Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2006, 07:13   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: School Dinners

When i was at school i had the school thinking i went home for dinner and my mum thought i went to school dinners ,at that time dinners for the week were 5 shillings (25p) for the week mum used to give me 5 shillings on monday and me and a mate would club togeather.
we would go to Pickerings pies on Manchester road near larkhill for those that know preston and order the pies for the week meat & patato were 6 pence each 2 1/2p so 5 shillings bought the pies for both of us for the week and the rest went on fags 5 park drive or we would go in the shop each day and buy "separates" and share .oh the memories
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2006, 19:51   #17

to this day.........I can,t eat cabbage........it was the overpowering smell at school dinners......
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 20:44   #18
God Member

This is why kids get fat, they eat crap each day, junk sandwiches with crisps and sweets.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 20:46   #19
Accy Goddess

We used to have decent school meals.
Apart from prunes.
I still can't stand them to this day.
Ewww just the thought of them makes me cringe.
In the Sec school I used to go to my mates house.
On the way we'd get a pie a custard and 5 park drive or separates if money was short.
Oh, happy days.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 20:51   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow
to this day.........I can,t eat cabbage........it was the overpowering smell at school dinners......
White, crispy cabbage with lashings of gravy ... yummy .. all different palates, 'aint we. ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 21:56   #21
Passed away 25-11-09

School dinner cabbage must have put many a person off for life. Why did school cooks think cabbage was only edible when it had been boiled to death for an hour and a half? I agree with Kate, cabbage should be crisp (al dente, yeah?) but I like mine with a bit of butter and lots of black pepper.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:55   #22
God Member

We had central kitchens too, which topped up all the schools own kitchens, built to cope with the boomer years, and now long demolished, complete with asbestos roof, it was probably raining down on the food as they cooked it. asbestos and chips please.
The meals were vile, and I suspect that a lot of you got your dislikes of certain foods at school, especially cabbage, spinage, lumpy custard, tapioca, rice, semolina, angel delight, gravy, rhubarb crumble, plus many many more.

Also when at junior school we had to sit on certain tables in certain places, so you always got to sit next t the same person, and the most well behaved tables got to go up first. I hated sitting about waiting, so I used to tell the others to shut up, then I got put on the bad lads table and always went up last. For this I wish evil things on the dinner ladies if they're still alive, what goes around comes around.
When I got my chance in middle school, my mum thought I had school dinners, the school thought I went home, and in fact we went to the corner cafe for a chip batch and went somerfield for a can of cheap pop.

Last edited by Madhatter; 04-08-2006 at 12:01.
Old 04-08-2006, 17:43   #23
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I had school dinners, I have to admit that the meals at secondary school were superior to the ones at junior school. I didn't mind the semolina and tapioca but I hated that vivid pink blancmange that we used to get at junior school, occasionally they would produce a yellow version of it, just to vary it a bit, but it tasted just the same. It was thick and horrid and used to glue itself to the roof of your mouth. Once you put it in your mouth you couldn't get rid of it. I still hate blancmange to this day. Most of the veg at junior school was boiled to death and tasteless. We had a dinner lady at Peel Park who used to literally force feed you. I wouldn't mind but she lived around the corner from me and used to tell my mum that I never ate my dinners..

I hope that things have improved..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 13:43   #24
God Member

Real blancmange with flavour is quite nice as is semolina and rice and custard. I've been brave enough to try all since school and it was just how the school was making it. I think it was some sort of sick punishment, they used to love forcing us to eat it.
Old 07-08-2006, 15:12   #25
Beacon of light

We got free school dinners at one point.....I think it was because my Dad was poorly and unable to work.....if it hadn't been for the school dinners and some very innovative cooking on my mums part we would have starved to death.
Mrs Almond on the end of Marsden St. had a bake shop and she used to let my mum have the bread that was left at the end of the day.....and any cooked spuds or veggies that hadn't sold at dinner time.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 18:25   #26
God Member

one good point about school dinners even if sometimes the food was crap .....it taught young people how to use a knife and fork and to some extent table manners, it's called socializing ........watching youngsters eat these days is like being at the zoo , all this rubish about my little darling hates this or my little precious doesn't like and parents catering to every dietry whim is the reason why kids are running amok.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..