Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2005, 17:45   #1
land of hope and glory

Save Our Pubs!

just been reading that as well as that stupid law for the barbirds,There are 26 pubs a month shutting down, of those that shut 80% are being turned into houses/flats. camera polled councils across the country, they say that more people are staying at home drinking .THIS brings me to believe that what they say about binge drinking is a load of owd codswallop,if you can get 24 cans from your local supermarket for a tenner (soon to be 24 hours a day)nobody will need to binge drink so the people that have just had five cans apiece jump in there cars and nip to the local supermarket half popped up,will it not also have an effect on the family it self? continuous argueing,the kids safety .etc..they say that there are 64.000 pubs in the u.k 312 closing every year,it wont be long before there aint the good owd local boozer.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-08-2005, 18:19   #2
God Member

Re: Save Our Pubs!

I hope this is a trend that dramatically drops as I would hate it if the only pubs that were left were the so called trendy ones in town centres. By the way have you re-applied for your licence staggers as reading in the LET it seems many have not as yet and there are only 2 days left to do it. If they don't then there will be even more ceasing trading!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 18:31   #3
Member.

On driving out of Accrington last Saturday between 7.30 p.m. and 8 p.m. I hardly saw anyone in town. I drove down from Burnley Rd, though the centre and up Blackburn Rd. The only signs of life were around the Miners. I think binge drinking is very much a large town/city phenomenon created by and for the financial benefit of major producers. I believe that Tradition “Heart of the Community” pubs will prosper if landlords invest in decent real ale brews along side of the washing water that major producers churn out, real food, live music, and above all else a commitment by the landlord to the clientele to provide a safe, warm and friendly environment. With decent bar staff, fare prices and at least one decent looking bird.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 19:13   #4
Give, give, give member

All the other pubs are being deserted because they are going to The Stag.

It's not the nearest pub to me, but I'd choose it over others and consider it my local, partly because of the welcome off mine hosts.

Last edited by garinda; 04-08-2005 at 19:17.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 19:14   #5
God Member

Unhappy Demise of your local

I wonder if this trend will ever stop dispite the fact many people including myself enjoy a visit to a pub. If they all closed it would suit the polictical correct brigade as we will not be falling around pye eyed at the weekend. We would be considered health conscious and respectable. Only problem is we could end up staggering around with a can in our hands same as the youngsters (who cannot enter a pub but can a park). Why should we have to give up something we enjoy and is part of life I certainly enjoy with its jokes rumours pool darts etc an all inclusive experience. Where on earth would we find the good looking barmaid, selling drink in a uniform in the local Booze Buster or Asda with the personality traits of a Nori brick. Please help us we need or local.
SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 19:42   #6
Senior Member+

I don't really go to pubs very much any more - the kids put a stop to most of our visits...

Although saying that, we went to a pub yesterday as we just missed the beginning of Madagascar, and it was just under an hour before the next performance was due to start.

We walked in, I was carrying my daughter in my arms. We walked up to the bar and I asked whether they served children. When the barman said 'yes' I offered my daughter to him and said 'can I have her with chips then, please'!

Seriously though, a lot of pubs don't allow children, and the ones that do are ones that I would rather avoid! There are a few decent ones, but they are few and far between

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 20:02   #7
God Member

If the pubs that allow kids are any good then why do we avoid them? If they are bad then fair enough but some must be good with decent facilities or are we to take kids to "pub an grub" places like The Gamecock wjhich is part of Whitbreads Brewers Fayer/Brewsters chain. You get a great meal and there is smoking in the bar area only, healthy for the kids along with the outdoor play area.

As these are usually out of town then who would go for a drink and trail their kids so far, only because there is nothing comparable in town. Add the low top rule for barmaids along with a complete ban on smoking then are beloved local will be finished.
SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 00:18   #8
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
On driving out of Accrington last Saturday between 7.30 p.m. and 8 p.m. I hardly saw anyone in town. I drove down from Burnley Rd, though the centre and up Blackburn Rd. The only signs of life were around the Miners. I think binge drinking is very much a large town/city phenomenon created by and for the financial benefit of major producers. I believe that Tradition “Heart of the Community” pubs will prosper if landlords invest in decent real ale brews along side of the washing water that major producers churn out, real food, live music, and above all else a commitment by the landlord to the clientele to provide a safe, warm and friendly environment. With decent bar staff, fare prices and at least one decent looking bird.
and heres me thinking that you drank lager doug? was this a figment of my imagination? i try and please the customer but when the go down to the local supermarket and buy in there is nothing anyone .........only the brewery can do about it.if they are selling pallet loads of ale to them its one drop off, easy money but when you ask your rep for the same price you havent a leg to stand on? its all bo--ocks canning beer is easier than than kegging it and a lot more profitable. does anyone want to buy a pub?
Old 05-08-2005, 00:23   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
and heres me thinking that you drank lager doug? was this a figment of my imagination? i try and please the customer but when the go down to the local supermarket and buy in there is nothing anyone .........only the brewery can do about it.if they are selling pallet loads of ale to them its one drop off, easy money but when you ask your rep for the same price you havent a leg to stand on? its all bo--ocks canning beer is easier than than kegging it and a lot more profitable. does anyone want to buy a pub?
How much?

I could turn it into a Rindy Fun Pub!

Old 05-08-2005, 00:29   #10
land of hope and glory

NOT WITH MY CLIENTELE you couldnt afford them gary..........now me thats a differant subject?
Old 05-08-2005, 00:31   #11
Give, give, give member

I know you cost me an arm and a leg.

I think it was a leg!

Old 05-08-2005, 00:35   #12
Member.

Lager is something that I drink if I need a wet when I’m driving, “just the one” I must admit to drinking J2O when driving rather that than risk an accident “getting old now and its showing”. Now I do admit that when not driving I like“live” summer ale. I drink Guinness or Black Sheep when at home and if the opportunity allows and I don’t have to drive home at all I love a good cask conditioned dark brew with plenty of flavour………These days I don’t usually have a drink at all if I know I have to drive at all. That’s why I don’t pop in when I’m over. Saying that I always drive out past the Stag and I always tempted to call in.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 00:39   #13
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I know you cost me an arm and a leg.

I think it was a leg!
is that why you always fall to your left gary.......he....hee
Old 05-08-2005, 07:57   #14
God Member

I won't go into town centre any more. I'm happy frequenting the Victoria. Julie an dI can have a wander with Siobhan down through teh park and sit out with a nice cool pint on the way home. What I like is the friendly atmosphere, good ale and decent surroundings. I don't need Big Screen tele or karaoke to enjoy myself thanks.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 14:21   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

pubs are in a no-win situation nowadays, impossible to compete with supermarkets etc,the best ones for my money are NOT these plastic crappy town centre places, but real pubs with real people in them, the stag where we have the meets is one such place,the only way to make a do is to have genuine friendly hosts,and even then its not easy. entwi said its the friendly atmosphere you want and for my money hes correct.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..