Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 14:52   #31

Re: School Photos

I was going to write a big essay post on this, but pretty much everything I was going to say has been covered allready.

your forgetting aswel the years of training that most professional photographers go through, at their own cost (in most cases) I'm in my 5th year studying the subject, (doing my BA) and it's cost me thousands... my Degree cost me around £3000 just in fees...

and my BA is costing me another £1200, This money has to be recouped somewhere...

The cost to set up even a small business shooting schools etc will go into the thousands, there is so much kit and equipment you have to buy,
Camera body, lenses, transmitters/sync leads, studio lights, backdrops, bags and cases, batteries, photographic media (cards/film etc)

then you have to factor in transportation costs, and if your working with kids your going to have to have them police checks done,

as for output, not all photographers have in house printing... the "worked" images are often sent off to a lab for printing, which adds to the cost. then theres the admin side of things. I've worked in a studio that specialized in social and wedding photography, and the amount of time I spent trawling through orders cutting prints, mounting them and prepping them for sale could have been a full time job. So if the photographer hasn't got another assistant working on that he/she is using time they could be producing more work outputting previous work.

It's a hard job, it's not just "turn up set up some lights and press a button" people have to remember that it is a real job that requires real skill. And the people doing it have to make enough money from it to eat and pay the bills just like the rest of you!

This isn't a rant, btw...
magaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2008, 15:17   #32
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Maybe the school itself is adding more of a commision on ? does anyone know what sort of percentage the schools actually make on these ?

Cheques have to be made to the photographer, not the school. As far as I know the school gets nothing out of it. My daughter is on the PTA committee and I don't think any contribution is made, to school funds, by the photographer. If there's another way for him to contribute, I don't know what it is.
Old 08-11-2008, 14:55   #33
God Member

The school benefits - whether it's given to the PTA or the school - there's a commission or a fee paid to the school or it wouldn't be worth the disruption of classes.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 15:05   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
No, you just get a tiny thumbnail of a thing.

It also has 'sample' accross it to stop people scanning and blowing them up.

Can't blame them I suppose.....their business must have taken a battering since the arrival of scanners etc.
Thats where photoshop comes in
Old 08-11-2008, 16:55   #35
Resting in Peace

You do get to know the price,The choice is simple,Buy or Don't,Can't see the problem.

Take your own.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 13:00   #36
Senior Member+

Just got tys...what a stupid time to be asking for money!! I want them but dont think i can stretch with it being so close to christmas!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 14:19   #37
Passed away 25-11-09

They are always done in this term so you'll buy them for Christmas, Emma.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..