Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2005, 11:52   #1
God Member

Unhappy Serious Issue

After the abdution of and murder of Rory in Livingston one of the truck drivers who deliver material to my place of work had to phone the police when he came across a nine year old boy wandering down a lonely road on his own. What are parents thinking this was after 9pm
and it but the willies up him as he has a young son himself. As a dad it puts the willies up me and makes me show what was described as a "protective panic" Is society getting that bad some no longer care or cannot be bothered? Or is it over reaction on my part because if it is I am proud of it !

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-08-2005, 11:59   #2
I am Banned

Re: Serious Issue

you think thats bad only the other night i saw kids as young as 5 playing out near the big roundabout near aldi

kids these days are left to do as they please and when somthing goes wrong the parents appear on tv saying they just dont understand how somthing could have happened to their child

the annoying thing is that stopping to help a lost child can get you in trouble these days and you are more likely to get shouted at by the parents for approaching their child rather than thanked for been considerate enough to ask if it is ok or lost or somthing
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2005, 12:03   #3
God Member

Agree whole heartedly with that assesment chav. To care is a crime now that is seriously screwed up.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 30-08-2005, 12:54   #4
God Member

Maybe parents should go to parenting and resposibility classes. The younger ones have a kid and think its great as they are centre of attention then when a few years down the lines that kid becomes inconvenient it spends a lot of time out with others in the same situ. They say a pet is not just for christmas but life then itg should also apply to these socalled parents. I aint sorry if I upset some of them but I was brought up to look after my child and plan my life around her not just "dump" to one side when she does not fit in with my social life. She comes first and is not just an afterthoght.

Too many young mothers would rather have their social life than their child and as such are unfit to be a parent. I will not appologise for this view as it is how I was brought up and what I believe !!!!!!!!

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 30-08-2005, 14:26   #5
God Member

Don't think you should apologise. You're right to be protective about your children - I'd battle anyone if I thought either of mine were likely to come to harm.

I do worry though about how they might be missing out. Just up the road from me there are a few families and they have very young kids (younger than mine I think) and they let them play out on the pavement and around the area until quite late. It won't be long before my two start asking why they aren't allowed to play out like that but the simple fact is I'd rather have them where I can see them.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2005, 15:00   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i see very young kids 5-8 year olds many evenings playing in the long grass and bushes etc, at the top end of owd bobs,when i,m out with the dog, anyone who knows this area will know its isolated at night,also there was a flasher reported the other month in that vicinity, the parents (if they deserve that title) should be ashamed of themselves, when you see these terrible stories in the media i despair.
Old 30-08-2005, 15:07   #7
God Member

and there was me having a panic attack the other night (those at the meet will know what I'm talking about) about my two and they are 12 and nearly 14!!! I'd rather be that way though than the other. Setting boundaries and the children understanding and respecting those boundaries thats what these kids need

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2005, 15:08   #8
God Member

I remember that when I was five I had to be in bed by six o'clock. It was not until I was in my second year at Secondary School that I was allowed to stay up past 10:30, and then only at weekends.

It is sad, but true, that for some parents, children are seen as either a fashion accessory or an inevitable if inconvenient rite of passage into adulthood.

I have often thought that prospective parents should have to apply for a license to have kids.
Old 30-08-2005, 15:08   #9
Senior Member+

It's always the same in that area, loads of kids in the park at night cashman.
Old 30-08-2005, 15:17   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
I remember that when I was five I had to be in bed by six o'clock. It was not until I was in my second year at Secondary School that I was allowed to stay up past 10:30, and then only at weekends.
yes i remember this the only time i was allowed to stay up was a monday night i would go to bed at the usuall time but when my mum got in from working at the hospital she would let me sneek down and watch APOINTMENT WITH FEAR but i had to be up the following day and that was if i had been very good the week before
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2005, 15:28   #11
God Member

Its good to see that people care its a pity others do not have the same attitude.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 30-08-2005, 16:11   #12
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

It's the same with the kids round here too. Allowed to play on the streets until all hours of the night and the parents couldn't care less what they're up to. A lot of people see having children as a career these days, not just young girls but lads too.

I love children but have never wanted them for myself. I love my life and have a good job which takes me out of the house at all hours of the day and night. I have a good social life and like to travel (a lot). I know that to some people it sounds selfish. By some people I mean my mother who used to berate me for not having kids until told that it was selfish of her to try and make me feel guilty for not providing grandchildren.

I don't want my lifestyle to change and I know that if I did have kids it would, because I would have to know where they were and would probably be pretty strict. So you see, there is a choice. My friends who have children envy my lifestyle but know that they can't have it both ways.

I think that some young people don't realise that the choice is there for them. Believe me I found nothing sadder in my job than the mother of a 14 year old girl as excited as you can get because she was going to be a grandma..... To whom I pointed out that she should be upset at the loss of her daughter's childhood...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2005, 16:26   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie

I think that some young people don't realise that the choice is there for them. Believe me I found nothing sadder in my job than the mother of a 14 year old girl as excited as you can get because she was going to be a grandma..... To whom I pointed out that she should be upset at the loss of her daughter's childhood...
...not to mention the fact that her daughter had been indulging in criminal activity!
Old 30-08-2005, 18:17   #14
God Member

Worst bit is the chances of the father of the unborn being prosecuted is slim, so lets prosecute her mother for being an unfit parent.

Lettie you have a first class point in your answer; in that it is social life or child you cannot have both.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 30-08-2005, 18:51   #15
God Member

I agree with the pricipal of what your saying Spuggie, my daughter is only 3 and I dont let her out of my sight, I do however still have a social life, nothing like it used to be, but I do enjoy a good night out. I dont think its just the young parents though, I think there are parents of all ages who dont care properly for their children, late nights, lack of discipline etc. I know that when my daughter's older she still wont be allowed out of our sight, well maybe when she's 18! lol
grego is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..