Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 13:32   #16

Re: school leaving age!

The badges actually say 'I am a chavette'
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2007, 13:34   #17
Resting in peace

Quote:
panther, does this mean no more joining the army at 16?? good question
I think they will still be able to join the army at 16 as this will be an extension of school, boy service in the army does not count as service for pensions etc, this starts at 18 or there abouts, so in effect it will be just like going to school.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:37   #18
God Member

i signed up for the army and failed my medical (eyesight) a month before going in.. I got full wages for the time from signup to medical.... quite a nice lump sum
Old 12-01-2007, 13:37   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
I don't think leaving was ever 15... I was 14 when I left school but wasn't legally able to work until I was 15 (about 2 weeks later)
My guess is that your birthday is July/August as you were 15 in that school year. Either that or you left school before 1944

1870:First compulsory school for younger children
1880: Attendance officers enforce school for 5 to 10 year olds
1899: Leaving age raised to 12
1918: Full-time education compulsory up to 14
1944: Education Act raises leaving age to 15
1964: Raising of school leaving age to 16 announced, but not in place until 1972
Old 12-01-2007, 13:42   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
My guess is that your birthday is July/August as you were 15 in that school year.

8<-------------

1964: Raising of school leaving age to 16 announced, but not in place until 1972

thats the one I came under... just... Aug 1st same as car reg plates... I also recall just missing out on being able to ride my Lambretta LI-150 without a crash helmet soon aftre...oh hum.... oh yeagh and decimilisation..... joke of the day was....whoever thought of that was too clever by 0.5 ...... no wasn't funny then either
Old 12-01-2007, 13:57   #21
Foreign Correspondent

Question - at what age do students in the UK enter university?

Here in the US, most students earn their high school diplomas at age 18 or 19, but I was one of a relatively small group that completed at 17. Does the UK grant something similar to our high school diploma? Just curious! How would the new rules about school-leaving age apply in such a case?

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 14:03   #22
Resting in peace

According to lancsdaves figures anyone leaving school at 14 would have to be 76+
Old 12-01-2007, 14:06   #23
God Member

dont i look good for 76
Old 12-01-2007, 14:08   #24
Resting in peace

Well your avitar certainly does your honour
Old 12-01-2007, 14:09   #25
Resident Waffler

We don't have High School Diplomas Billcat. Our High School starts at 11ish and goes on to 15/16ish when they take the GCSE exams. My daughter will be 15 when she takes hers. Most will be 16 because they have their birthday earlier in the year. They are in High School for 5 years then have the opportunity but no compulsion, to go on to (6th form) college which may be for 1, 2 or 3 years of study or more depending on what qualifications they start with and what they aim for.

The course and career choice my daughter is aiming for takes the students in at different levels. She is hoping to get in on the middle level if her results are good but if not then she can do a year at the lower level to get her up to the required standard for the middle level and when she gradutes from there she can go on to do another year for her diploma. So she'll be either almost 18 or almost 19 by then - but she could opt out any time before then if she wants to limit her careeer options, which I hope she doesn't.

Then again after the middle level she could always opt for an apprenticeship style of work/study too. There are many options.

What age do they start school in the USA and what age do they move to a different school?

Mine stated reception class at 4, then 2 years of infants, 3 years of Juniors (all in the same primary school) before moving on to High School.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 12-01-2007 at 14:12.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 14:42   #26
Foreign Correspondent

Willow,

It may very a bit from place to place (especially with regard to in which grade students move from elementary school to middle school).

These days, this is a fairly typical program:

Starting when you are age 5, you enter elementary school for six years(kindergarden and grades 1-5).

Assuming you did not skip or repeat a grade, you would be 11 when you transfer to Middle School (Grades 6-8, 3 years).

You would most likely be 14 when you enter high school (Grades 9-12, 4 years). Assuming you complete high school, you would most likely receive your high school diploma and graduate in June when you are age 18.

After high school, many of us went on to college or university. The only real difference in the US between the two is that colleges typically offer only four-year Bachelors degrees, while universities also offer Masters and Doctorates. My school, Dartmouth College, is ranked as a major research university. It is unlikely, for historical reasons, that it will ever be known as Dartmouth University, as that is the name the State of New Hampshire created when they made an unsuccessful move to invalidate the Royal Charter that created Dartmouth in 1769.

When I started school, we started in the fall of the year that we reached the age of 5. So, being born in late 1952, I started school in September 1957, at age four, along with the other kids born in 1952. Of course, I turned five shortly after school started.

In most states, students can legally drop out of school at age 16.

Old 12-01-2007, 15:30   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billcat View Post
Question - if these young folks who now leave school at an earlier age do not want to be in the classroom, might they be disruptive and slow/stop the progress of those students who DO wish to get an education?

While I am very much in favor of folks getting an education, after a certain age I don't think you can successfully force it on young people.
This is a very valid point and probably a problem in all schools.

What about bringing back National Service. If they arnt into further education and not all of them are, they can do 2 years in the Army.

Make this counrty a better place.
Old 12-01-2007, 16:48   #28

Idiotic.

Force people who don't want to be there to be stuck in education for another 2 years. This means the teachers having to hold them there for another 2 years and spend the time getting them to turn up and work rather than teaching the ones that actually want to be there.

The school leaving age at the moment is already too high. At the age of 14 you can tell who are wasting their time by staying in school. I feel sorry for the people who are going to be stuck with the same no-hopers for another 2 years thanks to this.

For me college is a breath of fresh air, there is no need for discipline, if someone doesn't want to be in the lesson, they don't have to stay, if a teacher wants someone out of the lesson, they kick them out. You are left with the people who want to do the work doing the work and the teachers can concentrate on their job - education not babysitting.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 17:08   #29
God Member

I get the impression that the etxended years will be more of a college format than a school format, and more importantly with more options to do vocational subjects. Perhaps if schools did more subjects which covered more interesting subjects some of those who lose interest in the standrad stuiff may actually be interested in staying on.

Of course we know schools can't offer much more because that would mean taking money away from other sources like luxuries for prisoners and putting it where it's needed.
Old 12-01-2007, 17:13   #30
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
This is a very valid point and probably a problem in all schools.

What about bringing back National Service. If they arnt into further education and not all of them are, they can do 2 years in the Army.

Make this counrty a better place.
Of course, National Service could also be more broadly defined. No reason why those young folks couldn't be put to work cleaning and restoring parks and other sites of interest.

As my sister said when one of my nephews dropped out of university, there's nothing quite as useful as a year or two in a really dull job to help develop the motivation for education!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..