Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2011, 20:35   #181
Give, give, give member

Re: Selective Licensing of Landlords

The link to the report I'd read wasn't online earlier, but is now on the LT website.

If anyone else wants to read it.

Hyndburn landlords fail in High Court bid (From Lancashire Telegraph)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-02-2011, 20:38   #182
Junior Member+

I've thrown a few Q & A's in the mix over the months, I’m lousy at jokes though. Particularly as I got told off last time I was rude.

Always have sugar in to keep people sweet...
Eafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 07:02   #183
Senior Member+

"Always have sugar in to keep people sweet..." Is that Cryptic for poor scheme designed to appease masses?

I believe it's a start. Society, Hyndburn has to get a grip of chronic housing problems. Parts of Accrington ar boarded up and other parts a places people don't want to live.

SL tries to deal not with stock condition but the people who live in these areas and who have little respect. Landlords have proven not to be responsible in looking after the neighbourhood, ie housing anti social tenants.

Where it needs to go further is stock condition. It's not alright to allow one landlord or person to turn their house into a tip or one that is in need of critical repairs. Other people, owner occupiers, live there too.

There is the supplementary issue then of decent law abiding people only having access to poor and often dangerous properties.

I worry that landlords are still not getting message but still getting their money.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 01:44   #184
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

I worry that landlords are still not getting message but still getting their money.
not according to this news report , Woman on benefits owing £3,500 rent can't be evicted: New European human rights ruling could lead to thousands of tenants refusing to pay

Read more: New ECHR ruling could lead to thousands of tenants refusing to pay rent | Mail Online

think thats something your buddies in the previous Govt. signed up for isn't it .......... so can we assume now that we know you are not in favour of 'deadbeats' you will be working to remove the ' European Human Rights laws from the UK statute books , would probably also help your touted efforts in the Amy Houston case

Last edited by steeljack; 25-02-2011 at 01:46.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 06:33   #185
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
not according to this news report , Woman on benefits owing £3,500 rent can't be evicted: New European human rights ruling could lead to thousands of tenants refusing to pay

Read more: New ECHR ruling could lead to thousands of tenants refusing to pay rent | Mail Online

think thats something your buddies in the previous Govt. signed up for isn't it .......... so can we assume now that we know you are not in favour of 'deadbeats' you will be working to remove the ' European Human Rights laws from the UK statute books , would probably also help your touted efforts in the Amy Houston case
Hmm, quoting the Daily Mail as a case for the prosecution.....dodgy ground, I fear. I think you'll find in this instance it was actually an administrative error which meant her rent should have been paid anyway but she hadn't filled in the right forms.

The respectable landlords want Selective Licensing, it is only the unscrupulous ones who seem to be against it. That really should tell you everything you need to know.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 07:46   #186
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I think you'll find in this instance it was actually an administrative error which meant her rent should have been paid anyway but she hadn't filled in the right forms.

So am I right in thinking that you agree with the idea that those recieving "free" housing should have their rent deducted at source and the Council/Govt. agency should pay it directly to the landlord
Old 25-02-2011, 07:52   #187
Common Sense Member

Quote:
So am I right in thinking that you agree with the idea that those recieving "free" housing should have their rent deducted at source and the Council/Govt. agency should pay it directly to the landlord
Who are you actually rooting for here? The poor tenants who get their free housing money taken off them before they get it or the poor landlords who may not get their money because of 'deadbeats' who don't need to pay thanks to the Court of Human Rights?

State your case properly and I'll give you a straight answer.

Old 25-02-2011, 08:11   #188
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Who are you actually rooting for here? The poor tenants who get their free housing money taken off them before they get it or the poor landlords who may not get their money because of 'deadbeats' who don't need to pay thanks to the Court of Human Rights?

State your case properly and I'll give you a straight answer.
just rooting for fairplay ... if you sign an agreement to rent a place you should have a reasonable expectation that the rent will be paid ... offer /acceptance etc. ... think its called contract law .
Your a self employed businessman you provide your services and the client says ok thanks , but I'm not paying you I'm skint and thats fine with you ? or do you require some money up front, or just hope to God that they have the 'morals' and pay whats due ... who suffers ? you and your family .
maybe a bad example , you go to the Cinema , pay up front and its a crap movie , do you really expect your money back , same with "pub grub" where it's requird you pay when ordeing and the food in your opinion is rubbish ... its all relative .
Old 25-02-2011, 08:18   #189
Common Sense Member

Quote:
just rooting for fairplay
I think we're singing the same tune then.

Having seen the squalour that passes for 'habitable' in the eyes of certain rogue landlords I am heavily in favour of tighter regulation which makes things better for the tenants, some of who have little option but to go into the private rental sector in order to find a home.

Property management has risks involved and anyone who doesn't understand this really shouldn't be in the business but for every one decent landlord who ensures good standards there are several who use the holes in the system to get rich at the expense of their tenants.

I've seen it first hand many times, it really really needs to stop.

Old 25-02-2011, 14:33   #190
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

As someone that has rented over nearly 10 years & and also been on benefits, during part of that time, I always had the money paid straight to my landlord, it saved me worrying about late payments, being tempted if a bit short, however, if once you start work & the Council is a little slow in adjusting it's payments & your landlord thinks, what the heck, a double whammy! My tenant & the Council are paying me I'm saying nothing, guess who the Council claim against?
Here's a clue, it isn't the landlord.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 21:09   #191
Junior Member+

Smile Re: Selective Licensing of Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
As someone that has rented over nearly 10 years & and also been on benefits, during part of that time, I always had the money paid straight to my landlord, it saved me worrying about late payments, being tempted if a bit short, however, if once you start work & the Council is a little slow in adjusting it's payments & your landlord thinks, what the heck, a double whammy! My tenant & the Council are paying me I'm saying nothing, guess who the Council claim against?
Here's a clue, it isn't the landlord.
If housing benefit is paid whilst you were working and shouldnt have been then I'm afraid your wrong Less, it most definately would be the landlord that gets the overpayment notice.
Eafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 22:34   #192
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eafield View Post
If housing benefit is paid whilst you were working and shouldnt have been then I'm afraid your wrong Less, it most definately would be the landlord that gets the overpayment notice.
I can assure you that it wasn't my landlord they called into their office, it wasn't my landlord that was given a caution and it wasn't my landlord that was interviewed on tape.
It was me, fortunately I was able to get my landlord to admit that the overpayment was paid to him & fortunately he agreed to pay the money back, otherwise it would have been me they would have taken to court.
Even if the payment is direct to the landlord the person held responsible is the claiming tenant, I know this to be correct as it happened to me.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 20:51   #193
God Member

I got a letter through the shop door to inform me that the council is now going to have selective licencing from 1st December 2012. I'm guessing the shop is one of the areas concerned, does that mean I have to check my landlord is licenced from that date ?

On a serious note, I hope this means the start of cleaning the town up and many of the problems moving to other towns where they don't have licencing
Old 15-08-2012, 21:05   #194
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I got a letter through the shop door to inform me that the council is now going to have selective licencing from 1st December 2012. I'm guessing the shop is one of the areas concerned, does that mean I have to check my landlord is licenced from that date ?

On a serious note, I hope this means the start of cleaning the town up and many of the problems moving to other towns where they don't have licencing
Here's a link to the map - Peel Street is not one of the areas involved, it's all private housing not the town centre.

Selective Licensing Consultation Findings
Old 16-08-2012, 05:19   #195
Resting in Peace

Here is a scanned copy of the letter that came through my door the other day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg licence page1.jpg (551.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg licence page2.jpg (520.8 KB, 7 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..