Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 08:30   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: Should anyone truely be homeless?

Does anybody know what the situation is with Big Issue sellers? There seems to be a majority of Romanianish region type people selling them now. I have noticed that people don't stay selling it forever so presumably that gets them a foot on the rung and they move on to better things.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-03-2007, 13:01   #17

I don't really believe there's an excuse for homelessness in this day an age. What I mean is there should be adequet safety nets to help people hard on their luck.
Some people have addictions and mental health problems so they need extra care and help to get their life back on track. I don't want to see despair and feel pity when I walk down the street in town.
SimonGudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 15:02   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonGudgeon View Post
What I mean is there should be adequet safety nets to help people hard on their luck.
The safety net got a lot smaller under Thatcher, when a lot of homes for those with mental health issues were removed from their long term placements, when the various hospitals were closed down, and were then left to fend for themselves, supposedly assisted by 'care in the community' programmes, through which the holes in the safety net are massive enough for all but the most determined to fall through.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 15:56   #19
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Does anybody know what the situation is with Big Issue sellers? There seems to be a majority of Romanianish region type people selling them now. I have noticed that people don't stay selling it forever so presumably that gets them a foot on the rung and they move on to better things.
yes its a way for somone to make money

i saw a program called skint where they followed a man around who was on teh dole seeing how he coped

the guy would salvage what got left behind after car boot sales and sell what he got teh week after in his own stall

the other way he made money was to buy copies of the big issue from their distributors and then sell them at a proffit in town just like the people you see down accy, teh big issue gets its money gurenteed up front but teh poor sod who buys them has to hope that he sells enough papers even to break even

my biggest gripe with teh big issue is taht a few years ago there was an undercover documentary about these idiots that fire bomb animal test ceneters and injure doctors and their families who work at abortion clinics and they showed that money from teh big issue company was donated to help keep these people terrorisoing doctors and their families instead of working

as for been homeless their is no excuse for it , most people are homeless through choice you can always get a roof over your head if you are willing to get of your backside and do somthing about it
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 20:48   #20
Senior Member+

Going back six years or so when I worked for the Police, arranging the ID Parades, I was Mrs Wonderful for the Big Issue sellers. They all knew me by name and would call in and ask if they could attend for a parade or two. It gave them a tenner which was good for them and I always did my best to include them. It also taught me that what you see isn't always what you got. A lovely bunch of lads with good manners, I found.

At the other end of the scale of things. We spent a lot of time in Weymouth during the Nineties and there was this old tramp that lived in the wine shop doorway. We christened her 'Dora Doorstep'. When she popped off, it came to light that she owned half of Weymouth.

It doesn't pay to speculate.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 21:00   #21
God Member

Just goes to show you dont know how genuine these people are, I usually buy the Big Issue but thats about it really, I wouldn't give money to a beggar.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 21:08   #22
Senior Member+

Neither would I. We have these 'Rose Ladies' in Tenerife. They come up to you and ask for a penny for a rose but when you open your purse they, by slight of hand, nick your credit cards.

Old 03-03-2007, 21:32   #23
God Member

You'd be gutted wouldn't you, thinking your doing them a favour then getting your cards nicked, will remember that and say no I think.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 23:06   #24
Resident Waffler

That reminds me of our Tunisian thief. I gave her a few dinars for letting us take a photo of her and her grandchild (as is expected) and she reached in the car and grabbed all my change off the ledge that I was keeping for the toll roads. I've still got the photo of her!

Old 03-03-2007, 23:09   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I've still got the photo of her!
Send it the Tunisian Crimewatch programme.

Someone might get a community action reward if they can put a name to her.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 23:12   #26
Resident Waffler

lol - see posters going up all over Tunisia "Do not photograph this woman! She'll nick your dinars!"

Old 03-03-2007, 23:50   #27
Senior Member+

I suppose that it looks quite sweet if you are here on holiday and I expect lots of folk fall for it. I almost did, myself. Don't stop for anyone, even if they just want a light for their ciggie. Best advice is not to take your handbag with you. Wear clothes with pockets for your bits and bats, especially at night or around a market area.

Old 04-03-2007, 00:00   #28
Resident Waffler

Yes, we had little kids trying to sell us flower - just one flower. One kicked Busman in the shin when he wouldn't!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..