Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 09:18   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Angry saving energy costs on the dead!!!!!!!!

Anger At Plan To Store Bodies At Crematorium (from Lancashire Telegraph)

this is wrong, very wrong.!!!

couldnt believe what i was reading
Old 02-07-2007, 09:36   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: saving energy costs on the dead!!!!!!!!

A lot of people think that the cremation actually takes place when the coffin goes through the curtain but it doesn't and never has. It is usually done sometime later although in most cases not very much later.

At crematoriums (crematoria?) where there are 3 or 4 funerals that day I can't see the problem with not lighting the furnace until after the last funeral has taken place. They are not actually suggesting putting all the coffins in together. Just having one time of the day when the furnace is lit and then each one will have its own cremation in succession.

I can't see anything wrong with the idea myself and it doesn't sound a whole lot different to what happens already apart from it saving on the fuel for getting the furnaces heated up.

I don't like the idea of holding any and carrying them forward to the next day though. I still think they should take place on the same day as the actual ceremony.

If they were going to suggest cremating people en masse then I would agree that is totally unacceptable and I would be horrified at the idea.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:10   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

once of a day they used to cremate the days lot at night,at the same time, at least some did, me brother was sandblasting one many years ago and was actually asked if he wanted to watch, he declined,to me summat like that is more disrespectful.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:25   #4
Resident Waffler

So it's not a radical new idea at all?

Old 02-07-2007, 12:32   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
So it's not a radical new idea at all?
dont think so willow,think it would depend on which area/ council what the script is, as i said this was many (over30) years ago, n at the time i assumed they all did it? now older i think probably not,point is its not really radical or new to me.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:36   #6
Resident Waffler

I used to work with the daughter of an undertaker and she told me that they did the actual cremating later after all the mourners were long gone. It was normal. The coffin just went through the curtain and stayed at the other side. When I was little I thought the conveyor belt led straight through to the furnace but she explained that the furnace isn't there. The coffin is lifted off and carried to the furnace.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:36   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

the thing that puzzeled me then. and still does, if thats the case,HOW do you know you got yer loved ones ashes?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:38   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I used to work with the daughter of an undertaker and she told me that they did the actual cremating later after all the mourners were long gone. It was normal. The coffin just went through the curtain and stayed at the other side. When I was little I thought the conveyor belt led straight through to the furnace but she explained that the furnace isn't there. The coffin is lifted off and carried to the furnace.
as theres services all day, then it begins to make sense.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:46   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the thing that puzzeled me then. and still does, if thats the case,HOW do you know you got yer loved ones ashes?

Thats a good point and I wonder if the council or the crematorium can give a truthful answer to it. Its an out and out disgrace and very disrespectful to the deceased and their family and friends.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:54   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Thats a good point and I wonder if the council or the crematorium can give a truthful answer to it. Its an out and out disgrace and very disrespectful to the deceased and their family and friends.
with what i was told spug, i doubt that very much.
Old 02-07-2007, 13:05   #11
Resident Waffler

Don't they do them one after the other? They may call it 'all at once' but it's not like the bodies all go in together. A bit like me telling the kids not to eat a bag of sweets all at once. I don't mean putting them all in their mouth at once, but in rapid succession.

It's a bit of a morbid subject but the ashes you get back aren't all ashes. They have to grind up the bones as they don't reduce to ash.

Old 02-07-2007, 13:07   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Don't they do them one after the other? They may call it 'all at once' but it's not like the bodies all go in together. A bit like me telling the kids not to eat a bag of sweets all at once. I don't mean putting them all in their mouth at once, but in rapid succession.

It's a bit of a morbid subject but the ashes you get back aren't all ashes. They have to grind up the bones as they don't reduce to ash.
cant say for all but some definatly do em all at once.
Old 02-07-2007, 13:16   #13
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
cant say for all but some definatly do em all at once.
That's not nice. You could have Great Auntie Nellie in a jar on the mantlepiece and it's not really her at all!

Old 02-07-2007, 13:21   #14
God Member

I dont think there is much point asking for the ashes - suspect you just get a shovelful off the pile -behind that curtain is an 'industrial process of hygenic body disposal' -it is not designed for grieving relatives to view, and would probably upset them if they did. Those crematoria workers work with death every day, an unpleasant job, and they need not to be sentimental about it in order to cope with doing it.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 13:43   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
That's not nice. You could have Great Auntie Nellie in a jar on the mantlepiece and it's not really her at all!
its not really a nice subject, thats why i never dug any further with the info i got years ago. its a bad time anyway for anyone concerned so its probably better knowing nowt?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..