was on medical castration stated he still got his kicks one way or another

either lock them away until the day they die or execute them , any other option is a waste of time and puts children at risk

i was horrified to find a sex offender/pedophile had been moved in to a flat next door to me by somone who should have known better and actually broke his release conditions by not notifying the police of his new address and had dissapeared of their radar to which he was fined a measely £50

not only had i had this pervert in my house near my children unknowingly he was rehoused next to the girlguides/scouts and a junior school an dif it hadnt been for my ex partner recognising his name from her home town we would never have googled him and found out about what he had done

the police CANT monitor these people and i have first hand experience of this because teh police were non teh wiser until i rang up making enquiries and it turned out he hadnt been at his registered address for 4 weeks or so

god knows what he got up to in those 4 weeks he was unsupervised

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 23:57   #8
God Member

forgot to add.

the police did sod all about relocating him away from teh school etc it was only after i accidently mentioned his crime due to an ever so slight slip of teh tongue to the local teenage lads as to what he had done that his life was made hell and he was rehoused for his own sfety i assume

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 26-01-2010, 00:09   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
forgot to add.

the police did sod all about relocating him away from teh school etc it was only after i accidently mentioned his crime due to an ever so slight slip of teh tongue to the local teenage lads as to what he had done that his life was made hell and he was rehoused for his own sfety i assume
Seems strange that when in prison these poeple are well known by that population.. but the public rely on hint's and speculation.. I'd say there needs to be an open register because I don't like the idea of a few having the information because it will end up as hearsay.. if we all had accsess to this information it would stop those who want to just cause rumours about innocents...simple
Old 26-01-2010, 00:31   #10
Give, give, give member

The most dangerous threat to children, never appear on any sex offender's register lists, because frighteningly they never get caught.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 01:57   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The most dangerous threat to children, never appear on any sex offender's register lists, because frighteningly they never get caught.
get caught or not the most dangerous are who?.. seems like all the data finds that pedo's are within the family, close relatives or freinds..
so how does this work? .can anyone phone the police and get information about anyones criminal record?.. I say it seems like a thrown together policey that does nothing

Last edited by Mancie; 26-01-2010 at 02:00.
Old 26-01-2010, 05:52   #12
God Member

iv just been reading about the horrific case of a 17 year old who raped a girl last year while on bail for raping another little girl and it says he couldnt be named for legal reasons, I always thought it was 16 and you could be named has the law changed on the age limit for naming ?.Although jailed indfinatly this coudl end up only been a short while if the soft ass liberal lot get a sniff of this case and he sounds like a very dangerous individual who i think should not only have been named after the trial but also warnings issued when he is released to residents wher ehe ends up.Iv always said in cases such as sex crimes identities shoudl be wetheld from the public but once conviced everything possibel shoudl be done to alert the public to the danger they pose to others

mind you this is the country that punished jamie bulgers killers by giving them new identities and a life of luxury.Just think some poor sods daughters somewhere could be datin one of teh kids that beat a toddler to death on railtracks and they wont know a thing about it

Old 26-01-2010, 09:08   #13
Resting in Peace

I can never understand this not naming for legal reasons, if people don't want to become infamous then keep on the straight and narrow, if you step over the line why shouldn't the rest of society know
Old 26-01-2010, 12:51   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
iv just been reading about the horrific case of a 17 year old who raped a girl last year while on bail for raping another little girl and it says he couldnt be named for legal reasons
He will be named, but only after they've installed sufficient security to ensure that he's not attacked in prison. What an excellent use of taxpayers money!

Incidentally, do you know that sex offenders in Peru are chucked in the slammer, along with ordinary criminals with no special protection measures. Still, we wouldn't want such a thing here...would we?
Old 26-01-2010, 15:04   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
He will be named, but only after they've installed sufficient security to ensure that he's not attacked in prison. What an excellent use of taxpayers money!

Incidentally, do you know that sex offenders in Peru are chucked in the slammer, along with ordinary criminals with no special protection measures. Still, we wouldn't want such a thing here...would we?
Why

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..